Metagame Metagame Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how any kind of stall or defensive cores are even alive in this meta. With hoopa-u, tapu lele (suprisingly even stronger than hoopa), tapu bulu and sableye nerf this playstyle is so brittle that any competent teambuilder can easily prepare for that.

Celesteela and toxapex are tough but not not strong enough to wall new threads.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
*enters sales pitch mode*

*ahem*

Do you fancy a change of pace, but find that Tapu Koko is getting you down? Are you sick of all of those Genesect and Pheromosa spamming U-turn un-punished? Well have no fear, because I have just the Pokémon for you!

Stunfisk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

All jokes aside, this thing is a super interesting Pokémon to use at the moment, and if you remember me from last gen this was one of my favorite things to mess around with on offense. In addition to being a Ground-type that isn't threatened by any of Dazzling Gleam, HP Ice or Grass Knot from Tapu Koko, it has a number of traits that allow it to actually put in a reasonable amount of work on offensive builds. Static allows it punish people who are getting trigger-happy with U-turn in your face, and in conjunction with the crisp 16.7% recoil that Rocky Helmet induces it can put a large amount of passive pressure onto its opponent. It is good for role compression if it carries Stealth Rock, and most of its switch-ins (namely Lando-T, Zygarde, Lati@s etc.) either get fucked by Discharge paralysis or hate being toxic'd (unless it's smth like DD+Lum Zygarde or SD+RP+Lum Lando, in which case you have to play the 50:50 between Thousand Arrows/EQ vs. switch and DD/SD/RP vs. Toxic, assuming you catch it on the switch and force them to eat their Lum berry). That said, it is still a super niche/team-specific pick for a number of reasons, and as such I can’t really say that it is necessarily better or worse than it was in gen 6. It has a very hard time with ground-types, to the point where toxic is pretty much mandatory on it to catch them (although I guess you could use Scald too if you’re desperate, but it’s just not consistent enough). The loss of Talonflame is a massive downer, as one of the coolest things it had going for it was the ability to not only make Talonflame impale itself on its helmet but also threaten it with Static or, if that failed, put a timer on it with Toxic. The rise of Zygarde hurts it because both DD+Lum and Sub+Coil shut it down if they come in on anything other than Toxic, and there is a lot of water and ice coverage running around too which doesn’t exactly help it much. It’s still worth considering if you’re struggling with certain things though.

More specially defensive spreads can also be used if you want to check stuff like Xurkitree or Alolan Raichu better, so yeah just mess around with EVs if you want and see what works. For example, 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD calm maximises it’s overall bulk while hitting a SpD jump point in the process.
252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stunfisk: 79-94 (18.7 - 22.2%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Pheromosa U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 106-126 (25.1 - 29.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+1 252 Atk Genesect U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 130-154 (30.8 - 36.4%) -- 59.8% chance to 3HKO
+1 252+ Atk Genesect U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 144-169 (34.1 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Genesect U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 130-154 (30.8 - 36.4%) -- 59.8% chance to 3HKO
4 SpA Genesect Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stunfisk: 154-182 (36.4 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stunfisk: 164-194 (38.8 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252 SpA Xurkitree Grass Knot (40 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stunfisk: 164-194 (38.8 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stunfisk: 130-154 (30.8 - 36.4%) -- 60.3% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stunfisk: 106-126 (25.1 - 29.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 178-211 (42.1 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 195-231 (46.2 - 54.7%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stunfisk: 343-406 (81.2 - 96.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (negligible at best)

252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu Surf vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Stunfisk: 294-346 (69.6 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252 SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Stunfisk: 348-410 (82.4 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Genesect Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Stunfisk: 132-156 (31.2 - 36.9%) -- 75.4% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Genesect Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Stunfisk: 160-190 (37.9 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 4 SpA Genesect Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Stunfisk: 196-232 (46.4 - 54.9%) -- 65.2% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
*enters sales pitch mode*

*ahem*

Do you fancy a change of pace, but find that Tapu Koko is getting you down? Are you sick of all of those Genesect and Pheromosa spamming U-turn un-punished? Well have no fear, because I have just the Pokémon for you!

