Flash Clash [Online Competition] - Now Playable on Showdown!

I might also consider running Trick to maybe(?) beat things like Chansey.
There are a few oddballs that only get hit hard by Thunderbolt. Also bulky Water-types exist. A few candidates include Skarmory, Suicune, and Milotic.

Yeah, run Trick.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm sorta considering running Shedinja. Not really because Shedinja would be good on its own or anything, but more because Shedinja might often force an opponent to choose something that can deal with it, which could really help out on the team preview stage! Of course, I guess people could just spam Toxic or something to try and get around that...

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
This might be an excellent option for facilitating my "Maison in the Greater Metagame" research--some of those Maison sets seem tailor-made for a competition like this.
I'm warning you Chansey fans right now, you bring that blob along...Poliwrath 3/4 is/are following right behind you.

Hmm... I think, perhaps Excadrill would be a solid choice in this competition, huh? He's Steel type, and has Mold Breaker, so that helps you resiste Ate Hyper Giga whatever... but then, would he get beat by their coverage moves?

1v1 player here.

Whimsicott has always been one of my favorites to use in that metagame, and it is a highly underrated Pokemon you guys should definitely consider for this competition. If it can live a single attack turn 1, it can use Leech Seed and then spam Prankster Protect + Substitute repeatedly to net a nearly guaranteed victory against anything not Grass-type, Magic Guard, or Magic Bounce. Substitute also allows it to beat Choiced users of moves like Giga Impact and Hyper Beam, though it does remain vulnerable to Hyper Voice or Uproar from those same Pokemon (e.g. Sylveon and Porygon-Z, respectively) if they predict the use of Substitute.

Here's what a set might look like, using a PS importable:

Whimsicott @ Leftovers / Occa Berry (should Blaziken become extremely common, this would serve as a nice lure) / Babiri Berry (both of these berries are also nice for random coverage stuff like Dragonite might have)
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Substitute
- Taunt / Encore

Taunt has always been my preference in the fourth slot; it helps to beat stall Pokemon, especially those with recovery who might be able to defeat Whimsicott. In addition, it serves as a check to Perish Song, something you guys haven't mentioned much but something so strong that it was banned from 1v1. Since the Pokemon that faints last wins, things like minimum speed Azumarill could be dominant here. In 1v1 it used to run a set with Perish Song followed by Endure + Custap Berry Dive, effectively rendering it invulnerable after the first turn. There could also be counterplay in the form of fast Trick Room + Perish Song Meloetta, which developed as a response to Azumarill. Watch out!

edit: you can also protect + taunt against choiced trick users!

Last edited:
How would Destiny Bond/Explosion decide the winner? User auto-wins? user auto-loses? Slower mon? Faster mon?

Aggron @ Choice Band
Adamant, 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Speed
Ability: Sturdy

- Head Smash (for everything)
- Earthquake (for Steels)
- Aqua Tail / Ice Punch (For Hippowdon / Gliscor)
- Metal Burst (becuz Aggron)

Donphan @ Custap Berry
Adamant, 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Speed

- Earthquake
- Endeavor
- Ice Shard
- Seed Bomb

Swampert @ Rindo Berry
Relaxed, 252 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def
Ability: Torrent

- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Scald
- Endeavor

Among other cheese like WP Dragonite/Aegislash, LO Ambipom (Fake Out -> Double Hit, or Last Resort, actually has significant KO potential), Encore+Disable Alakazam against slower foes, etc.
Sturdy Metal Burst + Taunt Bastiodon goooooooooooooooooooo

Soul Dew Latios looks like it's escaped ban.
I'm sure there will be plenty of answers people will prepare, but for the unprepared it looks like a really solid choice.

Also, I imagine Magic Guard Clefable will be popular for stoppint stall strategies.
Unaware clefable would do nicely against weakness policy strategies.

Personally, it's Psychoshift Sigilyphs time to shine.

I doubt there is a species clause because having more of one pokemon actually puts you at a disadvantage in this competition. Okay, Soul Dew Latios absolutely destroys. That's like having Specs and AV without the restriction of having only damage moves and selecting only one move. Why would they not ban that?

Oh, shit. This is really interesting. I hope I actually have time to throw something together with school, as I suspect it'll require breeding.

OHKO abuse viable, non? Does Smogon's 1 vs. 1 meta ban that?

Also thinking fast sleep abusers are going to be useful here, though they'll probably prompt a Lum holder at team preview (which you can take advantage of??).

