Gengar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Name:
Gengar / Mega Gengar
Type: Ghost / Poison
Ability: Levitate
Base Stats: 60 / 65 / 60 / 130 / 75 / 110
Mega Type: Ghost / Poison
Mega Ability: Shadow Tag
Mega Stats: 60 / 65 / 80 / 170 / 95 / 130
Movepool: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/gengar/moves
Stats and movepool unconfirmed

General Description:
Shadow Tag is an amazing ability and now its a very threatening Pokemon. Gengar has a diverse movepool and an excellent offensive typing that gives him a very strong synergy with Choice Scarf Genesect. It has a number of potential tricks up it's sleeves such as SubDisable, Taunt, and Perish Song. The although the Spatk stat is massive, the lack of item choice undermines it and can leave Gengar a bit on the weak side, making it even more reliant on its ability to pick and choose its prey at the ideal moment. The one turn mega evolution also leaves it susceptible to Pursuit trappers like Assualt Vest Tyranitar which forces Gengar to run Substitute to avoid it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-60557334
Also, Assault Vest Wailord can take out Mega Gengar even when this massive whale is taking super effective hits.
You realize this is Ubers right?

Anyway Mega Gengar is soooooo fucking good, if only because of Shadow Tag. Having that much Speed and Special Attack with Shadow Tag is perfect for coming in and trapping dangerous threats. I hear a lot that Taunt + 3 Attacks is the best set but ehhhhhh I really like Substitute sets.

You realize this is Ubers right?

Anyway Mega Gengar is soooooo fucking good, if only because of Shadow Tag. Having that much Speed and Special Attack with Shadow Tag is perfect for coming in and trapping dangerous threats. I hear a lot that Taunt + 3 Attacks is the best set but ehhhhhh I really like Substitute sets.
Wailords are not allowed in Ubers?!
><{{{.________) Mega Wailord will be in Uber once released!

Gengar was already a troll in OU, and Mega Gengar takes it to a whole new level. I reckon Mega Gengar, along with something that counter Psychic, like Aegislash or Darkrai, will be really cool. Also, I doubt Assault Vest Tyranitar will be used commonly in Ubers, cuz in Gen 5 OU I don't really see Tyranitars that much, so I dunno how it'll be in Ubers.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Credit goes to Hack He Must for the following set (I'm not entirely sure about the EVs):

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Spd / 80 SDef
Timid Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Disable
- Hypnosis / Taunt / Substitute

Perish Song + Shadow Tag removes any Pokemon of choice, as long as Gengar can survive against it. This set is downright unfair against stall, as stall relies on the collective synergy and walling power of its team, and removing a key component can open a gaping hole for an offensive threat to take advantage of. Moreover, many of the mons used on stall struggle to hurt this set, as they rarely carry multiple powerful attacking moves, and at least one of their moves can always be disabled, leaving them unable to significantly damage Gengar.

Perish Song is the point of the set, allowing Gengar to remove anything that fails to KO or phaze it in time. Protect allows Gengar to Mega Evolve unhampered, and Protect + Disable goes a long way in helping Gengar avoid damage, paralysis, taunts or anything else that would hamper it. Hypnosis may seem like a terrible idea with 60% accuracy, but against stall mons which can usually only phaze or status Gengar, risking a miss is not particularly devastating. It can also help against offensive mons, which the set otherwise struggles with, but is unreliable. Taunt further helps to shut down stall mons against it and more reliably prevents phazing (which now works through Protect), but is less generally useful. Substitute helps against offensive mons, but is costly due to the complete lack of recovery.

Although I emphasized how well this set performs against stall, it also performs against mons other than walls. Most Choice Band/Specs mons (unless they outspeed Gengar, which is unlikely) are easily eliminated as Disable reduces them to using Struggle. Support mons and some offensive mons also only carry 1 attack that can hurt Gengar, allowing it to shut them down and eliminate them.

The EVs allow it to outspeed Arceus formes, while it struggles to beat Darkrai either way and Shaymin-S are often Scarfed. Remaining EVs maximize its Special bulk (physical bulk is a lost cause, not to mention that physical priority is far more common and powerful priority threatens this set).

Last edited:
MGengar is also amazing teamed up with Xnerneas becuase of Gravity. If Gravity is up Gengar can use moves like Thunder, Focus blast and Hypnosis????? Making him even more deadly.

MGengar is also amazing teamed up with Xnerneas becuase of Gravity. If Gravity is up Gengar can use moves like Thunder, Focus blast and Hypnosis????? Making him even more deadly.
Mega Gengar is already amazing with Xerneas because it helps weaken his checks so Xerneas can sweep. We might even see some running HP Fire to kill Scizor so it doesn't ruin Xerneas's sweep. Gravity with Mega Gengar is nice, but Gengar already has 4MSS. It really wants Shadow Ball and Focus Blast at the very least, Substitute is pretty necessary too, and if you want to Sleep opponents Darkrai is better at that role. Thunder is a decent choice due to the omnipresence of Kyogre, as well as the fact that everything in Ubers runs Thunder>Thunderbolt, but I'm not really sure what kind of coverage Thunder is for.