Stunfisk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

All jokes aside, this thing is a super interesting Pokémon to use at the moment, and if you remember me from last gen this was one of my favorite things to mess around with on offense. In addition to being a Ground-type that isn't threatened by any of Dazzling Gleam, HP Ice or Grass Knot from Tapu Koko, it has a number of traits that allow it to actually put in a reasonable amount of work on offensive builds. Static allows it punish people who are getting trigger-happy with U-turn in your face, and in conjunction with the crisp 16.7% recoil that Rocky Helmet induces it can put a large amount of passive pressure onto its opponent. It is good for role compression if it carries Stealth Rock, and most of its switch-ins (namely Lando-T, Zygarde, Lati@s etc.) either get fucked by Discharge paralysis or hate being toxic'd (unless it's smth like DD+Lum Zygarde or SD+RP+Lum Lando, in which case you have to play the 50:50 between Thousand Arrows/EQ vs. switch and DD/SD/RP vs. Toxic, assuming you catch it on the switch and force them to eat their Lum berry). That said, it is still a super niche/team-specific pick for a number of reasons, and as such I can’t really say that it is necessarily better or worse than it was in gen 6. It has a very hard time with ground-types, to the point where toxic is pretty much mandatory on it to catch them (although I guess you could use Scald too if you’re desperate, but it’s just not consistent enough). The loss of Talonflame is a massive downer, as one of the coolest things it had going for it was the ability to not only make Talonflame impale itself on its helmet but also threaten it with Static or, if that failed, put a timer on it with Toxic. The rise of Zygarde hurts it because both DD+Lum and Sub+Coil shut it down if they come in on anything other than Toxic, and there is a lot of water and ice coverage running around too which doesn’t exactly help it much. It’s still worth considering if you’re struggling with certain things though.

More specially defensive spreads can also be used if you want to check stuff like Xurkitree or Alolan Raichu better, so yeah just mess around with EVs if you want and see what works. For example, 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD calm maximises it’s overall bulk while hitting a SpD jump point in the process.
252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stunfisk: 79-94 (18.7 - 22.2%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Pheromosa U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 106-126 (25.1 - 29.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+1 252 Atk Genesect U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 130-154 (30.8 - 36.4%) -- 59.8% chance to 3HKO
+1 252+ Atk Genesect U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 144-169 (34.1 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Genesect U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 130-154 (30.8 - 36.4%) -- 59.8% chance to 3HKO
4 SpA Genesect Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stunfisk: 154-182 (36.4 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stunfisk: 164-194 (38.8 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252 SpA Xurkitree Grass Knot (40 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stunfisk: 164-194 (38.8 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stunfisk: 130-154 (30.8 - 36.4%) -- 60.3% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stunfisk: 106-126 (25.1 - 29.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 178-211 (42.1 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 195-231 (46.2 - 54.7%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Alolan Raichu Surf vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Stunfisk in Rain: 170-200 (40.2 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+3 252 SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Stunfisk: 348-410 (82.4 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Genesect Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Stunfisk: 132-156 (31.2 - 36.9%) -- 75.4% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Genesect Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Stunfisk: 160-190 (37.9 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 4 SpA Genesect Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Stunfisk: 196-232 (46.4 - 54.9%) -- 65.2% chance to 2HKO
But why run this over SDef Excadrill, which also has the utility of Rapid Spin? It's a neat idea, but Excadrill compresses the roles of electric check and hazard control into one slot.

I stopped laddering for this reason, the current meta is thoughtless and feels pointless to play. You can slap a team together in 5 minutes and it'll work just by picking stuff like Genesect, Landorus, Greninja and so on, and then you each spam your no-brainer moves until one of you wins based on which overpowered mons on each team have the more favorable matchup. It feels like the way me and my buddies played pokemon in middle school, haha. I wish they would just get on with banning the things everyone knows shouldn't be in the tier so we can get the positive mechanics changes like the burn nerf with an enjoyable meta.
Laddering on Sun Moon Bank OU

Is it a Balance? HYPERSPACE FURY
Is it a Stall? HYPERSPACE FURY
Is it HO? -> Do it have Slow mon?-> Yes -> HYPERSPACE FURY
-> No -> Click X