Pretty damn sure I want bulky Thundurus-I; the other five remain. Will definitely want a scary Counter/Mirror Coat user or two (Kee Berry Milotic?). Dragonite's likely as well--Weakness Policy with Agility? Although I'm sure if that were good, it would already be used in Smogon's 1 vs 1.

EDIT--

SWAGKEY??? Taunt shuts it down, but like Smeargle in doubles, it seems like it would have an enormous team-preview presence that could be used to your advantage.

Just theorymonning, but so far I'm liking/want to test: Aegislash, Thundurus-I, Klefki, Milotic, Dragonite--slot open, potentially for something with Sturdy, a solid Lum Berry attacker, or a competent OHKO 'mon. Choice Band Talonflame could also be an ally in team preview, removing the opponent's option to bring any fast, frail Pokmon, since Focus Sash is banned. In fact, I'm definitely going to start with that.

EDIT EDIT --

Never mind. Using both Perish Song Azu and Subseed Whimsicott because I like winning.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Would the old spore (or dark void)/imprison/transform smeargle be viable here, or does the lack of a sash make it unviable?

It seems like the Interference Alakazam set from Kanto Classic could work here. Protect first. Depending on what they use, Encore/Disable?

Hey guys! 1v1 player here! Due to my experience in 1v1 and since I have nothing to do today I have decided to come and give a hand and breakdown some Pokemon that may be viable in my eyes and usable, I'm going to use my own ranking system. Good luck to anyone that's going to participate!

3 Stars Threats ★★★

From a 1v1 player perspective those are the threats you should be prepared for, or you should use, they have limited checks and gives you advantage in the game.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Toxic/T-wave
- Charm/Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Thanks to the abundance of special attackers, Chansey should shine in this meta but be wary of Trick! Combine this blob's special defense with Charm and you will get a Pokemon that will be hard to stop --whether being attacked specially or physically--, it is able to take on the plethora of Choice Scarves Pokemon and defies Perish song strategies that I will talk about later on. Due to the incompatibility of Charm and Seismic Toss, Chansey is blessed with two different sets. You either stop your opponent with Charm+Toxic yet crumble against special attackers that have Trick and against steel types or you use a T-wave+Seismic Toss which doesn't always use to Special Trick users since you have Seismic Toss, on another hand it is risky against physical attackers. Thus said Chansey is a Pokemon to watch out for and hopefully you guess which one you're up against!
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Relaxed Nature
- Toxic
- Charm
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Relaxed Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 244 Def / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Uproar / Trick
- Blizzard
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball

On the first sight, everyone knew that Porygon-Z was going to be a monster in the metagame thanks to an adaptability boosted Hyper Beam. Specs Porygon-Z is a set that will cause havoc, and will aim taking down your opponent with your coverage or STAB. Blizzard is a way of hitting Dragonite effectively and fainting it even behind its Multiscale. Uproar is an option to hit Pokemon behind Substitute, though you can opt for Trick as it can cripple Chansey and other specially defensive walls. Shadow Ball allows you to hit Ghost types such as Aegislash, without being completely walled. EVs are tailored to live common physical hits from Aegislash, Dragonite, Garchomp and others (Without a band).

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Ice Beam

If you lack speed control and need a Pokemon to remediate that, slap a Choice Scarf on your Porygon, it will be able to beat banded physical attackers and faster special attackers such as Latios.

Porygon-Z @ Custap Berry
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Endure
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball

This set is also able to beat faster threats in Latios, Greninja thanks to endure and custap berry, adding to that defensive oriented Pokemon such as Chansey without Trick, Metal Burst Aggron and more. Endure is a nice way to also stop opposing Porygon-Z and other Pokemon that uses rechargable moves such as Grennja and Sylveon.