I also really love the PerishTag sets, although PerishTrapping may not work as well in Ubers, Perish-Disable-Trapping is amazingly annoying to Choiced mons as well as walls. The day has finally come where Gengar can reliably kill Blissey!

Mega Gengar is already amazing with Xerneas because it helps weaken his checks so Xerneas can sweep. We might even see some running HP Fire to kill Scizor so it doesn't ruin Xerneas's sweep. Gravity with Mega Gengar is nice, but Gengar already has 4MSS. It really wants Shadow Ball and Focus Blast at the very least, Substitute is pretty necessary too, and if you want to Sleep opponents Darkrai is better at that role. Thunder is a decent choice due to the omnipresence of Kyogre, as well as the fact that everything in Ubers runs Thunder>Thunderbolt, but I'm not really sure what kind of coverage Thunder is for.

I also really love the PerishTag sets, although PerishTrapping may not work as well in Ubers, Perish-Disable-Trapping is amazingly annoying to Choiced mons as well as walls. The day has finally come where Gengar can reliably kill Blissey!

Doesn't shadow ball do the same as HP fire to scizor? And as Gengar would run Focus blast Gravity would help. Thunder would be for things like Kyroge and Raquaza btw. Gengar killing a Blissey? I'm not sure, it can alternate attacks.

The Sleep one, yes can be done with darkria but Gengar can do it alittle diffrentto and still be as effective if not more at times.
Tho you said Gengar checks Xenreas weakness, so are we talking about using it in a double battle? If so, I can see these two domenating.

Doesn't shadow ball do the same as HP fire to scizor? And as Gengar would run Focus blast Gravity would help. Thunder would be for things like Kyroge and Raquaza btw. Gengar killing a Blissey? I'm not sure, it can alternate attacks.

No, it would do about half as much damage as Hp fire.

The Sleep one, yes can be done with darkria but Gengar can do it alittle diffrentto and still be as effective if not more at times.
Tho you said Gengar checks Xenreas weakness, so are we talking about using it in a double battle? If so, I can see these two domenating.
No, it means you use Gengar to take down the mons Xerneas has trouble with, and Xerneas can sweep after they're down.

Xerneas+Mega Gengar is not too good in Doubles because it's easier to check Xerneas there.

Also I was talking about the Perish-Disable-Trapper killing Blissey. Obviously pure offensive Mega Gengar can't do so.

No, it means you use Gengar to take down the mons Xerneas has trouble with, and Xerneas can sweep after they're down.

Xerneas+Mega Gengar is not too good in Doubles because it's easier to check Xerneas there.

Also I was talking about the Perish-Disable-Trapper killing Blissey. Obviously pure offensive Mega Gengar can't do so.

But switching in a Gengar to take out Pokemon Xnerneas has trouble with might not be so good as Gengar is very frail.

And no, I meant a Blissy. Sure it can disable it's attacks, but who is to say Blissy ins't running two damage attacks? Blissey can just get the one attack disable and attack with another move.

But switching in a Gengar to take out Pokemon Xnerneas has trouble with might not be so good as Gengar is very frail.

And no, I meant a Blissy. Sure it can disable it's attacks, but who is to say Blissy ins't running two damage attacks? Blissey can just get the one attack disable and attack with another move.
Yes, switching a Gengar into a Scizor is a bad idea. But in most cases Scizor stays in to try to Pursuit you and you hit it with HP Fire before it does so (unless the opponent makes really smart plays). It still can't switch into either Scizor or Aegislash, but it can revenge kill them, which is a lot of what Ubers is about.

Also against Blissey Gengar uses Perish Song or Toxic and sits there and waits for Blissey to die.

Yes, switching a Gengar into a Scizor is a bad idea. But in most cases Scizor stays in to try to Pursuit you and you hit it with HP Fire before it does so (unless the opponent makes really smart plays). It still can't switch into either Scizor or Aegislash, but it can revenge kill them, which is a lot of what Ubers is about.

Also against Blissey Gengar uses Perish Song or Toxic and sits there and waits for Blissey to die.

Wait, Blissey can't hurt Gengar? Or are you talkimg about a subbed gengar? I don't think it can do much to sub anyways so yesI see your point. Tho I would rather use something else instead of switching in on a Scizor because of priority. Along with that, trying to Revenge kill them is also a bad Idea because of priority tho.

