Dawn of the Ducks - A Middle Cup Warstory

I like your commentary, it kept me entertained, even though I have no idea what goes on in Middle Cup.

I have a question, is Middle Cup essentially a metagame for the NFE tier, including Magneton, Scyther, Porygon2, Chansey, etc. ?

Nice battle. I love how you included info about the tier for those (including me) who don't know a thing about mc. I also liked how you were always thinking down the road, which is something that I always forget to do. Keep writing, you're good at it.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments, and the 5* rates too! I won't include any scroll-down suspense in my next warstory, it's clearly not popular.

verycoolguy, Middle Cup only allows Stage 2 evolution Pokemon; the Pokemon have to have evolved from something, and be able to evolve into something. Scyther has not evolved from anything and would therefore be illegal.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments, and the 5* rates too! I won't include any scroll-down suspense in my next warstory, it's clearly not popular.
Lol don't let it make any difference, if the only thing someone can complain about your warstory is "Oh no I need to scroll down a bit more" then you definitely did a good job :D

Great battle diamondfan. And for all you MC haters out there, I ask "How did LC/NU/CAP start?"

Anyway, great warstory, nice comments and pics, and props for posting the first MC warstory on Smogon.

help, I don't get it

sure, it doesn't exist. Neither does NU, LC and any other unofficial tier there might be. But you can still play them. If you have some unexplained grudge on MC that can't be overlooked, post it in the thread or hell, even in the social group -- not in here. Stop dissing the guy and most of the readers that might be scrolling down as we speak.

Lol , I stopped reading this post after you said NU doesn't exist. Lrn2metagame.

taught me a lot about a metagame
Middle Cup is not a metagame, it's non-existant.

Now this is great. Not only will it draw more attention to the still developing Middle Cup metagame, but it also shows off some of the common playstyles and Pokemon that are used. The match itself was cool, but you made a couple of really crappy blunders. However, that didn't hinder this enough to stop it from getting a 9/10 from me.

Great warstory. Thorough commentary and an interesting battle. Nice to see a tier I'm not familiar with.

I have a question, is Middle Cup essentially a metagame for the NFE tier, including Magneton, Scyther, Porygon2, Chansey, etc. ?
Not quite. It's composed of Pokemon that are the second of three-stage evolution lines (so something like Psyduck could not be used, for example, but Wartortle could be). Of the ones you listed, Scyther does not fit the criteria. There is another unofficial NFE tier, but I believe Scyther is banned from that.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really liked this. Never heard of Middle Cup before now and it was a nice read.

Keep up the Middle Cup Warstories!

Lol , I stopped reading this post after you said NU doesn't exist. Lrn2metagame.
Hey, let me explain. You said MC doesn't exist, right? But it has a pokemon list, a playerbase and enough strategy going on in it to be called 'a tier' so I assumed you called it so because it isn't an official tier. So I mentioned NU because it, like LC and MC, aren't official as well. "Lrn2metagame".

Middle Cup is not a metagame, it's non-existant.
NU as a metagame exists as much as Terrorist Cup, UU+BL or Middle Cup does. NU is a "rump tier", a tier to dump unused Pokemon; not a tier that's created to be played unlike UU or OU. Metagame-wise it's neither regulated nor recognized by Smogon. It has a fair fanbase and a forum/irc channel/usergroup dedicated to it though, just like MC.

A few weird, maybe rushed plays, like staying in with Croco against Rose instead of switching to Haunter
He probably didn't want to risk getting slept.

As a MC player, I certainly approve this warstory :P

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
NU is undoubtedly bigger than MC though.

Also, last time I checked, LC was a tier with official recognition, sanctioned Suspect testing and on-site analyses.

Excellent warstory and props for making it a MC one! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and even though there were some odd plays (the croconaw vs roselia one mostly), it was all thought out very well and had excellent commentary. 8.5/10

Also, was this played on PO or Shoddy?

I should probably clarify that I sacrificed Croconaw to keep Haunter around for longer, because even min SpA Roselia has a chance to deal 33% to Haunter with Energy Ball and if he'd been taken out it would have been considerably harder to remove Metang, as it could just hide away and stop Gabite from using Outrage.

This was played on Shoddy on the Smogon University server.