Thanks The Official Glyx for the last set.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def or 252 Spd / 8 Spd or 8 Def
Brave/Careful Nature
Ivs: 0 Spe
- Perish Song
- Dive/Encore
- Protect
- Substitute

Ah, there's nothing better than good ol' easter bunny. Perish song was suspected and banned from the 1v1 meta due to its limited checks. Perish song combined with a great typing in Fairy/Water which gives it immunity to the omnipresent Dragon type and reasonable bulk is deadly. 3 turns are enough to frustrate your opponent and take a win. Dive is used to buy free turns since they can't hit you while you're under-water, protect is self-explaining. Encore can be used to stop set-up moves from ravaging this bunny. EVs depends on your team and which side do you want it to sponge hits, while 0 speed IVs allow it to not be outslowed. (Well, you can leave it with full IVs, it doesn't really matter much)

Dragonite @ Choice Band / Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Iron Head

One of the top physical attackers in the metagame, thanks to Multiscale Dragonite is able to pull through strong attacks and retaliating back with its Choice Band set. Outrage is its strong STAB move which is able to blow away a good portion of the meta, Earthquake and Fire Punch allows it to go past the steel resist and Iron Head is used for pesky fairy types such as Sylveon and Whimsicott.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Spa / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Overheat
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge / Power Up Punch / Substitute

I do believe Blaziken is a 3 stars threats that I have forgotten, it has to capabilities to go mixed, fully physical and even fully special. I like the mixed set better. Thanks to Speed Boost it gains an inner Choice Scarf making it outspeed a bunch of the meta, combine that with raw power and Life orb you got a destructive threat. Idk how I forgot to rank this but a check is needed, or you will surely lose against it. This is the best set in my opinion, protect helps you defeat faster Pokemon that doesn't carry choice scarf (Specs PZ), Overheat hits Aegislash without worrying about King's Shield drop and other Pokemon if you don't want to risk a High Jump Kick miss. Substitute lets Blaziken escape status while Stone Edge hits flying types and PuP helps against more defensive oriented builds but it isn't that recommended.

2 Stars Threats ★★

These Pokemon have more checks than the 3 stars threats but can check a plethora of Pokemon that can be problematic to the team.

View Uselesscrab post

Rhyperior @ Choice Band / Custap Berry
Ability: Solid Rock
Adamant Nature
- Rock Wrecker
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Avalanche / Fire Punch / Counter / Endure

Rhyperior is also a fantastic Pokemon to have on your side due to its ability to sponge physical attacks and retaliate back thanks to a solid Choice Band set accompanied with Rock Wrecker that is able to demolish a good portion of the meta alongside Earthquake giving it great coverage, rock blast is to get through Substitute. Counter is picked as last move to be able to punish physical attackers that might not faint from the beast's attacks, Avalanche is used to go through Dragonite and Fire Punch to Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Scizor which might have a nice in the metagame. Unfortunately it falls prey to most Special attackers in the meta though it can run Custap Berry, to punish frail special attackers with Rock Wrecker alongside Endure.

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Dark Pulse

Wondered where was Greninja? Here it is! Of course it's going to be ranked here! Thanks to an amazing ability in Protean, and a speed tier to be proud of, Greninja is another Special attacker that is fun to use! Witness the day where Hydro Cannon is viable on starters -well at all-! Firing a strong rechargable move is nothing new but its the typing that hits more things and the perfect coverage of Greninja. Ice Beam allows it to hit Dragon- and Grass- types that resists Hydro Cannon. Gunk shot is used to hit specially defensive Pokemon and Fairy pokemon while Dark pulse serves as Coverage against Pokemon that resists the other moves such as Slowbro.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Gentle Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Aegislash might be one of the rare Pokemon I have never used or have little knowledge about, but that won't stop me creating something for it. Due to it's great defensive typing Aegislash might see some use. Specially defensive oriented set to beat Pokemon such as Porygon-Z and Greninja after getting the Weakness Policy boost with Sacred Sword, Shadow ball is the way to go mixed since you don't want to be countered by Counter-Coat users (Mirror Coat+Counter) and Shadow Sneak is a nice priority move.

Golem @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Golem is one of the few Pokemon that can make use of Sturdy effectively. Thanks to its typing and STAB move, this Pokemon is able to check a plethora of threats such as Sylveon, Aegislash, Dragonite, Greninja. Rock Blast instead of another Rock move because it hits the Pokemon behind a sub and offers more accuracy, with Earthquake hitting steel types. This Pokemon is splashable on any team even though it falls prey to bulkier builds.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fake Tears
- Hyper Beam
- Protect
- Wish

Also one of the Pokemon I haven't used, but a set like this seems effective against more defensive builds as Fake Tears combined with Hyper Beam powered up by Pixilate is source of destruction. Wish and Protect aids Sylveon power through while letting it gain health in case the foe's special defensive is outstanding such as Chansey. While more offensive builds with Hyper Voice to go through Substitute are usable, or a set with charm instead of recovery.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

Faster than Dragonite, doesn't have multiscale but is still a viable scarfer with good offensive presence.