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Choice Band Tapu Bulu has been working out really great for me. Adamant Wood Hammer almost always 2HKOes max HP Aegislash after SR, Lefties, and Grass Terrain recovery, though you have to predict if Aegi is going to use King's Shield if you want to 2HKO it. Stone Edge and Superpower take care of the quad resists, such as Mega Venusaur, Mega Char Y and X, Ferrothorn, Kartana, and Heatran. Almost every Pokemon commonly used with only a 2x resistance to Grass is at the very worst 2HKOed, while many frail or semi-frail resists are OHKOed, such as Latios for example. Furthermore, Tapu Bulu pairs amazingly with Ground-weak Pokemon such as Aegislash and Heatran (both amazing Pokemon atm), as he makes them much more durable with Grass Terrain and helps mitigate their lack of recovery, and also halves their Ground weakness. The ability to take the roles of a wallbreaker, supporter, and check to a plethora of Pokemon makes CB Tapu Bulu a great choice in many teams.

EDIT: Oh and Magnezone is also an amazing partner, being able to trap and kill the only two Pokemon that wall CB Tapu Bulu, Skarmory and Celesteela.

Last edited:
Max def Grass Pelt Gogoat walls Tapu Bulu till there's no tomorrow

On a more serious note, pairing Tapu Bulu with Serperior has also been great since Grassy Terrain raises Leaf Storm to good levels even without a boost under it's belt (Serperior is really weak at first), turning many things that could check Serperior much harder to check unless it comes with a 4x resist. Great because it won't "need" the Grassy Terrain boost after it builds up the power, only on the very first turns so it can still hit hard once the terrain fades out.

With Magnezone trapping both Skarm and Celesteela, this could lead into a very dangerous situation for the opponent.

Isn't Gogoat going to have some issuevs Superpower

I'm always a bit bothered about Serperior power being considered "weak", considering that its actually as powerful as Aegislash

I'm always a bit bothered about Serperior power being considered "weak", considering that its actually as powerful as Aegislash
Serp isn't weak, it just has no coverage to actually hit targets. Dragon Pulse hits a few dragons, but from there you need HP Fire/Ground to kill something. Aegi would be considered "weak" as well if it only god Shadow Ball and like Dark Pulse (iffy comparison bc Aegi's main set is SubToxic but shhh)

Wait flash edit before I even post how the fuck is it as powerful as Aegi? It's literally got half the base SpA stat and no Attack viability lol

superpower still isn't a thing:
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Superpower vs. +1 252 HP / 252 Def Gogoat: 102-120 (22.6 - 26.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

+1 is cause grass pelt isn't in the damage calc.

But what do you mean by serperior is as powerful as aegislash?

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I assume they're talking about how Serperior's unboosted Leaf Storm and Aegislash's (neutral natured) Shadow Ball/Flash Cannon are roughly the same power level.

252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Blissey: 114-135 (17.5 - 20.7%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Blissey: 112-133 (17.2 - 20.4%) -- possible 5HKO

It seems almost impossible to craft a team capable of dealing with all the threats at the moment. Meta is pure matchup right now. Its actually pretty frustrating.
That's a reoccurring issue (the matchup issue). It sorted itself out pretty well in gen6 without the need to resort to too much banning for the sake of threat reduction (although a ban usually lowers the number of threats ). It's very, very early to expect stability. It's a nice time to test weird things, though.

The best thing about sub toxic Aegislash this time around is that you can still set subs if you're burned; you can't really be stalled out as easily as before.

Nihilego is outperforming my expectations as a suicide lead. Its special bulk is pretty good, it outspeeds Garchomp, and a special Rock-STAB and Tapu-killing potential are great things to have. I use sr + STABs + HP Ice. T-spikes are p awful at the moment with all the toxapex.

superpower still isn't a thing:
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Superpower vs. +1 252 HP / 252 Def Gogoat: 102-120 (22.6 - 26.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

+1 is cause grass pelt isn't in the damage calc.

But what do you mean by serperior is as powerful as aegislash?
Aegislash - 120 x 438 = 52.560

Serperior - 195 x 249 = 48.555

The difference in power between Aegi and Serp is only 10% which is honestly close to nothing. Essentially the effect of BP

OK, i hate being a non-constructive whiner, but the OU metagame right now is borderline unplayable.

There are like 6 mons that simply possess a much much higher power level than the rest, thus creating a metagame of 2 speeds.

