Flash Clash [Online Competition] - Now Playable on Showdown!

Any reason why you choose overheat over blast burn?
Sole reason Overheat is picked over Blast burn is to make use of the mixed coverage, and using a recharge-move on this set is a waste of turn that could get you OHKO'd, adding to that Blaziken isn't really the Pokemon made to use a rechargable move, it doesn't really have bulk to abuse it.

Is there a reason Sub + Toxic Aegislash isn't used much in 1 vs. 1? Seems like it could potential be good with Sacred Sword for coverage.
It is actually viable not as much as its offensive set because the lack of recovery hinders it.

I have one other question: What stops Perish Song Azumarill from being absolutely destroyed by any Pokemon with Taunt? (Especially something like Thundurus.)

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I have one other question: What stops Perish Song Azumarill from being absolutely destroyed by any Pokemon with Taunt? (Especially something like Thundurus.)
I guess you could give it a mental herb but then you don't get the endure+custap+dive stuff.

Sole reason Overheat is picked over Blast burn is to make use of the mixed coverage, and using a recharge-move on this set is a waste of turn that could get you OHKO'd, adding to that Blaziken isn't really the Pokemon made to use a rechargable move, it doesn't really have bulk to abuse it.
I figured blaziken is meant to just OHKO other things after getting the speed boost, but I guess not.

The Pokemon have its checks but they are limited that's why it defines the meta. It may be destroyed by Taunt but the amount of Pokemon that could run taunt are minimal since they need to use their offensive capabilities. Also the reason it also defines the meta is, how can you know that the Azumarill is Perish Song or Banded? It has the ability to be both, so mind games. Also Thundurus is an okay Pokemon but not that great.

I doubt there is a species clause because having more of one pokemon actually puts you at a disadvantage in this competition. Okay, Soul Dew Latios absolutely destroys. That's like having Specs and AV without the restriction of having only damage moves and selecting only one move. Why would they not ban that?
That seems broken to me. I read the rules and I guess it didn't say anything about Soul Dew, but I just don't think about that item since its banned in BSS and that's what I play. So what is good to prepare for it? And you didn't mention Latias :P She's really good too.

I was thinking Mienshao would be really good. Fake Out for Sturdy, and HJK is really strong and hits lots of Sturdy mons super hard. U-Turn is obviously useless here, so I think maybe HP Fire or Ice. Fire is a way to hit Shedinja(though it has other ways,) roasts Scizor, Ferro, and Skarms(definitely not OHKOing any of them tho, and Shan can't take a hit, so mayb HP Fire is useless on it.) Ice is pretty obvious. Both hit Breloom hard, tho I doubt they kill it even after a Fake Out. Maybe you want Acrobatics for that, but then you'd really want a disposable item and Sash is banned, so yea. Idk if Shan works here, would like some opinions.

Something that was not said here is the timer. Since a battle is 5 minutes long and we have 30 seconds to choose a move, I think it's really easy to play with the timer. Considering that a turn last approximately 1 minute, a battle can be finished in 6 turns so I think a Chansey set with Protect can be really huge as it reduces the number of turns to 3, and using Soft-Boiled to regain max health is pretty easy.
Btw, when will the format be on PS!, can we use a specific timer ?

Something that was not said here is the timer. Since a battle is 5 minutes long and we have 30 seconds to choose a move, I think it's really easy to play with the timer. Considering that a turn last approximately 1 minute, a battle can be finished in 6 turns so I think a Chansey set with Protect can be really huge as it reduces the number of turns to 3, and using Soft-Boiled to regain max health is pretty easy.
Btw, when will the format be on PS!, can we use a specific timer ?
We only have 10 seconds to select a move. If we had 30, I wouldn't even touch this format. Also, they can't customize the timer on PS! so we will have normal PS! timer (150 seconds).

I noticed people have mentioned using Endure on a Perish Song Azumarill. I'm fairly sure Azumarill cannot learn Endure in GenVI, and therefore cannot be used due to the pentagon rule.
You are right, endure is a TM from gen IV. That's why sitrus berry and Max def seems to be a option to perish azumarill, with the moves Perish Trap, Dive, Substitute and Protect. It gives longevity, maybe.

That seems broken to me. I read the rules and I guess it didn't say anything about Soul Dew, but I just don't think about that item since its banned in BSS and that's what I play. So what is good to prepare for it? And you didn't mention Latias :P She's really good too.

