Monotype Victim of the Week (Round 8: Kingdra)

Status
Not open for further replies.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Good submissions so far! Since I started this week a little early and it's the first week, the round will be extended until Friday. I've made a change: since the submissions are scattered and separated by type, the voting process would be too awkward, so I've gotten rid of voting completely, and I'll just add all the submissions to the archive. So that means I nominate on Friday every week.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
Round 1 is now over! I've put all the submissions into the archive.

Week 2: Life Orb Excadrill

Types: Rock Steel Ice Fire Poison Electric Fairy Bug

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
Excadrill is one of the most common threats in Monotype with its insane wallbreaking and sweeping potential with swords dance under sand. Remember, you can nominate 1 check or 1 counter for the first three days of the round, and you can nominate as many as you like in the last 3 days.

This round's Pokemon has a lot more counters than Keldeo so it should be easier to submit Pokemon!

Last edited:

Steel Counter

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Careful / Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Skarmory acts as a wall to Excadrill. It has the ability to stall it out with its high defense stats and taking in all Excadrill's attacks as if it were a meal and making it eat leftovers because the damage did 0. Spikes is to pressure Excadrill when it is fazed out with Whirlwind, and Roost is for Skarmory to live longer. Both variants of Physically Defensive and Specially Defensive can take on Excadrill's attacks.

Electric Counter

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-W freely comes in on this specific Excadrill, as it lacks Mold Breaker to ignore Rotom-W's Levitate. Immediately, Excadrill is threatened and must switch. Even with Stealth Rocks on the field and Sandstorm chip, Excadrill cannot hope to ever 2HKO Rotom-W. Interestingly enough, even with these circumstances, Excadrill is not guaranteed to kill Rotom-W even after two consecutive Rock Slide crits! Further, setting up Swords Dances fails as well because Rotom-W sports both Hydro Pump, which almost always kills Excadrill, and Will-o-Wisp, which completely cancels out Excadrill's ability to sweep or wallbreak.

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 83-99 (27.3 - 32.5%) -- 79% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock, sandstorm damage, and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W on a critical hit: 125-148 (41.1 - 48.6%) -- 76.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, sandstorm damage, and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 350-414 (96.6 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Of particular note is how little defensive investment Rotom-W actually needs to defeat Excadrill:
With 128 HP / 252+ Def, Rotom-W still avoids the 2HKO under the worst circumstances!
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 128 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 83-99 (30.4 - 36.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock, sandstorm damage, and Leftovers recovery

Even a fully Specially Defensive Rotom-W is an incredibly reliable counter:
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Rotom-W: 113-134 (37.1 - 44%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, sandstorm damage, and Leftovers recovery

Poison Counter

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Pain Split
- Sludge Bomb

Weezing hardwalls Excadrill, because of its lack of Mold Breaker. Excadrill is literally useless 1v1 against Weezing, Rock Slide and Iron Head are not good options because of Weezing's amazing physical bulk. It also has Black Sludge recovery that makes all Excadrill's chip damage useless. Swords Dancing up? Probably will be burnt and Flamethrowered to death..

Weezing to Excadrill
0 SpA Weezing Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Excadrill: 160-190 (44.3 - 52.6%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO

Excadrill to Weezing
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 153-181 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 243-289 (72.7 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Though...

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb burned Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 152-179 (45.5 - 53.5%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb burned Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 242-286 (72.4 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Specially Defensive Weezing

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Weezing: 165-195 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- 68.8% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb burned Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Weezing: 82-97 (24.5 - 29%) -- possible 5HKO after Black Sludge recovery

And then Flamethrower kills it.

Remember, Excadrill takes Burn Damage and Life Orb damage, Flamethrower does (44.3 - 52.6%), but Excadrill wouldn't to set up to +6 because Flamethrower 2HKOs

If Excadrill had Mold Breaker, well thats a different story :l

BTW, you could run more SPA on weezing, but it isn't really needed if you are trying to wall Excadrill (and its a sort of default spread so you could modify it)

What to do:

Step 1: Switch in Weezing

Weezing is a free switch in if your opponent thinks their on a rampage or don't want to switch. Even if they predict and use Rock Slide / Iron Head, the damage is pathetic.

Step 2: Burn that Excadrill

Its simple. Just use Will-o-Wisp I guess. If it misses, it doesn't matter. Just go for it again, you have good bulk.

Step 3: Flamethrower it to death

Should do roughly 50% so it would usually 2HKO

Situations:

Sandstorm -
Black Sludge recovery cancels it out.
Gravity - I wasn't supposed to speak of this ;-; (i guess will-o is your best option)
Mud Sport - (off track af.)
Wonder Room- wtf. You will never see this on a team. The only Pokemon that learns it on a mono ground is Claydol (or Baltoy if your cheeky ;) ). Anyways, if this happens, Will-o it but I think you still take decent damage. (Though it isn't really a thing so it isn't a threat)

Thats basically it.

