Monoteams

Monoteams

What is a Monoteam?

A monoteam consists of 6 pokemon all belonging to a single type. A monoteam can contain a wild card (a pokemon which does not belong).

Monoteams can battle competetively?

Of course.

Why monoteam? Can't X just sweep your whole team?

Because all the pokemon in your team share a common weakness, it doesn't mean you will be sweeped.

The reason for monoteaming is rather simple: challenge, change of pace. Perhaps you've grown tired of the normal metagame, perhaps you're looking for a different challenge. By restricting yourself to some ruleset (such as, "Only Water pokemon") you can explore a type, find its best sweepers and stallers, then make a team of them. It's usually more difficult to run a monoteam, for sure, since a fast sweeper could OHKO your whole team, but it also comes with its own rewards.

-Reward. Knowing that you beat someone's cookie cutter OU team with a monoteam full of fighting types. Knowing you bested your opponents psychic types with ease. The satisfaction in creating a team of common threads, performing well competitively. It exercises your creativity, when the competitive scene might dampen it.

-Risk. It's exciting to run a monoteam - you could really lose at any wrong turn. Of course, it depends on the team, but knowing that you won a battle using less-than-stellar pokemon is exciting.

-Amusement. If you make a monoteam, you should do so with the mindset that it probably won't be kicking ass right away. You should be able to make battling more about fun, than simply trying to eek out some win ratio on smogon.

That said, despite my placating, monoteams can be demolished. I've met many players who've taunted me for utterly crushing my teams. You will be steamrolled every so often. Most of the time, for me, it's because there was a lucky crit or miss, or a simple misprediction that screwed over my plans, but for every steamroll I've experienced, I've had at least one devastating victory.

I guess, in summary, you should competitively battle with monoteams for fun. The laughs you get for showing somebody up with a bunch of electric pokemon is simply worth it.

How does I monoteam'd?

It's not like making a normal, balanced team. Suspend your ideas of that immediately.

There's no rule to making a monoteam. Just, be ready to break some of the ideas you have for some pokemon. Although Hippodown might be commonly used as a support/stall type, doesn't mean you'll be using him as such. He might make a better sweeper, or perhaps even Special Attacker. You need to be willing to mix things up, even if a pokemon is not optimal doing a certain job, you need to be ready to switch things up. Sometimes, it screws your opponent's prediction over.

Never restrict yourself to the tier guidelines. If you're making a monoUber or monoOU team, don't be afraid to use UU's and NU's. In fact - you may have no choice but to use them. Don't get lulled into the idea that using all OU in an OUmono team is a good idea, either. I'll give a /common/ example.

BUG MONOTEAM [OU]

SCIZOR - Phys sweep
FORRETRESS - Spiker
YANMEGA - Choice Specs
SHUCKLE - Wall / Support
HERACROSS - Phys Sweeper
PINSIR or NINJASK - Phys Sweeper or Lead bat pass

For a bug team, which is desperately lacking in SpA attackers in general, at a glance, this team is fairly balanced. It has all the good, most commonly used, bug types.

It will be demolished. It's a horrible monoteam. Heatran, or perhaps just about anything with SR and an Flying move (such as Skarmory) will crush this effortlessly.

A more balanced OU bug team would consider the following:

Araidos / Ninjask - Priority Lead / Support Lead (bat pass)
Armaldo - Wall.
Masquerain / Yanmega - SpA Sweeper
Dustox / Shuckle - SpD Stall.
Butterfree / Parasect / Venomoth - Support

*Forretress / Scizor - Support / Sweeper

I've made it a little confusing I think, but let me explain:

Ariados may make a good OU lead because it possesses some mediocre coverage (Poison, Bug, Ghost, Dark) with priority attacks and a decent attack stat. It's also immune to sleep. It could also double as an agility or web passer. Ninjask is also an enticing bug lead, and I've it included because of its phenomenal use - however, it is crushingly weak to roar/whirlwind, taunt, and Stealth Rock. Ariados has less vulnerability to these common moves. Besides, on a bug team, the last thing you want to do is switch. Stealth Rock is simply too common. If Ariados and Ninjask are too weak, Forretress makes a decent substitute.

