Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

a0161613 Rain is fun to play in Singles and still good! That said, you can't expect to bring a full rain team and hit the top of the ladder. When playing rain in BSpot, there are a lot of threats that can still overrun Mega Swampert.

My tip is to not think of Rain as your sole win condition. Rain should be treated as a little boost which might help Kingdra/MSwampert/Scizor etc. As for me, I found that adding a second Mega helps a lot so that I'm not overly reliant on Rain. Namely a mega that deals with things that Swampert can't. There may be other ways around this though, such as ensuring that you have answers to Swampert checks. Again, you'd build a team not to focus on rain entirely but one that can thrive without rain too.

At the start of my team building I had both Swampert and Kingdra and ran into the problem of over-commiting to rain sweepers. Weather teams like everything else needs to be flexible!

If you don't have a team feel free to steal mine and tweak it to your liking! To adapt to the meta I've swapped Salamence for Mega Manectric but there are a lot of ways that you could make it better!
It's an excellent team! I'll try it later for sure!

I was thinking of a similar set up on doubles and triples, with the logic of Prankster rain dancers. First choice was Klefki or Sableye. I'd be reluctant to include Scizor or Ferrothorn but I recognize they would be excellent in this meta. Thundurus maybe?

It's a shame Dragonite didn't work out, it's perfect in theory but I wonder if Tornadus could replace it.

minimize chansey any tips how to deal after it started?
- Perish Song
- Haze
- No Guard
- Sacred Sword
- Leech Seed
- Aegislash / Gengar / Mega Sableye don't care about Seismic Toss or Toxic
- ignore it while you kill it's teammates, then stall ~20 minutes
- (Heart Swap Smeargle = ultimate troll)

Last edited:
problem is fitting one of those on my team i am using a 1 poke per generation team and the only slot i have free is for gen 3

My team:

Code:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz

Florges (F) @ Safety Goggles (gimmicky yes , but it saved my ass already several times )
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Old Member being replaced :

Exploud @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Ice Beam
- Overheat
- Focus Blast

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
problem is fitting one of those on my team i am using a 1 poke per generation team and the only slot i have free is for gen 3

My team:

Code:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz

Florges (F) @ Safety Goggles (gimmicky yes , but it saved my ass already several times )
Ability: Flower Veil
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Old Member being replaced :

Exploud @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Ice Beam
- Overheat
- Focus Blast
Dump Florges for something to deal with Chansey since it's the least valuable member of the team, Aegislash is probably the best since it can just Sacred Sword it do death and is one of the best choices for Battle Spot in general. The physical set isn't as popular in general but it deals with Chansey well enough.

I use this team in OU (with item changes) aswell so yeah aegislash is banned :(

giving eviolite doulbade a go

New changes :

Code:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Rotom is my physical wall in my attempt to contain mega kangaskhan using will o wisp and intimidate ( Landorus ). also due to its typing its a great pivot for scizor fearing fire attacks and dealing with Talonflame 

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide

General lead and intimidate is very useful attacks and spreads are no brainer . scarf also helps outspeeding volcarona after a + and kill it 

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Scizor is my favorite mon and a great at cleaning weakened treats , brick break is to deal with screen support witch i have been finding a lot

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Air Slash
- Dragon Pulse

Team mega dealing tons of damage to oponents and having great coverage , airslash maybe "slashed" for either EQ or focus blast depending in how common i find heatran 

Aegislash  @ Weakness policy 
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spa
Quiet Nature

- Kings Shield
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon

Its here to deal with minimize shenanigans witch unfortunately are common  

Gardevoir @ Assault Vest
Ability: Trace
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast

My Special wall of the team , energy ball is there to deal with Water/Ground types witch my team struggles

Last edited:
Scorpiopt Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but are you trying to use the same team for OU and Battle Spot? The two formats are very different in both banlists and playstyle which heavily affect how you should build teams. Making a team that works for both of them is impossible.

Also it'd be great to see some descriptions of your team members, it'd give us an insight into your choices and reasonings for them :)

I've noticed battle spot on showdown is very different from the actual wifi battle spot. I have no trouble winning most battles on showdown. On the 3ds, it's a totally different story for one reason; Japanese players. I would really like to know what they do differently....its gotta be their EV spreads. That is why I would love to see more battle spot analysis, I am not good at figuring out ideal EV spreads. The Japanese do something differently than us. Obviously gimmicky and surprising sets help but I really want to know what EV spreads they use. I can't help but wonder sometimes if there is heavy cheating and altered pokemon involved, but supposedly Nintendo is on top of that. Their mons always seem to hang in there with like 2% health. And freakin Cresselia...jesus...I cant even find that damn thing, they all have one that is perfect and incredibly annoying.

