fears about growing up?

It hit me at the start of my senior year. I got two months before I am off to college. I don't know what to do, I just know not to panic. My family is fairly poor and I still have to pay for my room and board deposit.[They do this to make sure they are putting out accurate numbers, I guess] What good is a full scholarship if you don't get to live on campus??

It's like jumping in the water. Either you learn to swim, or you fucking die. You'll learn to swim, buddy. Hell, you may even learn to fly. Once you get the hang of it, it will be a piece of cake.

Well, i'm 22 (July 16 i'm going to be 23...). So yeah, i think i'm a grown up on his "first steps".
Gotta say: at this age, you need to centralize your life.
Did you choose what you want to do? Good. Work for it. Now's the time.
Don't waste your potential . Know your priorities.
I believe now's the time that your "personality" becomes well rounded: mostly because soon enough you'll step out of your father's wings, you'll know what to do and all that stuff.

Yeah, when i was little i wanted to be a grown up to do whatever i wanted to. Turns out it isn't like what i thought. Childrens...

But to me it really depends. Some may fear, some may not. I'm like in the middle lol.

I'm 18 (19 in October) and I'm not afraid of growing up, but I don't think I'm ready to do so yet.

I'll know when I am.

Alan - Interesting that we're the same year in school. Lucky coincidence. And good luck, man.

I wish I had some advice in the matter, but alas, I get the feeling nobody really does. I am of the opinion that every adult in the world is either:

1. A kid inside and faking it.
2. Empty, as their inner kid got lost or died somewhere.

Everyone just plays along with the game, accepts his part to play as an adult and acts it out.

Relevant:

Note that by "a kid" I don't mean selfish or compulsive. I mean someone with simple pleasures and desires, the person who'd loosen his tie and make every day casual Friday if he could. The kind of person who wishes he could spend all day on a favorite game or cuddling with a friend.

I'm 19, going in to my sophomore year of college. I enjoy college, but generally I can't wait to get out of my house and away from my parents.

However my process has been sped up a bit because my parents are moving. We live in New Jersey now, I go to school in New Jersey, and my parents are moving to California. Long move but we've lived there before. I however am not transferring out of my school or New Jersey. I've made many moves in my life and I'm tired of losing friends. Needless to say i'll be pretty much on my own around this fall.

Whether i'm at school or living in an apartment, i'm pretty much going to be on my own. I look forward to this, whether or not i'll actually grow up, we'll see, but I know this whole ordeal is going to force me to mature.

Needless to say I've always had low standards of success, as long as I can wake up and see the sun, make the people I like/love happy, i'll be good.

I'm worried about what I'm supposed to do after school to. I have no idea what I want in life, and yet I'll be finishing high school next year. Bit scary.
I'm worried about not wanting to do what everyone else wants me to do, or wanting to do things that don't make politically correct sense, or not wanting to do anything at all.

Im 16 now 17 soon, and technically my grades are good but im in a school where everyone's grades are good so in comparison mine aren't. and everyone (parents included) is talking about getting into elite colleges, then becoming a lawyer/politician/researcher/doctor etc, so I'm expected to go the 'normal route' too. but now as Cobalt said I don't know what I want, but the only options I see are those people want of me, so I work towards those. And now I'm worried that I'm preparing for something that I may not eventually want.

yeah, growing up is scary, and expectations get overwhelming. if not for that, I think I'd just think and worry less

I'm 24, and definitely don't class myself as "grown-up". I pretty much still live the university life- drinking most nights, sleeping til 1 everyday, playing computer games with my mates a lot... if I was living in a country where I was expected to look after myself I'd probably be screwed, but as I'm "a useless foreigner" my boss and Korean friends always help me out with stuff that I should be able to do but haven't got a clue about... like paying bills and buying/maintaining a car

Basically I'm a complete retard when it comes to life skills, but I've been very lucky and ended up with a sweet job and some great friends who'll help me out... maybe one day I'll grow up, but I'm not sure that I want to....

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
growing up can feel scary, but it also feels really good when you reflect and see that you have become independent and are now a person in your own right, making your own choices. and remember that even if you have responsibilities like jobs, bills etc, this doesn't stop you from doing what you enjoy - in fact, being responsible for yourself is about the best thing that can happen from that perspective. your parents wont be checking up on you and telling you what to do, and if they do then it doesn't matter because you aren't reliant on them.

i also found that my relationship with my family improved considerably when i left home. there is less stress between us and we converse like adults. it must be a bit freaky when your offspring start giving you their own opinion!

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
well I am 19 and am the eldest amoung my siblings. Left for university in Janurary (its a lot different in New Zealand compared with the US) and had to pick things up on the run. I was living in a new city (the capital) and knew no-one in my Halls of Residence. i was very nevious and worried (money, mates, food, Girlfriend etc) but my Halls was pretty good about the whole thing. We had O week which was basically get smashed every night and you would meet new people. At the end of it we all pretty much knew each other and now it just feels like....home

I am not woried about growing up now since I have hit the time where I must take (and have taken) huge responsibilities and I feel that I am coping rather well. I am now worried about Growing up now since I have adjusted to being more independant and responsible and have grown all the more mature because of it.

Have a Nice Day!

had to put that in there.

I think growing up is when you finally realize you're in love, because it forces you to mature for the girl/guy you fall for, and that you learn to be dependent on yourself, as well as others are dependent on you.

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't plan on "growing up".

I was raised well by my parents, and I've learned how to take care of myself, and I don't think I'll really change drastically in the future. I'm paying my way through school right now, and when I graduate I'll just be replacing my current bills with new ones. Not so different. I'll have a better job, and probably more to do, but when it comes down to brass tax, I'll be working, paying bills, and hopefully finding ways to have fun and relax in my free time. Which is exactly what I do now.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
had to put that in there.
no you didn't

I think growing up is when you finally realize you're in love, because it forces you to mature for the girl/guy you fall for, and that you learn to be dependent on yourself, as well as others are dependent on you.
I really don't think trying to appear like something you're not because you want a girl is the time in your life when you "grow up".

Why not just do what makes you happy for your entire life anyway?

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
it was recently my birthday and i thought to myself: FUCK a whole 16 years of my life have gone by. i have a hatred of growing up. i will hate having to start shaving and i refuse to have grey hair and a hairy chest (i plan to wax or something because it sounds gross -.-) so yeah i think i have peter pan syndrome or whatever. i think our dreams keep us going though. you've got a lot to look forward too, you're "only" 18, you've got loads of partying and having fun to do as well as a career and stuff. i think you might be worrying too much, you can still visit your parents, keep in contact with friends, make new friends, open new windows of opportunity. i think instead of worrying about the future you could adopt a different attitude and look forward to it, heh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)