Armaldo makes an amazing bug wall because it is neutral to fire, has passable SpD, and has battle armor. If you give it Iron Defense and enough EV in SpD, it can wall most threats given enough time to set up. It also has decent base attack and can use its Stab rock move to counter many threats. It's not perfect, and makes a horrible switch in due its vulnerability to SR, but otherwise a great way to help combat fire.

Forretres / Scizor are mentioned here because they are quite powerful, but I would not necessarily garantee them a spot in a team. They are OHKO'd by basically any fire move, and by nature, bugs are horribly weak to fire. If you're going to use Scizor, you can't use Forretress. You can't. You're already damming your team by giving a spot up to a pokemon that is OHKO'd by fire, you can't afford to give two slots to that. Still, both are worthy of consideration, but I don't use them in my bug monoteams.

Masquerain and Yanmega are interesting. They have completely different aims, but share a similar function. One can learn Hydropump and starts with Intimidate, making it a great switch in for physical attackers. It also has passable SpA and can use agility, meaning it can sweep given a turn to set up. You might consider a Choice Specs, though. Yanmega is obvious, run tinted lens or speed boost, either is a good choice. However, I would recommend that both have Bug Buzz and HP Ground. Bug Buzz is an amazing move (90 power, 100% accuracy, lowers SpD 10% of the time, has stab) and HP Ground is absolutely necessary to counter threats like Heatran (which will soak up almost anything you try to throw at it with your speedy pokemon).

Dustox's only passable stat is SpD, but it too learns Iron Defense - and whirlwind. It also doesn't suffer from 4x to rock like other winged bugs and the only other to possess shield dust. It's a great utility pokemon that will either be frustratingly annoying to your surprised opponents, or frustratingly useless to you. Still, I recommend its use over the commonly used CS Butterfree. Shuckle is a given.

Butterfree / Parasect are truly last resorts. The later is too vulnerable to fire to be of much use, but in an ubers bug team it's worth consideration. Butterfree offers nice options, but is easily predicted by most veteran battlers. Venomoth is interesting as it is basically an inferior Yanmega with better typing. I would recommend it be used as support, rather than as a sweeper in a monobug team, however (stun spore, toxic spikes, agility, baton pass are in its repertoire).

What's my point in all this? I suppose I'm trying to show the kind of lengths you need to go to make a good monoteam. You need to bend the rules a little. While Venomoth or Dustox might be considered useless normally, in a bug team they might provide a pivitol role, whereas Scizor and Forretress could just be deadweights being constantly OHKO'd or resisted. Don't use this as an excuse to load up your team with NU's, but consider every pokemon's purpose in your team. Just because Scizor is one of the best priority attackers or sweepers doesn't mean it fits on your team. I've seen too many OU monoteams simply contain all the best pokemon of that type, not bothering to consider how their function within the team completely changes their worth.

Finally, I'd like to acknowledge, that on my personal monoteam tier list - bug is last. It's the worst type to monoteam with. Not only is there no suitable SpD wall to save yourself from being sweeped by special fire, but there's not even a bug pokemon which can resist fire. It's abominable. It's also dominated by SR, has the worst base stats of any pokemon type, and requires the use of status and +stage moves to wall and sweep. Monoteaming with bug in OU is hardcore (in UU it's a little more do-able... Uber? Good luck). Thus, the examples I'm providing are not ideal.

Ideally, the type you choose to monoteam with has at least one pokemon capable of switching in on threats. One which can set up hazards or supporting weather. One which can sweep physically and one which can sweep specially. The other two should focus on being able to counter the team's weaknesses (in the instance of a frail psychic team, Gallade/Medicham would be useful, or a sturdy psychic type with focus blast).

Personal Tier List?

Don't let this mean much, but I've monoteamed with every type enough that I can rate them by how well they make teams:

-Best-
Psychic
Poison
Water
Normal
-Adequate-
Steel
Fire
Ground
Ice
Flying
-Poor-
Electric
Rock
Grass
Dark
-Worst-
Dragon*
Ghost
Bug

*Unless you permit pokemon like Charizard (looks like a dragon) or are playing in Ubers, monotyping Dragon is impossible.

