Other Metagames Midnight Marauder (Monotype)

Hey guys, Balto here. Since the start of Sun & Moon I stalled on my teambuilding, as the meta was just beginning to develop. However, with the new recent newly established meta I played around with a new strategy and found a lot of success with it through ladder(eventually reaching top ten) and testing games. Flying has really profited through the recent bans of ash greninja/zygarde forms as well as other bans, and it's coming together really well in this meta.
The Team

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic
Zapdos is a great addition to any flying team. I have it playing defogger role, with standard discharge/roost/defog. Toxic is solely for other zapdos', as well as the electric matchup, which can be troublesome without it. This team is rather frail to bisharp, with skarmory being the only 'counter' with whirlwind, so i opted for 16 speed to outspeed adamant sharp. This set is really standard, but plays a huge role in the stability of this team.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Taunt
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
Gliscor is more glue to the team. It's a great absorber to non SE special attacks, and reels in 1/8 hp every turn from poison heal. Along with roost, this allows gliscor to stall extremely well. 56 speed hits adamant types, & 8 def will survive a +2 adamant sucker punch from bisharp. Taunt allows gliscor to stop recovery from other slow walls, and knock prevents other pokemon from recovering via leftovers and getting rid of potential offensive threats that are carrying specs/band/LO. EQ is used as standard stab for damage.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
Togekiss was a mon I used frequently throughout xy/bw, and it fits nearly perfect on this team with new fairy typing. Thunder wave is great for status spreading and speed control, and air slash pairs extremely well with it for paraflinch. Flamethrower allows togekiss to hit steels like ferrothorn/skarmory, and roost is just for recovery. This mon plays a huge role in the dark MU, as dark teams are generally really weak to status flinch.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Iron Head
Skarmory usage has depleted a bit this gen due to the addition of celesteela, but it still does a great job on flying as a physical wall. Since I went for a taunt gliscor set, skarmory's main role was to set rocks. Whirlwind is great for hazard shuffling and forcing switches from setup sweepers. I ran iron head as the only attack mainly because of increased fairy usage, however, brave bird can easily be replaced as preference.

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
With a 4x weakness to rocks as well as a mantine buff this gen, articuno hasn't seen much usage on flying teams recently. However I found this mon to be ridiculously useful on bulky flying. It's a fantastic ice beam tank, which is a problem most flying teams struggle with, notably with recent greninja additions. Freeze dry is fantastic vs ground, hitting 4x vs seismitoad/quagsire/gastro/garchomp & landorus. This move can also be utilized very well versus water, as many of those pokemon can't touch articuno. Toxic is for other bulky mons, and roost for recovery. Heal bell allows for cleric support, which is very essential on stall teams, as they're very open to status.

$$$$ (Dragonite) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
Fly dragonite definitely isn't the most popular set, and it's usually very limited, however it fits in great on stall flying. Sub allows dnite to not get status'd, as well as setup on mons more safely. DD gives dragonite the boosts necessary for fly to consistently hit for high damage, and roost allows for recovery as well as tanking attacks much easier by utilizing multiscale when roosting to full HP. This setup is mostly used lategame, however dragonite can be utilized all game as a wall when the dragon typing proves helpful. The bulk allows dragonite to tank more efficiently, while the speed makes sure dragonite outspeeds faster pokes after setup.

S/O Mold for the togekiss idea, & Wanka for the tests.

Good flying monotype.
Maybe the dragonite set could be changed to
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
Outrage is for a better matchup against Dragon and is a good stab. Extreme Speed is to revenge kill faster threats. Earthquake is for rock and electric.
You could also use supersonic skystrike fly (this is SM) and a more offensive set for a win condition.

Good flying monotype.
Maybe the dragonite set could be changed to
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
Outrage is for a better matchup against Dragon and is a good stab. Extreme Speed is to revenge kill faster threats. Earthquake is for rock and electric.
You could also use supersonic skystrike fly (this is SM) and a more offensive set for a win condition.
yea on a normal fly i would use this set but this team consists of stall. setup nite would really serve no purpose as it wouldn't mesh nearly as well with this team since it's a much more passive flying.

Reactions: PD
I love the fact, that you made Articuno work. It is fantastic vs mono ice and mono water, and a good special wall. I'll leave a replay sometime. Great team, and you've made me use a stall team, which I never do!

Ridley

lofi hip hop radio - beats to relax/study to
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Jokes aside, this is a very solid team. One recommendation I have is possibly changing the Dragonite set to Sub, Roost, Dragon Tail, Toxic/Thunder Wave. This set is a nuisance towards quite a few types, and I could see it working well with hazard support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)