There is Tier #1, which includes Pheromosa, Lando-I, Aegislash, Genesect, Hoopa and Greninja who are absolutely dominating the game, and it's not even funny. Especially the Phero-Aegi-Lando loops is just disturbing: You have to include Phero because it's just too good and user friendly, you have to include Aegi to stop opposing Phero, and you have to include Lando-I to stop opposing Aegi. And Then you have to run Phero to stop Lando-I.

And I have a very honest question that really isnt meant to bash anybody, it's just that I find it weird. Is there anybody who doesn't know that all the above will be banned in the next month(s), with or without suspect tests? Then, since we all know this is gonna happen, why are the bans (at least the super obvious ones like Aegi and Phero) taking so long? I mean Zygarde was -rightfully so- banned in the first few days, and I don't really think it's THAT much stronger than the aformentioned.

Again, I apologise if I'm too whiney but I really can't see the point of keeping that stuff in ou for so long.

OK, i hate being a non-constructive whiner, but the OU metagame right now is borderline unplayable.

There are like 6 mons that simply possess a much much higher power level than the rest, thus creating a metagame of 2 speeds.

There is Tier #1, which includes Pheromosa, Lando-I, Aegislash, Genesect, Hoopa and Greninja who are absolutely dominating the game, and it's not even funny. Especially the Phero-Aegi-Lando loops is just disturbing: You have to include Phero because it's just too good and user friendly, you have to include Aegi to stop opposing Phero, and you have to include Lando-I to stop opposing Aegi. And Then you have to run Phero to stop Lando-I.

And I have a very honest question that really isnt meant to bash anybody, it's just that I find it weird. Is there anybody who doesn't know that all the above will be banned in the next month(s), with or without suspect tests? Then, since we all know this is gonna happen, why are the bans (at least the super obvious ones like Aegi and Phero) taking so long? I mean Zygarde was -rightfully so- banned in the first few days, and I don't really think it's THAT much stronger than the aformentioned.

Again, I apologise if I'm too whiney but I really can't see the point of keeping that stuff in ou for so long.
If I were to take a guess, it's because the higher-ups are seeing how this meta would adapt to those threats to see if they can be left in. I feel like we all want as many options to build with as possible, as long as things aren't stale/repetitive. So, I think what's happening is that they're gauging if Phero-Aegi-Lando can be addressed without being centralizing. There are certainly lots of options to address them, but you're right in that the problem often boils down to them being the best checks for each other and are thus the default. I think bans will come down within the next week or two, but I can understand why it might be slow-going as more options and ideas are developed, tested, and debated.

Also PokeBank may have something to do with it too, though I don't know since there is a separate format to test out what post-bank will be. I don't know, I'm just speculating.

Cause for all we know, aegislash might not be on 70% of teams if phero is gone, phero might not be on 70% of teams if hoopa is gone, it really boils down to who is more broken of this rock paper scissors core and whether or not we can remove one and let the others settle down in the meta.

You're forgetting back in X/Y we had less options for aegislash, and it was a very VERY close ban vote, just now we have a huge clusterfuck of problems that the literal only answer to them is getting fingers pointed at, and we know how to build aegislash and use him properly unlike some of these new toys still figuring out their limits/weaknesses.

Aegislash might still be an issue though, but I really don't want to see it quick banned when its just "checking broken" without us knowing for sure he's broken himself (never was, just centralizing imo).

If I had to pick the order with suspect test, I'd say Phero -> Genesect -> Hoopa -> Lando-I -> Greninja -> Aegislash, at least then we'd see how important he his or centralizing without having to check phero and genesect, and with some of his checks/revenge killers gone if he's still too "overused" or even while they're still in the meta if he's too much with them around.

Ragnarock

Banned deucer.
Guess I'll share some sets:

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 224 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Toxic

P2 already mentioned some pokemon that have a great matchup vs. stall (Tapu Lele, Z Manaphy, Hoopa-U) and while Zygarde does not have the raw power of these pokemon, it also has a great matchup vs stall because it's really difficult to kill with weak attackers relying on status. I don't like Resttalk because the set can't break Unaware and Sleep Talk rolls can really fuck it over. 50% Zygarde doesn't have the bulk 100% does, but it is still able to set up against almost every defensive pokemon that doesn't have a super effective coverage move (which is rare on stall). It's also decent against bulky offense, but because bulky offensive teams actually use super effective coverage, Zygarde is more of a SubToxic staller than a bulky Coil sweeper against those teams.