Last edited:
Fairy Check

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Excadrill under the sand is a huge threat for fairy and fairy monos have limited checks for this. CB Azumarill being one of them has a good shot of killing it with Aqua Jet and is guaranteed are some prior damage.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 356-422 (98.6 - 116.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Fire Check

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Air Slash
- Roost

Charizard is a pretty cool check for Excadrill as it can cancel out Sandstorm with Drought and proceed to outpace Excadrill. Either of its Fire-type STABs can OHKO Excadrill, and only takes some damage from a Rock Slide. However, Charizard is at best a check because it cannot switch into Excadrill without risking a Rock Slide.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Electric Check

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Thanks to Levitate and no Mold Breaker on Excadrill, Eelektross is immune to Earthquake, making him an excellent check to Life Orb Excadrill. He can use Drain Punch then to 2HKO Excadrill and heal up the damage that Excadrill can do to him, or Knock Off Excadrill's Life Orb, making him less powerful.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nominating Mega-Heracross as a check for Bug teams

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed / Sub / SD

It can eat a hit and KO back. Nothing on Ground really wants to switch in to this either.

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 172-203 (55.6 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Rock Excadrill CHECK

Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 236-281 (55.6 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Can't Eat two but is just like scpinion's Mega-Heracross can take one and KO with eq/fire punch

I assume I can post another one since this is after the first three days (I think).
ICE CHECK

Avalugg @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Avalanche
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Yes it may not seem like a counter but...
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 179-213 (45.4 - 54%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 248-292 (68.6 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Be careful of rocks and try to keep them away if possible, and also beware of flinch hax; strategy is to recover stall till ~70% and fire an EQ to KO that mole.

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
I assume I can post another one since this is after the first three days (I think).
ICE COUNTER

Avalugg @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Avalanche
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Yes it may not seem like a counter but...
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 179-213 (45.4 - 54%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 248-292 (68.6 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Be careful of rocks and try to keep them away if possible, and also beware of flinch hax; strategy is to recover stall till ~70% and fire an EQ to KO that mole.
Yeah Avalugg is a hard check at best as Excadrill could be ran in sand which counteracts leftovers and gives you about like 50% to 2hko. In addition, rocks are heavily prevalent on both Steel and Ground, an off course there is the chance to clinch with iron head.

BUG COUNTER

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 136-161 (39.6 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 136-161 (39.6 - 46.9%) -- 37.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Just try to keep rocks off the field (if possible, once again its a type weak to SR).

8 Atk Mega Scizor Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 372-438 (103 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah Avalugg is a hard check at best as Excadrill could be ran in sand which counteracts leftovers and gives you about like 50% to 2hko. In addition, rocks are heavily prevalent on both Steel and Ground, an off course there is the chance to clinch with iron head.
You are correct, I forgot about Sandstorm, sorry. I have changed it to a check.

Fire Check

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Air Slash
- Roost

Charizard is a pretty cool check for Excadrill as it can cancel out Sandstorm with Drought and proceed to outpace Excadrill. Either of its Fire-type STABs can OHKO Excadrill, and only takes some damage from a Rock Slide. However, Charizard is at best a check because it cannot switch into Excadrill without risking a Rock Slide.
By the way, you might want to run Protect to get sand up so its Excadrill isn't speedy and OHKOs u with rock slide n_n

Last edited:
Water Check: Quagsire

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Scald
-Counter

Yea nothing much to say about this, Exca does nothing to this regardless of the set. The banded set does 2 hit, but you can recover spam till your comfortable or just click Counter and end Exca.

252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 220-261 (55.8 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery. And from here Counter obviously kills. Scald fishes for burns but no need if counter is just going to kill regardless.
Noob Bush, psure water doesnt really struggle vs ground and it wasnt one of the types...Types: Rock Steel Ice Fire Poison Electric Fairy Bug
Anyway, If we are allowed to nominate thing for next week, I nominate Charizard-Y-Mega to see if we can counter that.

If this is the case i better do another one and another one I guess.

FAIRY CHECK

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Foul Play
- Reflect
- Spikes

Magnet Rise Klefki.

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 148-175 (46.5 - 55%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

With Reflect Up

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 74-88 (23.2 - 27.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

And then..
0- Atk Klefki Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 177-209 (49 - 57.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

This isn't the best way to deal with Excadrill. You would have to already be in to Check it properly, Reflect if it switches in (which u could predict somehow?) and then Magnet Rise the following turn and then Foul Play.

Though, it isn't a pure Counter because it gets OHKO'd by EQ on switch in, so you could run Air Balloon + Magnet Rise for a Better Check (but you could get predicted somehow) and then there goes your check.