Wait, Blissey can't hurt Gengar? Or are you talkimg about a subbed gengar? I don't think it can do much to sub anyways so yesI see your point. Tho I would rather use something else instead of switching in on a Scizor because of priority. Along with that, trying to Revenge kill them is also a bad Idea because of priority tho.
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 195-229 (74.42 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A bit tight, but still usable. Mega Gengar and Magnezone are the only things that can actually trap and revenge kill Scizor. Wobbufett doesn't like U-Turn (although Countering the switch-in for 750+ damage is awesome), and lol Gothitelle and Dugtrio. Mega Gengar isn't the first thing you think of for this thing, but unlike Magnezone it doesn't get mauled by a surprise Expert Belt Superpower or something.

And nothing can kill Aegislash for Xerneas, unfortunately. Aegislash can always switch out.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 195-229 (74.42 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A bit tight, but still usable. Mega Gengar and Magnezone are the only things that can actually trap and revenge kill Scizor. Wobbufett doesn't like U-Turn (although Countering the switch-in for 750+ damage is awesome), and lol Gothitelle and Dugtrio. Mega Gengar isn't the first thing you think of for this thing, but unlike Magnezone it doesn't get mauled by a surprise Expert Belt Superpower or something.

And nothing can kill Aegislash for Xerneas, unfortunately. Aegislash can always switch out.

Well, Aegislash would use Shadow sneak andOHKO you correct? So MGengar seems screwed then since shadow sneakis high priority so you are better off switching instead of Aegislash as it will kill you, them again Gengar has Sunsitute, butI don't think he can take Aegislash in one hit.
But there is Destiny bond if it comes down to it.

I still think Aegislash is better than Mega Gengar. If Aegislash is leading and the opponent switches into Mega Gengar (or I think Mega Evolution takes a turn in Pokemon Showdown), Aegislash can set up with Swords Dance and proceed to OHKO with Shadow Sneak, while Mega Gengar helplessly faints.

I'm granting the premise to show that the argument doesn't even follow validly. In reality, the situation he posted involves your opponent making a dumb switch, so it doesn't even prove that Aegis > M-Gar. But what I'm saying is that even if Aegis can win the majority of scenarios in the MU, that's still not a good argument for it being "better."

EDIT: I realized the != might have thrown you. It means "does not equal."

I'm bumping Mega Gengar, because I've been using it a ton in Ubers, and this set is so much freaking fun:
Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Haze
- Will-O-Wisp

This set looks unconventional, but look:
+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 217-256 (82.8 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 390-458 (98.9 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
It provides a check to Xerneas if there is no Hazards and Mega Gengar has taken no damage. Then, after it has been Hazed, you can just kill it off with Sludge Wave. Shadow Ball is a secondary STAB not much to say here. A very fast Will-O-Wisp is always nice, and with it, it can handle a ton more things than before, making up for its abysmal Defense.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm bumping Mega Gengar, because I've been using it a ton in Ubers, and this set is so much freaking fun:
Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Haze
- Will-O-Wisp

This set looks unconventional, but look:
+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 217-256 (82.8 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 390-458 (98.9 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
It provides a check to Xerneas if there is no Hazards and Mega Gengar has taken no damage. Then, after it has been Hazed, you can just kill it off with Sludge Wave. Shadow Ball is a secondary STAB not much to say here. A very fast Will-O-Wisp is always nice, and with it, it can handle a ton more things than before, making up for its abysmal Defense.
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 277-326 (105.7 - 124.4%)
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 464-548 (177 - 209.1%)

Mega Gengar generally shouldn't be taking on GeoXern lol. DBond has a lot more utility than Haze and should be used every time over it imo.

Wisp is kinda cool for donking Mega Scizor, but if you hate Scizor that badly you'd be better off just killing it with HP Fire since MGar can tank BP with its increased Defense.

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 277-326 (105.7 - 124.4%)
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 464-548 (177 - 209.1%)

Mega Gengar generally shouldn't be taking on GeoXern lol. DBond has a lot more utility than Haze and should be used every time over it imo.

Wisp is kinda cool for donking Mega Scizor, but if you hate Scizor that badly you'd be better off just killing it with HP Fire since MGar can tank BP with its increased Defense.
Except that it doesn't frequently run Psyshock in my personal experience. I was under the assumption the norm was Moonblast / Geomancy / Focus Blast / Flash Cannon? But, I see why you'd use either haha.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Except that it doesn't frequently run Psyshock in my personal experience. I was under the assumption the norm was Moonblast / Geomancy / Focus Blast / Flash Cannon? But, I see why you'd use either haha.
The calc also assumes Max Attack is standard on Deo-A and specially defensive Ho-Oh is the most common kind...no Xerneas has any reason to run Flash Cannon ever.

At any rate, p. much any GeoXern will have either Psyshock or Thunder so either way Gengar is not a check to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)