ORAS UU Viability Rankings V4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that just proves Corsola to C-Rank should be a nom.

Really though, Gastrodon is more annoying than effective to me. I mean, it can stop some stuff, but it only really shuts down bulky waters. Mostly cune.

Probably should mention that another big problem Gastrodon faces is that it does not love being Taunted. Gastro really depends a lot on Recover to reliably get it's HP back up and Curse to attain the boosts, and without access to them, it's even more passive.

Edit: That doesn't mean that I think it shouldn't be on the list, but nowhere even close to B rank. C- or C rank seem about right for it.

Last edited:
Defensive Gastrodon is worse than Seismitoad for sure and it's only niche would be its access to Clear Smog and Recover, which is something Amoonguss already has, but it's dual typing would leave it a step over Milotic. Curse Gastrodon is its best set and it's the reason why it might get ranked over Seismitoad. You'd need to get rid of any flying and levitating mons including monster like Salamence, Hydreigon, or Zapdos but it's still a good win-con on defensive teams. It may not be as effective as it is in OU (where it's getting nominating for B+) but still deserves being ranked on C at least.

Btw nominating Milotic from C to C-. I don't agree on Milotic getting ranked out of D as having Recover on a mono-water is not enough niche when UU has Jellicent, Slowking, Gastro and Quagsire, but anyways I feel it should not be a level over Blastoise or Durant.

Btw nominating Milotic from C to C-. I don't agree on Milotic getting ranked out of D as having Recover on a mono-water is not enough niche when UU has Jellicent, Slowking, Gastro and Quagsire, but anyways I feel it should not be a level over Blastoise or Durant.
Uhhh... I don't know why you brought up those two mons to argue that Milotic should be in the same rank as them, seeing as regular Blastoise is just as worse as a bulky water-type since it has no reliable recovery aside from Leftovers and the gimmicky Aqua Ring, and Durant especially since it plays a completely different role from it, to justify a drop.

If anything, Milotic has a somewhat more relevant niche as a status absorber, since Sableye is abundant on a lot of teams, which allows Milotic to activate Marvel Scale and make it more physically bulky. It's passive, yeah, but nowhere near as passive as regular Blastoise. If we're comparing typing and bulk between Milotic and Durant, Durant has the better typing, yes, but it's HP and SpDef hardly make it as bulky compared to Milotic.

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Stoise spins which is at least something while Milo sits there and invites your opponents Water check to come in for free, no recovery sucks but spin is pretty big when considering how crappy the ranking we're talking about is.

To talk about something that isn't a bottom feeder, do people really still feel Reuni is A+ stuff? The additions of Sableye Crawdaunt and Metagross all hurt its viability and although it can get around the two latter pkmn with the OTR set, it's CM set has taken a hit in viability which was I think the bigger factor in it getting pushed up to A+ in the first place. Not to mention its gained a p hard counter and more offensive playstyles becoming more prominent make it harder to fit than it used to be. It's by no means a bad mon, but taking into account recent UU changes I wondered what opinions people had on it?

Hi, guys. I'd like to nominate original Audino for C.

This is the set I use for long time:
Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 72 SpD / 204 Spe
(some speed for countering cm Florges)
Careful Nature
- Encore
- Knock Off
- Yawn
- Protect

Original Audino has 103 base HP, 86 spD and Def, togather with the beautiful ability: regenerator, give it ability to be a double sides wall.
Normal type has only one weakness, the fight type. Therefore, most of special attackers can't 2HKO it with their supplementary moves.
Attributed to regenerator, Audino can be used to probe the set (e.g. from the quantity of damage) of some pokemons such as:
Salamence
Hydreigon
Zapdos
Shaymin
Rotom-C
Rotom-H
Gardevoir
(And some rarely used pokemons you don't know how to deal with)

Comparing with other popular regeratator pokemons in UU (Reuniclus, Alomomola , Slowking, Tangrowth and Amoonguss) , normal tpye gives Audino larger range of probing, balance between spD and Def give it higher adaptability to double sides attackers.
Comparing with other special walls such as Blissey, Audino does not need to spend a turn to recover and has the ability of stopping setting up.

Encore
and Yawn can be used in different situations:
Encore gives Audino the ability of hardly countering some set up sets (Reuniclus, Florges, Chandelure, Snorlax, Cresselia and Doublade). Comparing with another famous encorer, Whimsicott, Audino has the advantage that it can switch into Doublade and Chandelure who want to set up with smaller risk. Regenerator makes Audino more chances to counter those set up mons.

Yawn forces opponent to swith, then create the chance of making plays. With rocks in field, continuous using yawn can heap damage to opponent, heal up Audino itself by leftover and even force some pokemons into sleep.

Since the atk and spa of Audino are poor, Knock Off is a suitable move for it. I chose protect for the last move, for 1 turm heal up and avoid being killed after yawn.

