Defog in Ubers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sadly, I haven't really been able to play since I've been having very serious computer issues, that pretty much prevent me from playing on Showdown, so this post is purely speculation that could be totally missing out on important info!.

The thing I take from this is that Defog could be a problem for a lot of Calm Mind Arceus. Ho-Oh just got a lot harder to KO, and with Stealth Rock being harder to keep on the field, a lot of CM Arceus just got easier to check for teams. I don't think they'll be unusable, but in the grand scheme of things, I'd think their prominence will be reduced. So if I were to use most CM Arceus this gen, I'd probably focus on making sure Stealth Rock is actually up often. That could be difficult, but I test pretty much everything, so this is on my list!

(Also, CM Rock, Electric, and Water Arceus just got a whooole lot more interesting to me this gen)

charizard gets this which is neat for sun offense
I'm... not sure how you could possibly be serious. There's a reason Delibird's a bad Rapid Spin user, you know, and there's a reason that Articuno will not now be used to remove hazards. It's because those 4x weak to Stealth Rock have no business removing it unless they can still tank just about anything at half health. That is not a trait of Charizard. Sorry.

I'm... not sure how you could possibly be serious. There's a reason Delibird's a bad Rapid Spin user, you know, and there's a reason that Articuno will not now be used to remove hazards. It's because those 4x weak to Stealth Rock have no business removing it unless they can still tank just about anything at half health. That is not a trait of Charizard. Sorry.
there are plenty of situations where it's legitimate. if you can't think of them, then you are a bad player and not worth explaining to

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
there are plenty of situations where it's legitimate. if you can't think of them, then you are a bad player and not worth explaining to
Do tell us how and when Defog is a viable move on a 4x SR-weak pokemon with mediocre bulk that takes up your megamon slot (surely you're not suggesting to use regular Charizard in ubers, right?) then.

Do tell us how and when Defog is a viable move on a 4x SR-weak pokemon with mediocre bulk that takes up your megamon slot (surely you're not suggesting to use regular Charizard in ubers, right?) then.
1. You don't seem to understand that I am not proposing to use Mega-Charizard Y only for defog. It's there as a filler move and not meant to be relied on. You're using it because it can be useful in some situations.
2. Zard doesn't suffer from 4mss and can fit defog easily
3. If you are using zard in conjunction with Ho-oh there are plenty of times where you can wear down the enemy stealth rocker and get a surprise defog with Zard, and bring in Ho-Oh for free.
4. Flying typing lets you come in on Sticky Web and defog
5. Zard is a pivot--> It's not sweeping teams, it's not a defensive wall that's going to defog constantly. Mega evolution mechanics lets him tank scarf water spout in sun and do a ton of damage back with solar beam, Fire Blast or Overheat hits everything really hard and doesn't let stuff set up, Stone Edge/Ancientpower hit Ho-Oh hard.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've been running this set with relative success.

Giratina @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Roar
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp

Being able to function as a pretty decent special wall, while also being able to cripple physical attackers not named ho oh is a plus. Chesto berry also helps its longevity by quite abit though lefties is admittedly better in long drawn out games.

Donkey mentioned most important stuff, but there are three more possible situations to mention.

a) You see your opponent throwing Spikes/Toxic Spikes. As you are immune to them, you can easily Defog them out.
b) You switch in, while your opponent throws Stealth Rock. If you can scare opponent out (as for example against Forretress) you have free turn to use Defog without taking any SR damage. I also see nothing wrong with running double Defog it is helps your team. ESPECIALLY if you run double x4 weak Pokemon.
c) Defog also ruins Screens, so surprising Defog may ruin this kind of strategy really quick, as many opponents won't expect it coming from Charizard.

While it's not ideal, it has situational uses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)