hi, i'm new to both smogon and competitive battle spot. my first goal has been to build a team i found in a thread here. I however, have hit a snag in getting the timid thundurus i need to complete the team. can i get one from here if anyone happens to have one? if not, what would be the best way to go about getting what i need?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
stonerchris
I've watched a good number of high rating Japanese streams and read some of their blogs and one thing that they may have is a surprise set or two to act as their win condition. However, this does not appear to be necessary and completely standard teams can still win. As far as EV spreads go I don't think there's really anything surprising. It's probably worth noting that the standard Mega Gengar EV spread is 252 HP / 252 Speed as opposed to the 252 SAtk/Speed we're probably used to, and you may encounter some bulky talonflames. If you got any questions about specific EV spreads for Pokemon I can probably answer them for you, unless it's like Tyranitar because there are way too many ways to EV it.

As far as cheating goes - you can't avoid it, but you should always expect your opponents to bring out their best regardless.

Last edited:
Scorpiopt Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but are you trying to use the same team for OU and Battle Spot? The two formats are very different in both banlists and playstyle which heavily affect how you should build teams. Making a team that works for both of them is impossible.

Also it'd be great to see some descriptions of your team members, it'd give us an insight into your choices and reasonings for them :)

no your not , my original plan was to use it in both places , i am already thinking on an OU team , i am editing the previous post regarding my choices so far

Last edited:
Well, my first question is about my Gyarados. I have great success with my adamant mega-gyarados, with waterfall, dragon dance, eq and taunt. 252 atk 252 speed. But i feel like 252 speed is a waste. What should her speed be in order to out-speed what she needs to, without wasting ev's that would be better put into HP? I have about 50 pokemon bred, but I went by the smogon analysis for all of them, and some aren't that great in battle spot. My kanga is 252 atk/speed and adamant, and I feel thats not ideal either.

Well, my first question is about my Gyarados. I have great success with my adamant mega-gyarados, with waterfall, dragon dance, eq and taunt. 252 atk 252 speed. But i feel like 252 speed is a waste. What should her speed be in order to out-speed what she needs to, without wasting ev's that would be better put into HP? I have about 50 pokemon bred, but I went by the smogon analysis for all of them, and some aren't that great in battle spot. My kanga is 252 atk/speed and adamant, and I feel thats not ideal either.
252 Speed Gyarados is just fine. Its 81 speed stat is useful for outspeeding base 80s, but if you want you could ev to take priority BB and such. If there is one thing about tho is that i would recommend Crunch since Water and Dark have amazing coverage together. Not sure about Kanga haven't really used it.

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
@ Mega Gyarados

252 Atk/speed is fine but there are ways to customize it. Mega Gyarados is quite versatile and you can adjust it on what your team needs. Now Mega Gyarados isn't too common so finding a team w/ it is a bit difficult but I'll throw in some thoughts. Since you're mostly concerned about Speed, I'll focus on that

Keep in mind the following speed benchmarks:
- Rotom-W's Speed without investment is 106. Gyarados needs to speed creep that at least. Don't settle for 107.
- Gliscor's uninvested Speed is 115.
- Adamant Breloom's and Bisharp's Speed is 122. Some Pokemon like Zapdos and bulky Mega Kanga hover around those Speeds.
- Max outruns Adamant Dragonite, Chandelure, and Mamoswine.
- 121 Speed (stat) outruns Mega Lucario after a Dragon Dance.
- 127 Speed (stat) outruns +Speed Mega Salamence after a Dragon Dance.
- Max+ outruns Timid Heatran and the above mons w/ +Speed nature.
- Max+ outruns Mega Gengar, Mega Manectric, Mega Lopunny, and Adamant Scarf Landorus-T after a Dragon Dance. You need 138 Speed (stat) minimum to beat the first 3, but at this point you may want to consider just maxing it anyways.

With a set like yours, you might want to consider going upwards to ~124

A few for defense capabilities:
- 111 Defense ensures that regular Gyarados will not be 3HKOed by Mega Blaziken's High Jump Kick after Intimidate.
- No Defense investment is required to survive Garchomp's +1 Outrage as Mega Gyarados. However, you will need 148 Defense (148 EVs too. What a coincidence!) to survive +1 Outrage + Rough Skin.
- May want to consider tossing into HP to survive both phys and special hits better but that's up to you to decide. This one is difficult to calculate.