These are some highlight replays of using Audino in high rank games:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-308205082 (countering Doublade)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-312442378 (countering Sceptile-Mega)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-312273285 (probe Espeon)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-287608430 (countering snorlax)

Therefore, I think original Audino deserved a C.

I think Reuniclus should be moved down to A-

The prevalence of Dark / Ghost types in the tier make it hard for Reuniclus to set up / sweep in the current meta. Many of the common Pokemon in UU are able to beat Reuniclus 1v1 such as Entei, Hydreigon, Mega Bee, Krookodile, Feraligatr, Crawdaunt, Chandelure, and Heracross. It is also completely countered by Sableye, and Doublade, as neither of the common moves it runs can touch it. Another viable counter is Milotic (higher speed + haze), which completely shuts down Reuniclus.

Many of these pokes also get a switch in on Reuniclus easily, as they are mostly dark, one predicted Calm Mind or Psyshock / Psychic and you have a free switch, forcing Reuniclus switch or take massive damage. Reuniclus cannot OHKO most of these pokes back either barring Crawdaunt, Mega Bee, Heracross (25% chance), and Krook (6.3% chance).

calcs:

252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 255-301 (60.1 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 213-252 (50.2 - 59.4%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus: 290-344 (68.3 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 292-348 (68.8 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 380-450 (89.6 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

220+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 234-278 (55.1 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 452-536 (106.6 - 126.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus: 324-384 (76.4 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 542-638 (127.8 - 150.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As all of these common pokes can out speed and either 2HKO OR OHKO Reuniclus with super effect / STAB moves, Reuniclus is hindered greatly in its chances to set up in a match, and can be knocked out easily. Reuniclus is too slow, and hindered by common checks / counters easily to justify it having an A+ rank, comparing its utility to that of Feraligatr, Entei, Krook, and Mamoswine should be changed, and it should be at an A-.

I agree with the general notion that Reuniclus should move down, but not for any of the points you made above. Before December, Reuniclus was still a dominant force in the metagame and a threat that spiraled out of control if not dealt with early on. However, the reason Reuniclus should move down to A (A- is still too harsh, buddy) is the December drops. They all are Pokemon that can either hard-check or counter the traditional Reuniclus, most notably (as FreeRoamer mentioned) Crawdaunt, Metagross, and Sableye.

Sableye is the primary offender as it completely shuts down Psyshock/Focus Blast variants and can usually safely deal with Shadow Ball variants at +1, and Sableye's increasing prevalence in the metagame only negatively impacts Reuniclus' viability. The other two aren't as big of an issue since team members can safely deal with both for a CM Reuniclus sweep. Ultimately, Reuniclus is still a very good set-up Pokemon that can set up against some of the popular defensive Pokemon in the tier (notably CM Florges), but I think the best thing to do now is to wait for usage stats and some stats from SPL to determine where Reuniclus truly stands in the metagame.

On a side note, I don't think Audino should be ranked. The metagame has a boatload of things that can manage CM Florges. Audino is completely overshadowed by UU's many defensive options and stallbreaking options. The set tries so hard in countering Florges that it completely fails to do anything else for the team.

Last edited:
On a side note, I don't think Audino should be ranked. The metagame has a boatload of things that can manage CM Florges. Audino is completely overshadowed by UU's many defensive options and stallbreaking options. The set tries so hard in countering Florges that it completely fails to do anything else for the team.
Audino can not be overshadowed by any mon in UU for the reasons I mentioned above. Countering CM Florges is only one of the points of that 204 speed, for wish Florges or something else like Blissey, outspeed them so it is possible to encore them for heal bell or wish so that stop passing wish or curing. It's worthy to use these evs in speed instead of other places.

Probing, knowking off items, force out thread and stopping setting up, these are the things Audino can do for a team. I can not understand why Clefairy can be ranked but Audino can not be.

Other 'mons, like Jellicent, Whimsicott, Sableye, and Roar Suicune, are also pretty good at stopping setup. Countering CM Florges is not as unique as you make it seem either. We have Mega Aggron, Doublade, Mega Beedrill, Nidoking, Metagross, Bronzong, and a number of other 'mons that do this job. Knock Off is also a move better utilized by offensive Pokemon like Krookodile, Mamoswine, and Crawdaunt. Probing, by which I think you mean Protect scouting, is definitely not unique. Chesnaught, Alomomola, Protect Florges, Umbreon, and many other defensive Pokemon can all do that. All of the 'mons I just listed are superior choices for teams, and I could've probably listed more if I wanted to. Audino stays unranked imo.