For the most part, what makes a good type to mono with is the type's diversity. Bug, Ghost, Dragon have little to no diversity in their typing, roles stats and movepools. Poor mono teams are hampered by a lack of choice and stat allotment (Electric pokemon have few reliable ways to counter powerful EQ sweeper). Adequate types perform as well as you make them. Best are full of so much diversity, especially the Psychic type, that it's hard to screw up.

If you're questioning Poison's place, consider all the dark, water, ice, fighting, fire, etc. moves easily available to it. It also has great walls like Muk and sweepers like Gengar.

Wild Cards

Wild Cards are basically that pokemon you think will solve that weakness crisis you're experiencing. Something to scare away that fire type - something you can switch to put your opponent's strategy on its head. I personally do not use wild cards, but they're worth consideration. Good wild cards have abilities which negate a weakness (such as volt absorb, dry skin, wonder guard etc), high bulk, or are good revenge killers.

The Wrap Up

Hopefully, I've imparted a few ideas in this rant / guide. Monoteaming is fun and challenging, but it requires a good plan.
Monoteaming isn't a joke, it's just a different way at playing the game.

I don't know everything there is to know about playing pokemon, but I've been monoteaming ever since Silver on the Gameboy. I hope this guide has been useful, or at least made someone consider to monoteam. I also hope I've posted this in the right place. I know I don't visit Smogon much, but I've searched, and apparently - no one has discussed monoteams seriously (and most people's reactions are to them are quite negative).

Water is really the only mono team that can work because of the swampert+gyarados comb, but what does this have to do with competitive battling?

Water is really the only mono team that can work because of the swampert+gyarados comb, but what does this have to do with competitive battling?
Not really IMO. I had great success with Ground teams(and Fire before Latias came down)

Things like Quagsire+Gliscor can work on the mono ground.

And rock is good only because of Regirock and Cradily. No, Tyranitar isn't the greatest one. Curse Regirock is almost impossible to take out in sandstorm.
As does Curse Cradily.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As someone who used to play around with mono-teams and still does on occasion, I have to say that the key to mono-teams isn't the type you choose per se. Its better to choose a type that's a secondary type. That's why the best typings are Psychic, Poison, Water, Flying, and Steel in my opinion. These types have a ton of diversity.

Now lets back this up. Water has Swampert to deal with Electric-types, Gyarados and Empoleon to deal with Grass-types, Starmie to spin, etc. We know Water is great STAB to have. But what about Psychic? It's not a good STAB really. But look at the Pokemon. Starmie, Jirachi, Metagross, Latias, Celebi, Azelf, Gallade, Bronzong. That's a formidable team (yes I know I listed 8 but still). Sure, you may have a bit of trouble keeping Scizor under control without running a lure. But I'd take 6 of them and have a decent shot at beating your average OU team.

So yes, mono-teams can work. You just need to rely on secondary types, and choose a type that isn't weak to much to begin with. Grass is bad because it's resisted by a ton of things. Bug is bad because of the SR weak and shitty members.

How exactly is mono-dragon impossible? You are allowed to use NFEs in OU, which means there are 13 OU-legal dragons - Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite, Kingdra, Vibrava, Flygon, Altaria, Bagon, Shelgon, Salamence, Latias, Gible, and Gabite. (Yes Gible and Gabite are allowed in OU). Even considering only fully-evolved, you have 6. Limited, yes, but considering the type includes two of the strongest and most popular Pokemon in OU, mono-dragon ought to be perfectly powerful.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Your lack of Fighting disturbs me, especially because Fighting is a ridiculously awesome Monoteam. Breloom and Machamp alone make it tough to address, then you add in stuff like Poliwrath, Heracross, Lucario, and Hitmontop and you can utilize a variety of roles. Skarmory doesn't even resist your main STAB, and almost nothing else uses Flying attacks. Psychic? lol.