Also Mega Gyarados' Attack is really high and you can drop it low enough to OHKO Rotom-W after SR damage with Dragon Danced EQ and throw the rest into bulk. That's 212 Attack (stat) btw.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Today, I was taking a peek at the Singles usage statistics, and this came to my attention:

name: Magmortar
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Mach Punch
ability: Vital Spirit
item: Expert Belt
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Modest

I've been considering using Magmortar on one of my teams someday, and this is apparently the average moveset. Of course, I can only assume that this is the EV spread most people use. May I ask: If this a good set? Is there a better set? Thanks.

Awesome, thank you for that Jibaku. I played around with gyarados a bit, and found that she really is just better off with max speed. I tried crunch over eq too, but he really needs eq for rotom, and taunt for cresselia. I always seem to face ones with toxic.

Awesome, thank you for that Jibaku. I played around with gyarados a bit, and found that she really is just better off with max speed. I tried crunch over eq too, but he really needs eq for rotom, and taunt for cresselia. I always seem to face ones with toxic.
If it's a doubles team, just use Mega Gyarados with Follow Me/Rage Powder support so you can Dragon Dance in peace and Crunch Cresselia's feelings...

Today, I was taking a peek at the Singles usage statistics, and this came to my attention:

item: Expert Belt

I've been considering using Magmortar on one of my teams someday, and this is apparently the average moveset. Of course, I can only assume that this is the EV spread most people use. May I ask: If this a good set? Is there a better set? Thanks.
While you most likely won't be using Magmortar for any Physical damage, try using a life orb to make up for the -Attack on its modest ability, just to give mach punch a bit more damage to make a difference. Any little damage can be extremely helpful at times.
item:LifeOrb

Has anyone else tried fake out/last resort mega lopunny? I did a search but could only find reference to this set on ambipom. On lopunny it's pretty badass, being able to hit ghosts, and it takes most people by surprise and wipes them out. It OHKO's a ton of things.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Has anyone else tried fake out/last resort mega lopunny? I did a search but could only find reference to this set on ambipom. On lopunny it's pretty badass, being able to hit ghosts, and it takes most people by surprise and wipes them out. It OHKO's a ton of things.
For the same reason why it's an awful set on ambipom that's only used by low ladder players - it leaves you completely walled by steels (though lop doesn't have to worry about ghosts at least)

Nix_Hex

I hope you make a million dollars
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quick question about Mega Altaria. I recently bred for myself an Adamant DD Altaria for BS Singles, Doubles, AND Enter the Dragon. Thanks to cloning and editing I have four different spreads. After some careful research ...

44 HP / 252 (+0) / 212 (+1) - Outspeeds Jolly 252 +0 Mega Mence and OHKOes
38 HP / 252 (+1) / 220 (+1) - Outspeeds +Spe 252 Greninja and OHKOes barring Sash
20 HP / 252 (+1) / 236 (+1) - Outspeeds +Spe Weavile, Swellow, *Darkrai*, and Noivern and OHKOes barring Sash
4 HP / 252 (+1) / 252 (+1) - Outspeeds +Spe *Shaymin-S*, Ties with Meloetta-P, OHKOes both

In ETD, should I run the last spread? In regular BS Singles / Doubles should I run the third spread? Is Weavile enough of a problem outside of low ladder noobs? As it turns out, Ice Shard does 52.9 - 62.7% to that variant. Thanks guys.

Jibaku

Shaymin-S will probably be rare but you might as well run max I guess, since your next benchmark (Darkrai) is only a few Speed EVs away.

Quick question about Mega Altaria. I recently bred for myself an Adamant DD Altaria for BS Singles, Doubles, AND Enter the Dragon. Thanks to cloning and editing I have four different spreads. After some careful research ...

44 HP / 252 (+0) / 212 (+1) - Outspeeds Jolly 252 +0 Mega Mence and OHKOes
38 HP / 252 (+1) / 220 (+1) - Outspeeds +Spe 252 Greninja and OHKOes barring Sash
20 HP / 252 (+1) / 236 (+1) - Outspeeds +Spe Weavile, Swellow, *Darkrai*, and Noivern and OHKOes barring Sash
4 HP / 252 (+1) / 252 (+1) - Outspeeds +Spe *Shaymin-S*, Ties with Meloetta-P, OHKOes both

In ETD, should I run the last spread? In regular BS Singles / Doubles should I run the third spread? Is Weavile enough of a problem outside of low ladder noobs? As it turns out, Ice Shard does 52.9 - 62.7% to that variant. Thanks guys.
I dont think so much speed investment is necessary in BP singles cause the amount of noivern weavile and swellow is very low, also in lower tiers btw. Im around 1600 and i think its more than 40 battles ago that i encountered one of those. I btw have never encountered a swellow before if i recall correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)