On the subject of Reuniclus, A is a pretty nice home for it. I've been using Reuniclus on multiple teams for months now, and I think it's safe to say that its viability is diminished. Though it's still a great setup sweeper and ultimately one of my first choices for a win condition or stallbreaker on a number of builds, it's hard for me to deny that the increased use of its checks/counters in this metagame is making it harder to sweep with it. It's a bit like the situation with Curse Snorlax once Cobalion became an extremely common threat.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hydreigon, non-CB Krook, Entei, Gatr, even Beedrill - none of these things are hard answers to Reuni (and all of them existed prior to the tier shift and Daunt suspect, when Reuni was S rank). Reuniclus can tank a hit and KO most of these in return, or Recover stall others (I have seen Reuni beat Entei on multiple occasions by Recover stalling Sacred Fire out of PP). Yes, it isn't able to set up on everything in the world - but it can still set up on a large portion of the tier, and it is ridiculously hard to stop once it does. Also, LO Reuniclus is great at breaking down things that think they can handle the Lefties version.

Reuniclus is one of those 'mons where no matter how badly a game is going, if I have a healthy one sitting in the back, I feel like there's always at least a chance I'm going to turn things around.

That said, this meta IS really unfriendly to it, and I could see it dropping to somewhere in the high As. Certainly not A- - I think it's still miles ahead of the majority of A- - but possibly A.

Now that we have numbers, I'm going to (try to) make some decent nominations here:

First off, before anyone starts making nominations, the numbers for playstyles show a decent increase in Offensive teams (up ~3% from November to December). Semi-Stall and Stall both decreased in usage (0.03% and 0.38%, respectively). Hail has seen a considerable increase in usage (1.21% increase) which I can only assume that is coming from Abomasnow.

Second, the metagame seems to have centralized a bit more (or maybe the data is shifted now that Antar differentiated Mega from Base). The 10%+ mark has shrunk from 18 Pokemon to 12 Pokemon. The 9%+ mark has shrunk from 22 Pokemon to 17 Pokemon. The 8%+ mark still remains at 25 Pokemon. Either way, I'm going to refrain from touching upon the Megas until February.

As the thread correctly predicted, Reuniclus usage has dropped from 7.4% to 5.2%. This should be enough to warrant a discussion about its viability. Another interesting drop is Chandelure, which experienced a 1.47% drop in usage. Empoleon experienced a 1.848% drop in usage. Florges has dropped a considerable amount (3.5%), which is significant at the 10%+ level. Krookodile has dropped 2.04%.

After mining data for Aerodactyl usage from November, it shows that Aero-Mega experienced a 2.09% decrease in usage.

I understand that usage doesnot imply viability, but percentage changes of roughly 1.5% or greater (decent movement) should warrant a discussion about a shift in their viability since both elements are related. Of course, I want to wait for at least the first week of SPL to actually determine some Pokemon's viability.

Fun Fact: Chesnaught increased in usage by 1.22% and Toxicroak surprisingly dropped 1.017%. Not extremely significant considering both Pokemon are well under the 7% usage line, but it definitely dispels the notion that the introduction of Crawdaunt would shift both Pokemon's viability.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Audino can not be overshadowed by any mon in UU for the reasons I mentioned above. Countering CM Florges is only one of the points of that 204 speed, for wish Florges or something else like Blissey, outspeed them so it is possible to encore them for heal bell or wish so that stop passing wish or curing. It's worthy to use these evs in speed instead of other places.

Probing, knowking off items, force out thread and stopping setting up, these are the things Audino can do for a team. I can not understand why Clefairy can be ranked but Audino can not be.
Clefairy actually has a viable niche in its typing and ability, Magic Guard, which gives it at least some opportunity to deal with threats such as Mega Blastoise and Hydreigon, since it takes no Hazard Damage and can deal with them fairly decently with Softboiled. A Specially Defensive Clefairy actually operates slightly different than Florges or Aromatisse, since it has access to both Thunder Wave and Healing Wish, two important support moves that neither Fairy Has. The closest comparison is Whimsicott, and that mon is played as a completely different pivot.

Overall, I think you're looking at the incorrect factors. The set that you're using is largely outclassed by other Prankster mons such as Sableye or Whimsicott. You can easily pair up either with a Tentacruel to set up a stable and reliable core alongside decent utility support options. Running that much speed on Audino hinders its ability to tank hits and reliably recovery from them. It's not an Alomomola where it starts with 471 or something insane, so you're looking at really reduced bulk from that much speed. However, Audino wouldn't even function as a Florges counter. Taking in Audino's stats and movepool, it would also serve as either a defensive wish pivot or some sort of underwhelming Calm Mind sweeper. Regarding the former, Alomomola outclasses it in every respect, having more defensive bulk, better typing, and a very decent utility movepool. Regarding the latter, if you've picked Audino as your Calm Mind sweeper, then I cry tears for Reuniclus and Suicune.