I've had great luck with both MonoWater and MonoNormal. Water doesn't need explaining. they have members that are immune to their electric weakness and the all have a way to deal with grass, not to mention that Heatran works extremely well as the wildcard.

MonoNormal was a bit more difficult. I made use of Tauros and Swellow for my main sweeping atempts. Swellow's speed and Brave Bird really helped take out fighting types, and Tauros just rocks with his base 110 speed and 100 ATK. the Wildcard is the biggest choice you have to make IMO, barely beating secondary types in importance, but still. in my case I chose Gliscor. Gliscor helped by giving me a phisical wall, along with a reliable switch-in to powerful fight-types. I also toyed around with Slobro, but went with Gliscor in the end.

I also experimented with MonoFire, and here's what I have to say... RAPID SPINNER!!!! You serriously NEED one of these to be successful. I tried Blastoise and Donphan, before I settled with Starmie.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If I were to pick a monotype to do, I would probably pick steel. You have just the right members to utilize it: your choice of Bronzong and Skarm for your ground immunity, Heatran to absorb fire, and your free slot for Rotom or something immune to fighting. In between, you can either choose to run stall with Pokemon like Forretress or Registeel, or offense with choices like Lucario, Scizor, Metagross, and Jirachi. I think the ability to go any way you choose with Steel gives you a bit more versatility than, say, Normal or Water. However, because you're basically obligated to run Bronzong/Skarm and Heatran, Steel is also easiest to do wrong because you might more often than not find yourself relying too much on one or two members defensively and the rest of the team going kaput when they're KO'd.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've watched Poison Monotype teams do very well. The big advantage there is the felxibility you have--Gengar, Crobat, Tentacruel, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Weezing, Drapion, Roserade, Toxicroak, among others.

For poison, you can't forget Skuntank and Drapion. The psychic immunity is great, despite it being rare. With Weezing and Gengar on your team, you've got a switch-in for the most common poison-weak type.

As someone who used to play around with mono-teams and still does on occasion, I have to say that the key to mono-teams isn't the type you choose per se. Its better to choose a type that's a secondary type. That's why the best typings are Psychic, Poison, Water, Flying, and Steel in my opinion. These types have a ton of diversity.

Now lets back this up. Water has Swampert to deal with Electric-types, Gyarados and Empoleon to deal with Grass-types, Starmie to spin, etc. We know Water is great STAB to have. But what about Psychic? It's not a good STAB really. But look at the Pokemon. Starmie, Jirachi, Metagross, Latias, Celebi, Azelf, Gallade, Bronzong. That's a formidable team (yes I know I listed 8 but still). Sure, you may have a bit of trouble keeping Scizor under control without running a lure. But I'd take 6 of them and have a decent shot at beating your average OU team.

So yes, mono-teams can work. You just need to rely on secondary types, and choose a type that isn't weak to much to begin with. Grass is bad because it's resisted by a ton of things. Bug is bad because of the SR weak and shitty members.

I don't think it's only the secondary types. There's stats/movepool as well. As good as Poliwrath is(and it's resists), i believe not many mono types will have one of those for example.

Regardless of that, i'm going to give a example of a mono team:

Mono Rock

Since rock is a crap defensive type(at leat grass has good resists and weakness to less used types) and you can't do much against it since there's not much options with nice secondary typings, what you're going to do?

Let's see what we got:

Aerodactyl
Aggron
Armaldo
Bastiodon
Corsola
Cradily
Golem
Kabutops
Lunatone
Magcargo
Omastar
Probopass
Rampardos
Regirock
Relicanth
Rhyperior
Shuckle
Solrock
Sudowoodo
Tyranitar

Take out the crap options.

Corsola isn't good no matter what you do.
Magcargo only movepool should be Dual Screens+Memento.
Sudowoodo is only acceptable because of Wood Hammer, but it's still not good.
Golem is completely outclassed by Rhyperior. Don't bother with Explosion since it doesn't take out the main threats of a rock team.
Solrock is only acceptable to BP something, Dual Screen Explode or Trick Room.
Lunatone is on the same boat, but it's one of the only special attackers.
Relicanth badly is outclassed by Aggron. Different typing is the only way to go with Relicanth.
Curse Bastiodon is damn hard to take out without 4X SE attacks... but it also hits as hard as a pillow. And it's hard to support with it.