I was thinking Mienshao would be really good. Fake Out for Sturdy, and HJK is really strong and hits lots of Sturdy mons super hard. U-Turn is obviously useless here, so I think maybe HP Fire or Ice. Fire is a way to hit Shedinja(though it has other ways,) roasts Scizor, Ferro, and Skarms(definitely not OHKOing any of them tho, and Shan can't take a hit, so mayb HP Fire is useless on it.) Ice is pretty obvious. Both hit Breloom hard, tho I doubt they kill it even after a Fake Out. Maybe you want Acrobatics for that, but then you'd really want a disposable item and Sash is banned, so yea. Idk if Shan works here, would like some opinions.
Mienshao's Reckless HJK is the second strongest physical attack I can physically imagine in a meta devoid of Megas (even then: Mega Medicham is the only thing that outdoes it), so Fake Out -> HJK murders basically everything. No sash = Ghosts cringe over Knock Off.
Reckless Mienshao without Sash is something that takes giant balls to run, and in all my battles I've only ever seen one person with the stones to do it (other than myself) for 95% of VGC14 and half of 15.
Funny calcs:

252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 175-208 (95.6 - 113.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (Fake Out obviously chips enough)
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 110-133 (53.1 - 64.2%) -- 69.1% chance to 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery (assuming min damage Fake Out roll)
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 169-200 (95.4 - 112.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO (again, Fake Out ensures the KO)
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 112-133 (72.2 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery (because fuck your typing)
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Breloom: 140-165 (83.8 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Why exactly were you unsure of KOing Breloom?)

252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 109-129 (50.6 - 60%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (again, Fake Out = you win)
4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mienshao on a critical hit: 106-126 (75.1 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage (so yes, you can 2HKO it safely)

tl;dr HJK is so absurdly fucking powerful that it WILL be gut-wrenching to stomach if you can even survive it, and should always be used unless 1) Ghost or 2) Vespiquen.
Resisted HJK =234 / 2 = 117, Super effective Hidden Power = 120, and base stat vastly offsets 3 base power.

Not doing this competition for multiple reasons, but will always defend our adorable death machine.

I noticed people have mentioned using Endure on a Perish Song Azumarill. I'm fairly sure Azumarill cannot learn Endure in GenVI, and therefore cannot be used due to the pentagon rule.
Good point, that was my bad. Shows you my considerable inexperience with actual Nintendo tournaments lol. Just use the one Glyx posted, as it will be almost as potent, just like Glyx and 3heartschall said earlier.

Mienshao's Reckless HJK is the second strongest physical attack I can physically imagine in a meta devoid of Megas (even then: Mega Medicham is the only thing that outdoes it), so Fake Out -> HJK murders basically everything. No sash = Ghosts cringe over Knock Off.
Reckless Mienshao without Sash is something that takes giant balls to run, and in all my battles I've only ever seen one person with the stones to do it (other than myself) for 95% of VGC14 and half of 15.
Funny calcs:

252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 175-208 (95.6 - 113.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (Fake Out obviously chips enough)
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 110-133 (53.1 - 64.2%) -- 69.1% chance to 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery (assuming min damage Fake Out roll)
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 169-200 (95.4 - 112.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO (again, Fake Out ensures the KO)
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 112-133 (72.2 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery (because fuck your typing)
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Breloom: 140-165 (83.8 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Why exactly were you unsure of KOing Breloom?)

252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 109-129 (50.6 - 60%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (again, Fake Out = you win)
4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mienshao on a critical hit: 106-126 (75.1 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage (so yes, you can 2HKO it safely)

tl;dr HJK is so absurdly fucking powerful that it WILL be gut-wrenching to stomach if you can even survive it, and should always be used unless 1) Ghost or 2) Vespiquen.
Resisted HJK =234 / 2 = 117, Super effective Hidden Power = 120, and base stat vastly offsets 3 base power.

Not doing this competition for multiple reasons, but will always defend our adorable death machine.
Lol, not sure what I was thinking with Breloom. That thing messes up my thinking.

Reckless is crazy. It's so OP that it buffs srptuff that doesn't necessarily cause recoil(for HJK that's only when you miss, though obviously it's game over if you do here.) The big problem with Shan is it really can't take a hit from most strong stuff at all. Anything Scarf will probably get the best of you(unless you're Scarf. Running Adamant would somewhat make up for not having Fake Out, tho Sturdy mons then eat you.)