I really enjoyed reading this battle. The new (to me) metagame, the comments, the battle itself.. it was all quite good, and it made for a fantastic read :) the title! even made me smile ;D At the end I'm not sure if you were making fun of the endings most people use during the final 1v1 of the game, considering your Gab was scarfed. If you were making fun of those kind of endings, kudos lol

Write some more, punk! Get to it! ;D

Newsflash: Not officially recognised by Smogon /=/ non-existant. If people play it, then of course a metagame will form, regardless of how Smogon sees it.
Lol, "newsflash", fake metagame is fake. Even if it was recognised by Smogon it'd be a fake metagame. Lmfao.

NU as a metagame exists as much as Terrorist Cup, UU+BL or Middle Cup does. NU is a "rump tier", a tier to dump unused Pokemon; not a tier that's created to be played unlike UU or OU. Metagame-wise it's neither regulated nor recognized by Smogon. It has a fair fanbase and a forum/irc channel/usergroup dedicated to it though, just like MC.

He probably didn't want to risk getting slept.

As a MC player, I certainly approve this warstory :P
Only reason you say it's a metagame is because you play it. Even if over half of the moderation staff played it, it'd be a non-existent metagame. Oh, and by the way, NU is regulated/recognized by Smogon. Smogon might be adding a tier between UU and NU to regulate and make NU a non-broken metagame. Also, NU pokemon have analyses for the NU/UU tier, thus it is already recognized as a tier. MC, however, is a completely fake, completely idiotic thought.

Those ^ claims about MC are completely false. Arguments about NU/LC/whatnot aside, I agree that MC is not yet recognized by Smogon as a metagame, or even an official tier. However, not being recognized by Smogon as an official metagame has not stopped people playing it; Middle Cup has a regular playerbase of over 100 users now and this looks set to continue growing in number. Therefore, Middle Cup is a recognized tier by several members of the Smogon community. If a tier is regularly played and discussed by even a small playerbase, then a metagame will form. A metagameis commonly defined as a high level of competitive play where the success/failure of characters can be reviewed based on character stats and game mechanics, or simply a broad term used to define high level strategy in a game where multiple "winning" strategies are viable. Therefore as long as Middle Cup is regularly played and discussed as it is now, the successes and failures of certain Pokemon will be reviewed and high level strategies will be implemented to win Pokemon battles - oh look, a metagame has formed! This is exactly how the OU and UU metagames were formed, the difference being that those two have usage statistics and suspect tests to define their legal Pokemon, while Middle Cup has a ruleset which only allows middle stage evolutionaries. A metagame would form out of any regularly played tier; Little Cup is just as unorthodox as Middle Cup and perhaps even moreso, but its popularity has grown over the years and even led to it now getting on-site analyses. What, therefore, makes Middle Cup so "fake"? And if it garnered more and more interest over the years, what would stop it getting its own on-site analyses?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it does not matter if you think Middle Cup is "fake" or whatever, a metagame has formed. So far you haven't given any good reasons as to why you think Middle Cup is "fake" or even as to why you don't enjoy it, which irritates me and leads me to disregard your misinformed opinions (and yes, an opinion can be misinformed and/or incorrect if it is based on false fact, which yours is).

Thanks for reading my warstory.

Sorry about this little rant, I just couldn't ignore him/her any longer. Thanks again to everyone else who's commented on the warstory, those with praise and those with constructive criticisms.

Quite a good warstory. Detailed enough comments and pictures. And middle cup is something interesting for everyone.

Also, NU pokemon have analyses for the NU/UU tier, thus it is already recognized as a tier. MC, however, is a completely fake, completely idiotic thought.
Diamondfan1910 has said what I was too lazy to type out, but I just want to point this out. NU Pokemon analyses are tailored towards UU, not NU. NU as a rump tier is recognized by Smogon, but the metagame isn't. There are ideas to make NU an official tier, but with B/W coming out 14 days later chances are it won't be implemented and 4th gen NU will stay an unofficial tier forever; just like MC, probably.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Quite amazing. Your commentary was great and it really showed me Middle Cup in a good light. Props, and this is archive worthy!

Never even heard of this format before reading this story, but it makes me interested enough to try building a team for it. Thanks for the good story!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)