Now to the good ones:

Keep in mind that Tyranitar is absolutely a must. Should be on every mono rock team.
With Tyranitar you get rid of Latias and Rotom, revenges many things with Scarf, tries to sweep with DD, lures Scizor in and Fire Punch the hell out of it...
And gives every poke you have a boost on it's sp.def. Really nice.

You have 4 good Curse users for a mono team:

Regirock (two Curses, and good luck trying to take it down even with strong STAB attacks. Even Metagross spamming Meteor Mash isn't enough to break through Regirock defenses.)

Cradily (better typing and Recover. Oh, and it's even more difficult to take it from the special side).

Armaldo(this one isn't as bulky as the others, but it's more punishing. And it's immune to Cursers #2 enemy, the criticals(number one is Trick).

Rhyperior(even more punishing, and Solid Rock is everything Regirock wanted...)

Then you have Aerodactyl, who's fast and can revenge things like Lucario or finish Scarf Tyranitars. Risks a tie with Jolteon, but it can also take it off, among other things. Don't use it as a suicide poke. Every poke in your team is important.

You have Kabutops for a SD user that finally isn't weak to Bullet Punch, or Omastar that it's the only good special attacker.
Su(b)perior also works to lure some pokes.
SD Cradily is if you want to hurt

Rampardos is a mosnter with Dual Screen support. Also a effective scarfer.

If you hate Scizor and needs to cripple Jirachi, take your luck with Probopass. Pain Split should keep it alive, and Thunder Wave cripples one of the most menacing pokes against mono rocks. Probopass also traps Magnezone while taking low damage form Thunderbolts. Heatran isn't that troubling, but if it's locked on a fire attack, Probopass can come in and dispose of it with Earth Power.

Aggron takes Bullet Punches like a champ and gets a menacing Head Smash off(or Rock Polish). Aggron steel type means that it's one of the best switches into choiced pokes.

Shuckle is a stall machine under sandstorm. It is also hard to take out if Shuckle is the last poke and you start to use Acupressure.

Keep in mind that any of those pokes can use Stealth Rock. So choose who you want.

See something between all those? They share glaring weaknesses... the worst being Bullet Punch and Iron Head weakness. And low speed+Close Combat/DynamicPunch weakness. And the general water weakness. And the occasional grass weakness. Not to say Earthquake weakness. And 95% of rock types being physical minded meaning a single Hippowdon will give you hell.

You'll need some good lures to get a mono rock to work.

Mono rock hates:

Jirachi
Scizor
Breloom
Suicune
Celebi
Lucario
Machamp
Heracross
Empoleon

Also gets troubled by:

Metagross
Starmie
Mamoswine
Flygon
Gyarados

All the others can be handled(except some attacking Vaporeon out there).

What we can conclude after all this babbling?

Rock is somewhere between good and bad.
Good because almost any poke can use support options, it's the only type that gets a free stat boost(from Sandstorm), and those pokes are most of the time bulky to endure even STAB SE hits. They also can hit hard with it's high Atk and nice offensive typing.

Bad because they're slow(Kabutops is the second fastest one... with a 80 base speed.), they are mainly physical pokes, they have a good list of weakneeses to 3 commonly used types(ground, water and fighting) and a not so nice list of resists. It doesn't help that they are weak to the #1 poke, and the most annoying Scarfer ever...

-END BLABLABLA-

How exactly is mono-dragon impossible? You are allowed to use NFEs in OU, which means there are 13 OU-legal dragons - Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite, Kingdra, Vibrava, Flygon, Altaria, Bagon, Shelgon, Salamence, Latias, Gible, and Gabite. (Yes Gible and Gabite are allowed in OU). Even considering only fully-evolved, you have 6. Limited, yes, but considering the type includes two of the strongest and most popular Pokemon in OU, mono-dragon ought to be perfectly powerful.
Dragon types are mostly ruined in OU because once kingdra is gone any fast ice puncher, ice beamer or ice shard will rip you apart. Maybe 97% of OU teams have at least one ice attack. The problem with dragon is that they only have a few secondary typings and two of the four are also weak to ice and only one of the four resist it and the only dragon wielding it in OU is the aformentionned Kingdra. So yeah, they're powerful but incredibly ice-weak. And also they get destroyed by any dragon who can get a DD in.