Shan's HJK is pretty much the strongest physical attack not from a mega or boosted by an item after Medicham's HJK. It's actually stronger than Hitmonlee's Reckless HJK, since Hitmonlee's has 5 less base Atk. The only other thing I can think of that's really close is Haxorus' Outrage, but acts still a little weaker and obviously much worse coverage.

EDIT: Forgot about Darmanitan's Flare Blitz.

Last edited:

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Team is already set to go...it isn't quite what I originally had in mind, but the basic premise is pretty much the same, so its all good.

I will basically be going into this under the guise of a Maison Ranger, with one notable exception. Following (mostly) those rules, I will be sticking to Imperfect Set 4 Water/Grass/Ground sets:

BM156 (Barbaracle) (F) (Lvl.51) @ Razor Claw
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Def
IVs: 31/31/24/31/31/31
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Razor Shell
- Cross Chop
- Shadow Claw

BM174 (Clawitzer) (M) (Lvl.67) @ Choice Specs/Life Orb
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP/6 Def/252 SAtk
IVs: 31/15/31/31/31/8
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Item is contingent on whether or not Item Clause is enforced for this or not; Specs if no, LO if yes.

NBM645 (Poliwrath) (F) (Lvl.50) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Spd
IVs: 31/31/31/21/31/31
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Hypnosis
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Focus Punch

Yeah, not quite Poliwrath3...I completely forgot about Encore as an Egg Move when raising her, but she was the first hatchling and came out optimally IV-wise, so I decided to keep it and use Hypnosis as filler and a future Egg Move to pass along.

BM745 (Serperior) (M) (Lvl.50) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 6 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spd
IVs: 19/31/31/31/31/31
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Leaf Blade
- Leech Seed
- Coil

In keeping with the rules of Maison Bot Usage (TM), only Leaf Storm will be used. The rest of the moveset will be kept around strictly for future breeding purposes.

BM780 (Lilligant) (F) (Lvl.50) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 125 HP/129 Def/131 SAtk/125 Spd
IVs: 31/0/31/4/31/31
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Solar Beam
- Teeter Dance
- Leech Seed
- Charm

As you can see, I screwed up the Lilligant4 EV spread very slightly, and the SAtk IVs are awful, but attacking is clearly not this set's main role anyway, so...

BM872 (Hippowdon) (M) (Lvl.55) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/6 Atk/252 SDef
IVs: 18-19/31/31/0/31/0
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Curse
- Rest
- Earthquake
- Crunch

I sincerely doubt I will be running into any of you during this competition, so I have no problem spoiling my team now, but if I do...bring your Multiscale Dragonites, please. I'm curious to see how the "CB Dragonite vs. BM156" matchup would go.

Ther's a glitch with the levels of the mon xD
I was playing all my games with my lvl 50 team VS lvl 100 teams. I have changed it in the teambuilder but the mons in game sould be at level 50 :)

[EDIT] Glitch fixed but there're still level 1 mons :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I mentioned this yet, but has anyone else besides that one guy I fought in 1v1 used a Sturdy Yawn mon? I saw the guy using Relicanth, but aren't there other species that can do this combo?

This competition is pure luck, at least the team preview. The 20 battle per day is a good thing! Also, does anyone know anything about whether Soul Dew is legal or not? I've emailed PGL about it, but it might take some time before I get an answer.
I'm not sure if I mentioned this yet, but has anyone else besides that one guy I fought in 1v1 used a Sturdy Yawn mon? I saw the guy using Relicanth, but aren't there other species that can do this combo?
Unfortunately, it seems like Relicanth is the only one :/

This competition is pure luck, at least the team preview. The 20 battle per day is a good thing! Also, does anyone know anything about whether Soul Dew is legal or not? I've emailed PGL about it, but it might take some time before I get an answer.
The regulations page was updated and soul dew is definitely not allowed now

Unfortunately, it seems like Relicanth is the only one :/
Relicanth is pretty cool, I think I'll use it too. I've had success with a Rock Polish set in BSS before, tho obviously Sturdy Yawn is the way to go here. Shame you can't have Head Smash tho, since if you get brought down to Sturdy recoil would kill you.

Since this is a 6v6 format, Chansey seems pretty useless here. I used it but I never win a game with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)