1 Star Threats ★

Pokemon that are usable and could check a portion of the meta but are checked easier than the others.

Smeargle @ Quick Claw
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Speed
Naive Nature
- Spore / Dark Void
- Imprison
- Transform
- Protect / King's Shield

I was torn whether to put Smeargle here or in the 2 Star Threat rank due to its niche but the set is luck based which isn't that good for being a high threat. The good ol' Transprison is here! Spore or Dark Void puts the opponent to sleep creating a free turn to Imprison and Transform, nothing easier. Dark Void is used to get pass Grass types.

Aggron @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Metal Burst
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Aggron? Viable? Yes! Sturdy is an amazing ability in this metagame if the Pokemon that is blessed with can fully use it! Which is the case of Aggron. A great offensive typing combined with Metal Burst gives Aggron a way to power through offensive Pokemon. Aggron might not be able to OHKO everything, the usage of Metal burst is highly encouraged as you can retaliate back the damage done. Head Smash goes through a plethora of Pokemon while Heavy Slam hits hard due to Aggron's weight, Earthquake is used as coverage taking out other Steel types. It is also able to win Perish-Song wars against Azumarill due to its low speed.

Alakazam
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect / Substitute
- Disable
- Encore
- Psychic

Encore+Disable is a niche strategy that helps Alakazam against slower banded/specs Pokemon.

Archeops @ Choice Band
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Switcheroo

Archeops has a good speed tier, and great attacking stats and moves such as Head Smash to abuse it from, yet it has no bulk and falls prey to bulky offensive Pokemon but its still a good Pokemon to use and Switcheroo helps it against Defensive builds specially Chansey.

That's all I have to give, there's lot more Pokemon to discover and I'm leaving this on you guys. Mandibuzz, Jellicent, Gliscor, Togekiss, Slowbro are all good Pokemon. I'll be responding separately to any question in this thread, and if you're seeking sets for a specific Pokemon, I could help so ask~.

Leaving here a PS! sample team so you can get used to the format! Goodluck again~
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Perish Song
- diveencore
- Protect
- Substitute

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Blizzard
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Rock Wrecker
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Avalanche

Mandibuzz (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Torment

Smeargle @ Quick Claw
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD
Naive Nature
- Spore / Dark Void
- Imprison
- Transform
- Protect

Gentle Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Last edited:
Hey guys! 1v1 player here! Due to my experience in 1v1 and since I have nothing to do today I have decided to come and give a hand a breakdown some Pokemon that may be viable in my eyes and usable, I'm going to use my own ranking system. Good luck to anyone that's going to participate!

3 Stars Threats ★★★

From a 1v1 player perspective those are the threats you should be prepared for, or you should use, they have limited checks and gives you advantage in the game.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Relaxed Nature
- Toxic/T-wave
- Charm/Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Thanks to the abundance of special attackers, Chansey should shine in this meta but be wary of Trick! Combine this blob's special defense with Charm and you will get a Pokemon that will be hard to stop --whether being attacked specially or physically--, it is able to take on the plethora of Choice Scarves Pokemon and defies Perish song strategies that I will talk about later on. Due to the incompatibility of Charm and Seismic Toss, Chansey is blessed with two different sets. You either stop your opponent with Charm+Toxic yet crumble against special attackers that have Trick and against steel types or you use a T-wave+Seismic Toss which doesn't always use to Special Trick users since you have Seismic Toss, on another hand it is risky against physical attackers. Thus said Chansey is a Pokemon to watch out for and hopefully you guess which one you're up against!
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Relaxed Nature
- Toxic
- Charm
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Relaxed Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Uproar / Trick
- Blizzard
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball

On the first sight, everyone knew that Porygon-Z was going to be a monster in the metagame thanks to an adaptability boosted Hyper Beam. Specs Porygon-Z is a set that will cause havoc, and will aim taking down your opponent with your coverage or STAB. Blizzard is a way of hitting Dragonite effectively and fainting it even behind its Multiscale. Uproar is an option to hit Pokemon behind Substitute, though you can opt for Trick as it can cripple Chansey and other specially defensive walls. Shadow Ball allows you to hit Ghost types such as Aegislash, without being completely walled. EVs are tailored to live common physical hits from Aegislash, Dragonite, Garchomp and others (Without a band).