Alternate EV spread is 60 Speed to outspeed Bisharp, Breloom and Max Speed Aegi but they are not really common and Bisharp probably will Sucker Punch you anyways.
Chansey Seismic Toss vs. 224 HP Zygarde: 100-100 (24.2 - 24.2%) -- guaranteed 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Sableye-Mega Foul Play vs. 224 HP / 12 Def Zygarde: 87-103 (21 - 24.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 224 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde: 93-109 (22.5 - 26.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Slowbro-Mega Scald vs. 224 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde: 81-96 (19.6 - 23.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Giga Drain vs. 224 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde: 72-85 (17.4 - 20.5%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (80 BP) vs. 224 HP / 12 Def Zygarde: 73-87 (17.6 - 21%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 224 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde: 73-87 (17.6 - 21%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 224 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde: 178-211 (43 - 51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 224 HP / 12 Def Zygarde: 186-219 (45 - 53%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 224 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde: 187-220 (45.2 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 224 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde: 203-244 (49.1 - 59%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Taunt
- Toxic

I loved to use Taunt Keldeo in ORAS and while Keldeo's viability really dropped in the early stages of SM, I still wanted to use the set. Taunt CM Keldeo is still a nice lure against some balanced teams to lure in pokemon like Toxapex, but the burn nerf and the introduction of pokemon like Mantine really hurt the viability of that set. Some people might say pokemon like Roost Mantine and Toxapex can be lured with Specs HP Electric and while that's true, many players will pivot in another wall first to scout for HP Electric, so it's not as effective as it may seem. Toxic on the other hand does a great job at luring in pokemon such as Lati@s, Mantine (even after the pivot), Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu, while Taunt shuts down recovery from Lati@s, Mantine, Toxapex, and Mega Venusaur and other support moves like Celesteela's Seed+Protect and Defog from Lati@s, Mantine and Tapu Fini. Many people are too busy preparing for Aegislash, Pheromosa and Tapu Koko, so Keldeo can really catch them off guard (not only this set but also Specs with HP Electric).
Honestly just wanna comment on the part about tapu bulu from your Keldeo set. Yes you can stunt by toxicing but if anything you are really just helping it when it basically came in for free and heal the damage up with ease due to grassy terrain and it's ready to fire off a banded wood hammer or whatever strong move it has on deck. In this case I would still scald it to fish for a burn to make it less of a threat then it already is, to me it just sounds like a better plan. However I do like the creativity in this set for mantine and latis as it would help parts like charY a lot in this meta, also it can hit those random shedninjas on stall teams to get rid of a nuisance Pokémon early. I really admire your set, good job.

Do you think the new tanky Pokémon released will lead to a tank meta in Gen VII? Especially with Pokémon like Aeigislash coming back, and newcomers like Toxipex and Pyukumuku.

I too wouldn't mind seeing those guys banned, but we do have a reputation for knee-jerk bans. Other sites are already laughing about how Smogon is already preparing to ban Pokemon that have only existed for a week. I think we could bare to give Aegis and co a couple of weeks before giving up on them. They might just be on every team because old habits die hard, and Aegis had a scary reputation last gen so we are just copying what we knew from last time.

And who knows, maybe something post bank will give us the answers we need to beat to OP mons. Maybe something was trash last gen like Mega Banette (with his turn 1 prankster Destiny Bond/Will-o-wisp) will end up being a winner this time around and counter something that that is currently a huge threat. The only way we will discover such counters is through patience and experimentation.

Do you think the new tanky Pokémon released will lead to a tank meta in Gen VII? Especially with Pokémon like Aeigislash coming back, and newcomers like Toxipex and Pyukumuku.

The offensive increase in this gen is significantly higher than Defensive increase.
I mean the offensive king of last gen is probably Mega Zard Y. That one have essentially 258 Base Special Attack with Item
This gen we get Tapu Lele. Specs Tapu Lele essentially have base 328 Base Special Attack

Thats a completely ridiculous amount of power jump. I lowkey believe the only reason people even somehow think that mons like Toxapex etc is good right now is because people didn't really went for the obvious lazy solution of just using broken mon and be done with it. Between Volt Turn support and Landorus/Hoopa/Lele/Koko/Bulu as nuke of choice theres not much options defensive/tanky mon had to stand against it

It's funny you mention Mega Banette. Because of GameFreak's decision to not release all the Mega Stones yet (I'm curious as to how the hell they plan on distributing the Mega Stones once Pokebank is ready), we don't have these buffed options for dealing with the tried-and-true broken Pokemon. What I DO find interesting is the decision to drop so many Pokemon but keep the Megas banned. What makes Mega Lucario and Mega Kangaskhan more definitively broken than Genesect and Landorus-I? I'm not terribly impressed with how the generation has started, but I hope it gets better in the coming months.