How to do it:

- Switch in on the Excadrill (though it has to be a safe switch. So if ur previous mon has been KO'd by exca, switch into Klefki)
- Magnet Rise (Hoping they don't Iron Head you instead.)
- Reflect
- Foul Play to death

Bushtush

Banned deucer.
Noob Bush, psure water doesnt really struggle vs ground and it wasnt one of the types...Types: Rock Steel Ice Fire Poison Electric Fairy Bug
Anyway, If we are allowed to nominate thing for next week, I nominate Charizard-Y-Mega to see if we can counter that.
Oh my bad wasnt paying attention just made a post on whim...

If this is the case i better do another one and another one I guess.

FAIRY CHECK

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Foul Play
- Reflect
- Spikes

Magnet Rise Klefki.

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 148-175 (46.5 - 55%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

With Reflect Up

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 74-88 (23.2 - 27.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

And then..
0- Atk Klefki Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 177-209 (49 - 57.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

This isn't the best way to deal with Excadrill. You would have to already be in to Check it properly, Reflect if it switches in (which u could predict somehow?) and then Magnet Rise the following turn and then Foul Play.

Though, it isn't a pure Counter because it gets OHKO'd by EQ on switch in, so you could run Air Balloon + Magnet Rise for a Better Check (but you could get predicted somehow) and then there goes your check.

How to do it:

- Switch in on the Excadrill (though it has to be a safe switch. So if ur previous mon has been KO'd by exca, switch into Klefki)
- Magnet Rise (Hoping they don't Iron Head you instead.)
- Reflect
- Foul Play to death
Not sure if I've ever seen anyone use non dual screen Klefki with light clay. It's sort of a situational set, but it's cool. I think this sort of Klefki is a better way on steel to check ground than fairy to check ground.

Oh my bad wasnt paying attention just made a post on whim...
;)

Not sure if I've ever seen anyone use non dual screen Klefki with light clay. It's sort of a situational set, but it's cool. I think this sort of Klefki is a better way on steel to check ground than fairy to check ground.

;)
1. You could replace spikes with Light Screen
And yeah it is very situational. But if you are having trouble against ground for some reason, use this.

Steel has Skarm, so I'm doing it for Fairy. Anyway I could make WAY more situational stuff IronicNinja hehe

1. You could replace spikes with Light Screen
And yeah it is very situational. But if you are having trouble against ground for some reason, use this.

Steel has Skarm, so I'm doing it for Fairy. Anyway I could make WAY more situational stuff IronicNinja hehe
True all the easy counters are gone (skarm is a duh and so is rotom wash etc.) now most counters and checks will have to be semi situational

all falls down

thanks ugly god
This Week's Pokemon:

Week 3: 3 Attacks Mega Scizor

Types: Any type except Fire and Steel!

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

One of the most threatening sweeping Pokemon in the tier, Mega Scizor's bulk combined with its strong priority and access to Swords Dance makes it a force to be reckoned with. Remember, you can nominate 1 check or 1 counter for the first three days of the round, and you can nominate as many as you like in the last 3 days.
ive been busy so sorry for the delay, I'll add the submissions to the archive later

Ridley

lofi hip hop radio - beats to relax/study to
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Water COUNTER

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic / Counter
- Recover

Because of Quagsire's fantastic ability Unaware, it can eat up literally ANY hit Scizor can throw at it, no matter how many boosts it has. Then you obviously heal up and finish it off with a few Scalds, burning it the first time ofc.
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 144-171 (36.5 - 43.4%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Fighting check:

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- (Coverage move of choice)

Keldeo is really fighting's number 1 check for Scizor, as it's to be on every fighting team anyways and has key resists to beat it. Scalds burn chance is also cute, but Hydro has a fair chance to OHKO (or guaranteed after SR) .

Keldeo hitting Scizor:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 267-315 (95 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 267-315 (95 - 112%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Scizor hitting Keld:
252 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 59-70 (18.2 - 21.6%) -- possible 5HKO
252 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 89-105 (27.5 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Mega Scizor Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 158-187 (48.9 - 57.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

The bolded calc is the only one of particular note, as it prevents Keld switchin in easily. However, you outspeed by far so if you can nab a free turn via a sac or double, you're set.

It's worth noting you can run Modest if you're really bugged about the min/max without rocks, but you seriously sacrifice speed.

Last edited:
Electric Counter: Zapdos

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Heat Wave
- Discharge
- Roost
- Defog

Calcs:
+2 252 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 87-103 (22.7 - 26.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Mega Scizor: 272-324 (79.3 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Pretty simple, just switch into the Scizor whilst it Swords Dances or uses any other move, and proceed to Heat Wave it to death.

Counter (Flying)

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave

Despite it being SpDef, Zapdos is an excellent counter because it resists all 3 of its moves, is able to outspeed and KO it with Heat Wave.

+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 207-243 (54 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 137-162 (35.7 - 42.2%) -- 92.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Mega Scizor Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 182-215 (47.5 - 56.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Scizor: 332-392 (117.7 - 139%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Gdi Bondie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)