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Ice Beam

If you lack speed control and need a Pokemon to remediate that, slap a Choice Scarf on your Porygon, it will be able to beat banded physical attackers and faster special attackers such as Latios.

Porygon-Z @ Custap Berry
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Endure
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball

This set is also able to beat faster threats in Latios, Greninja thanks to endure and custap berry, adding to that defensive oriented Pokemon such as Chansey without Trick, Metal Burst Aggron and more. Endure is a nice way to also stop opposing Porygon-Z and other Pokemon that uses rechargable moves such as Grennja and Sylveon.

Thanks The Official Glyx for the last set.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def or 252 Spd / 8 Spd or 8 Def
Brave/Careful Nature
Ivs: 0 Spe
- Perish Song
- Dive/Encore
- Protect
- Substitute

Ah, there's nothing better than good ol' easter bunny. Perish song was suspected and banned from the 1v1 meta due to its limited checks. Perish song combined with a great typing in Fairy/Water which gives it immunity to the omnipresent Dragon type and reasonable bulk is deadly. 3 turns are enough to frustrate your opponent and take a win. Dive is used to buy free turns since they can't hit you while you're under-water, protect is self-explaining. Encore can be used to stop set-up moves from ravaging this bunny. EVs depends on your team and which side do you want it to sponge hits, while 0 speed IVs allow it to not be outslowed. (Well, you can leave it with full IVs, it doesn't really matter much)

Dragonite @ Choice Band / Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Iron Head

One of the top physical attackers in the metagame, thanks to Multiscale Dragonite is able to pull through strong attacks and retaliating back with its Choice Band set. Outrage is its strong STAB move which is able to blow away a good portion of the meta, Earthquake and Fire Punch allows it to go past the steel resist and Iron Head is used for pesky fairy types such as Sylveon and Whimsicott.

2 Stars Threats ★★

These Pokemon have more checks than the 3 stars threats but can check a plethora of Pokemon that can be problematic to the team.

View Uselesscrab post

Rhyperior @ Choice Band / Custap Berry
Adamant Nature
- Rock Wrecker
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Avalanche / Fire Punch / Counter / Endure

Rhyperior is also a fantastic Pokemon to have on your side due to its ability to sponge physical attacks and retaliate back thanks to a solid Choice Band set accompanied with Rock Wrecker that is able to demolish a good portion of the meta alongside Earthquake giving it great coverage, rock blast is to get through Substitute. Counter is picked as last move to be able to punish physical attackers that might not faint from the beast's attacks, Avalanche is used to go through Dragonite and Fire Punch to Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Scizor which might have a nice in the metagame. Unfortunately it falls prey to most Special attackers in the meta though it can run Custap Berry, to punish frail special attackers with Rock Wrecker alongside Endure.

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Dark Pulse

Wondered where was Greninja? Here it is! Of course it's going to be ranked here! Thanks to an amazing ability in Protean, and a speed tier to be proud of, Greninja is another Special attacker that is fun to use! Witness the day where Hydro Cannon is viable on starters -well at all-! Firing a strong rechargable move is nothing new but its the typing that hits more things and the perfect coverage of Greninja. Ice Beam allows it to hit Dragon- and Grass- types that resists Hydro Cannon. Gunk shot is used to hit specially defensive Pokemon and Fairy pokemon while Dark pulse serves as Coverage against Pokemon that resists the other moves such as Slowbro.

Gentle Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Aegislash might be one of the rare Pokemon I have never used or have little knowledge about, but that won't stop me creating something for it. Due to it's great defensive typing Aegislash might see some use. Specially defensive oriented set to beat Pokemon such as Porygon-Z and Greninja after getting the Weakness Policy boost with Sacred Sword, Shadow ball is the way to go mixed since you don't want to be countered by Counter-Coat users (Mirror Coat+Counter) and Shadow Sneak is a nice priority move.

Golem @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Golem is one of the few Pokemon that can make use of Sturdy effectively. Thanks to its typing and STAB movesand priority in Sucker Punch, this Pokemon is able to check a plethora of threats such as Sylveon, Aegislash, Dragonite, Greninja. Rock Blast instead of another Rock move because it hits the Pokemon behind a sub and offers more accuracy, with Earthquake hitting steel types and Sucker Punch to finish off the opponent this Pokemon is splashable on any team even though it falls prey to bulkier builds.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fake Tears
- Hyper Beam
- Protect
- Wish

Also one of the Pokemon I haven't used, but a set like this seems effective against more defensive builds as Fake Tears combined with Hyper Beam powered up by Pixilate is source of destruction. Wish and Protect aids Sylveon power through while letting it gain health in case the foe's special defensive is outstanding such as Chansey. While more offensive builds with Hyper Voice to go through Substitute are usable, or a set with charm instead of recovery.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

Faster than Dragonite, doesn't have multiscale but is still a viable scarfer with good offensive presence.