Random question, but...what's Kyurem-B doing this gen? I know Gene/Phero/Lando ruin it and Hoopa outclasses it, but it still eats a lot of mons (esppecially slower ones) for breakfast. Thundy too, I mean, I was experimenting with a Thund/ZardX combo (I thought of Taunt + GK/HP Ice Thund to get rid of Zard's counters and stop hazards plus Volt Switch shenanigans). Thund does get Sludge Wave/Bomb for the Tapus (or Flash Cannon if you hate AlolaTales lol).

And something else kinda random, but...could SpDef Unaware Clef be a thing? It can come in on Tapu Koko/Xurkitree/Manaphy (threats to bulky teams) and be the usual cleric stuff. I did find there's at least one mon that kinda ruins CM Clef...

0 Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Considering the bulky set can potentially outspeed you...yeah. +1 Flamethrower doesn't 2HKO by the way:

+1 0 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 180+ SpD Celesteela: 142-168 (35.6 - 42.2%) -- 90.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

EDIT: Just saw that Koko gets Taunt...well now I have something new to try out...

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
It's funny you mention Mega Banette. Because of GameFreak's decision to not release all the Mega Stones yet (I'm curious as to how the hell they plan on distributing the Mega Stones once Pokebank is ready), we don't have these buffed options for dealing with the tried-and-true broken Pokemon. What I DO find interesting is the decision to drop so many Pokemon but keep the Megas banned. What makes Mega Lucario and Mega Kangaskhan more definitively broken than Genesect and Landorus-I? I'm not terribly impressed with how the generation has started, but I hope it gets better in the coming months.
Let me tell you, as someone who spent a dumb amount of hours during the early XY days. Mega Lucario is utterly unstoppable and unpredictable. Genesect, while very adept is not that hard to predict, check or even counter. Genesect's broken-ness has always been caused by U-turn, as even though you know its merely threatening its coverage moves and it's going to u-turn, you simply can not take that risk, and when you switch, it gets momentum. Even the lure and sweeper sets that lack U-turn, the threat of it is so great it gives Genesect inordinate leverage. Despite all of this no one really struggles to check Gene, its usually choice locked, and if its not it's slow (life orb +1 E-speed is OP too, but still one has access to some quick rock, steel and ghost types), and there are always counters depending on which moves it lacks.

Lucario on the other hand is literally uncounterable between two sets. 112 Speed, stupidly overpowered Close Combats, and lots of priority options made it a complete terror vs. offense. While Swords Dance or Nasty Plot made it a completely unstoppable wallbreaker. Even when literally every team on the ladder had Aegislash, Lucario faired just fine, +2 Flash Cannon, Iron Tail or hell Dark Pulse/Crunch did a ton of damage. Simply targeting Aegislash and taking advantage of its inability to heal were enough, nevermind Bisharp support. Genesect is just not capable of sweeping or wallbreaking to the same capacity as Lucario. Keep in mind Lucario was buffed this generation with the updated mega-speed mechanics.

Kangaskhan, I shouldn't have to elaborate too much. The Seismic Toss set is just mind numbing how dumb it is to play against. Its bulky (dont need to invest offensively!), fast, and needs 1 move to 2HKO pretty much EVERYTHING. Unless you have a Ghost type, its just going to a hilarious amount of damage to a team, much more than any OU pokemon has any right to without any support or prediction. Even if you have a Ghost, its not like Crunch wouldn't sting badly, especially with its 50% chance of lowering defense.

The current suspects in OU, namel Pheromosa, Aegislash, Landorus, Genesect and Hoopa are not on the same level as Kanga, Lucario and Rayqu- I mean Mega Salamence.

Last edited:
They dropped things removed by suspect, the mega stones were quickbanned, also Mega Gengar would 100% still be super broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)