But that doesn't make it outright impossible. Anubite's original statement implied he thought there weren't even 6 dragons allowed in standard.

I actually made a Mono-Normal, and it worked pretty decently. It wasn't anywhere near good, but it was nowhere near bad at all. It consisted of Swellow, Miltank, Togekiss, Staraptor, Snorlax, and Lickilicky. Swellow and Togekiss were the sweepers, Miltank was the awesomely awesome wall, Snorlax was an all-out attacker, Licklicky was a wall-breaker, and Staraptor was the only decent choice left over (I didn't feel like using Blissey or Porygon-Z). But that was a long time ago.

I remember in the early fases of DP I used a mono Poison team. I think I used Drapion (SD with Sniper fun), Crobat (NP), Gengar (Hypnosis fun when it was still 70%), Nidoking (don't remember what he did..)), Weezing (Ph Wall) and Tentacruel (Sp Wall).

Back then it did quite well, but with the end of DP and start of Platinum, the team got into disuse because of 'some' Pokémon and new moves.
It was really amusing though, maybe I should build an updated version of mono-Poison since I think Poison is one of the best mono's there is. Crobat/Gengar/Weezing against the EQers (apart from the Mold Breakers for the last two) and Drapion/Skuntank against the Psychic types.

Funnily enough, one of my most successful teams has been a mono-poison one. I built it for a mono-tournament, but ended up laddering with it for a while. I agree with tenniceace in the fact that secondary typing has a lot to do with the success, and a lot of poison mons have great abilities that help out where their typing would otherwise doom them. This was the team I ran, with one wildcard:

Gengar@Focus Sash [Hasty] Shadow Ball/Counter/Taunt/Destiny Bond

Weezing@Black Sludge [Bold] WoW/Fire Blast/Thunderbolt/Pain Split

Toxicroak@Life Orb [Jolly] Swords Dance/Suckerpunch/Cross Chop/Stone Edge

Nidoqueen@Black Slude [Careful] SR/Super Fang/Earthquake/Roar

Skuntank@Choice Band [Jolly] Explosion/Fire Blast/Suckerpunch/Pursuit

Latias@Leftovers [Timid] Calm Mind/Dragon Pulse/Substitute/Recover

Good thinking to use Black Sludge. Usually people avoid it because of the risk of having it Tricked off, and back on to another of their Pokemon. But with 5 poison types, that's not a problem.

From my experience from Mono-Type teams, in UU mind you, comes down to 1 thing, STAB. With that said Fighting has been the best monotype team I've ran. With CloseCombat, ChoiceBand, and SR you can effectively 2hko most pokemon that resist your attacks. So a team with Hi-Powered STAB users or a team of similiar boosters (MonoType SwordsDance team) have been the most effective for me.

Flying is actually a very decent type to plat monotypes battles with; since Dragons often have Flying as their secundairy type. Gliscor and Skarmory make decent walls and rock resists, while Gyarados (and Skarmory) make up for the Ice Weakness. Gliscor can take Electric attacks, but so can Dragonite.

Flying is pretty cheap actually I mean flying have like alot of good usable pokemon and with such diversity you could probably cover all the flying weaknesses in a team.

Flying is pretty cheap actually I mean flying have like alot of good usable pokemon and with such diversity you could probably cover all the flying weaknesses in a team.
Except stealth rock... If there would be a wildcard. It would be a Rapid Spinner...

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Except stealth rock... If there would be a wildcard. It would be a Rapid Spinner...
Or you could use Delibird! Whose idea was it to create a rapid spinner 4x weak to SR?

the problem with mono flying is that its completely raped by anything carrying boltbeam (LO starmie, hell even electivire) because every flying type is weak to either electric or ice or both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)