1 Star Threats ★

Pokemon that are usable and could check a portion of the meta but are checked easier than the others.

Smeargle @ Quick Claw
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Speed
Naive Nature
- Spore / Dark Void
- Imprison
- Transform
- Protect / King's Shield

I was torn whether to put Smeargle here or in the 2 Star Threat rank due to its niche but the set is luck based which isn't that good for being a high threat. The good ol' Transprison is here! Spore or Dark Void puts the opponent to sleep creating a free turn to Imprison and Transform, nothing easier. Dark Void is used to get pass Grass types.

Aggron @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Metal Burst
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Aggron? Viable? Yes! Sturdy is an amazing ability in this metagame if the Pokemon that is blessed with can fully use it! Which is the case of Aggron. A great offensive typing combined with Metal Burst gives Aggron a way to power through offensive Pokemon. Aggron might not be able to OHKO everything, the usage of Metal burst is highly encouraged as you can retaliate back the damage done. Head Smash goes through a plethora of Pokemon while Heavy Slam hits hard due to Aggron's weight, Earthquake is used as coverage taking out other Steel types. It is also able to win Perish-Song wars against Azumarill due to its low speed.

Alakazam
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect / Substitute
- Disable
- Encore
- Psychic

Encore+Disable is a niche strategy that helps Alakazam against slower banded/specs Pokemon.

Archeops @ Choice Band
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Switcheroo

Archeops has a good speed tier, and great attacking stats and moves such as Head Smash to abuse it from, yet it has no bulk and falls prey to bulky offensive Pokemon but its still a good Pokemon to use and Switcheroo helps it against Defensive builds specially Chansey.

That's all I have to give, there's lot more Pokemon to discover and I'm leaving this on you guys. Mandibuzz, Jellicent, Gliscor, Togekiss, Slowbro are all good Pokemon. I'll be responding separately to any question in this thread, and if you're seeking sets for a specific Pokemon, I could help so ask~.

Leaving here a PS! sample team so you can get used to the format! Goodluck again~
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Perish Song
- diveencore
- Protect
- Substitute

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Blizzard
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Rock Wrecker
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Avalanche

Mandibuzz (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Torment

Smeargle @ Quick Claw
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD
Naive Nature
- Spore / Dark Void
- Imprison
- Transform
- Protect

Gentle Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
What are your thoughts on Blaziken? Since that was banned in smogon 1v1 but it's legal here.

How does perish song works? The last pokemon to faint wins?
Yeah, and the faster mon faints first.

How does perish song works? The last pokemon to faint wins?
Correct! That's why outslowing your foe is needed.

What are your thoughts on Blaziken? Since that was banned in smogon 1v1 but it's legal here.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Overheat
- High Jump Kick

I do believe Blaziken is a 3 stars threats that I have forgotten, it has to capabilities to go mixed, fully physical and even fully special. I like the mixed set better. Thanks to Speed Boost it gains an inner Choice Scarf making it outspeed a bunch of the meta, combine that with raw power and Life orb you got a destructive threat. Idk how I forgot to rank this but a check is needed, or you will surely lose against it. This is the best set in my opinion, protect helps you defeat faster Pokemon that doesn't carry choice scarf (Specs PZ), Overheat hits Aegislash without worrying about King's Shield drop and other Pokemon if you don't want to risk a High Jump Kick miss. Substitute lets Blaziken escape status while Stone Edge hits flying types and PuP helps against more defensive oriented builds but it isn't that recommended.

**Added in original post.
**Will also remove sucker punch Golem since it's illegal but it's still a great Pokemon to use.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Correct! That's why outslowing your foe is needed.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Overheat
- High Jump Kick

**Added in original post.
**Will also remove sucker punch Golem since it's illegal but it's still a great Pokemon to use.
Any reason why you chose overheat over blast burn?

Is there a reason Sub + Toxic Aegislash isn't used much in 1 vs. 1? Seems like it could potentially be good with Sacred Sword for coverage.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)