I get that you've made Audino work to some capacity against lower level play, which is just fine. It's nice when your favourite Pokemon do well in a tier that totally outclasses it. But just how a Choice Band Flareon has no business being in UU, neither does some demented man's version of a female white marshmallow.

TL;DR Audino will not rise.

I think Reuniclus should be moved down to A-

The prevalence of Dark / Ghost types in the tier make it hard for Reuniclus to set up / sweep in the current meta. Many of the common Pokemon in UU are able to beat Reuniclus 1v1 such as Entei, Hydreigon, Mega Bee, Krookodile, Feraligatr, Crawdaunt, Chandelure, and Heracross. It is also completely countered by Sableye, and Doublade, as neither of the common moves it runs can touch it. Another viable counter is Milotic (higher speed + haze), which completely shuts down Reuniclus.

Many of these pokes also get a switch in on Reuniclus easily, as they are mostly dark, one predicted Calm Mind or Psyshock / Psychic and you have a free switch, forcing Reuniclus switch or take massive damage. Reuniclus cannot OHKO most of these pokes back either barring Crawdaunt, Mega Bee, Heracross (25% chance), and Krook (6.3% chance).
Entei has to use Flare Blitz in order to be any danger to Reun, and after a Stealth Rock worth of damage, it can only click Flare Blitz 3-4 more times. Standard Reun strat is to Recover on an Entei's attack to scout for the first move. Reun pairs extremely well with a Bulky Water, so Entei won't be doing anything.

Hydreigon needs to be scared of +1 CM and/or Focus Blast. Choice Scarf can't even OHKO non-boosted.

You can Recover on Mega Beedrill's U-turn, which is what your play should be most of the time. Either that or switch into the relevant partner cause you know U-turn is coming. Bulkier Cobalion w/ Volt Switch makes a great partner with Reun, btw.

Yes, I'll grant you that Choice Band Krook is a problem for Reuniclus. But so is a Choice Specs Hydreigon. It's not surprising that buffed up +1 Super Effective moves can KO a Pokemon. The same applies to every other A+ mon.

The fact that I can get a +1 Psyshock's worth of Damage on that Gatr before it even thinks to KO me is hilarious. Oh and guess what, +1 Gatr doesn't KO, so if it thinks I'm switching or gonna set up or waste turns, that gg, that's a dead Gatr.

Again, not surprising that a Crawdaunt OHKOs Reun. At least something does.

Chandelure Switches in on Stealth Rock. It's now at 75%. That same turn, Reuniclus clicks Calm Mind. It is now at +1, and can survive even a Specs Shadow Ball. The opponent now has one of two choices: (1) Spam Shadow Ball and weaken me so the next Pokemon can take out Reun; (2) Trick me and Lock me into something... anything... and let the next Pokemon take out Reun, or get lucky with a Recover/Calm Mind (which won't happen against me, I guarantee that :heart:). Well, in Scenario one, Chandelure's Specs Shadow Ball will hit me for a good chunk, and I'll OHKO with a +1 Psyshock or a good ol' fashioned Shadow Ball. Same applies to Scenario two, except now you have a +1 Reuniclus that's locked into Psyshock. Now that's somewhat good, except your Chandelure is dead. Oh yeah, speaking of your Doublade answer, you realize that Shadow Ball Reuniclus isn't uncommon, right? You also realize that Doublade needs about a turn or two to do anything relevant back to Reuniclus, right? Also, remember that Water-type partner I was talking about? Yeah, Doublade is a common threat that people prepare for, it's nothing new for Reuniclus.

A Choice Band Heracross can OHKO Reuniclus :v4:? Never knew that.

Look dude, my point is that your calcs weren't very critical of Reuniclus's issues, and you didn't really present any valid arguments for Reuniclus to drop. Your discussion points did, however, echo some reasons as to how Reuniclus fell from its throne (it used to be S rank just over a month ago). This being said, your other points are not very well thought out. For instance, you say that many of these Pokemon get a switch in on Reuniclus easily. That's not true dude, all of those Pokemon fear one of Reuniclus's common moves, or a Calm Mind. It also beats all other Calm Mind users if it runs Shadow Ball. That's a very notable job. The introduction of Sableye has created a bit of an issue for BOTH common Reuniclus sets. Since the meta currently favours semi-stall or balance cores with Sableye, Reuniclus is having a bit harder of a time getting its job done to its fullest capacity, however, it's still a damn threatening Pokemon. If Reuniclus does fall, it'll take some time for that to be determined. The lowest I can currently see is High-A.

Look dude, my point is that your calcs weren't very critical of Reuniclus's issues, and you didn't really present any valid arguments for Reuniclus to drop. Your discussion points did, however, echo some reasons as to how Reuniclus fell from its throne (it used to be S rank just over a month ago). This being said, your other points are not very well thought out. For instance, you say that many of these Pokemon get a switch in on Reuniclus easily. That's not true dude, all of those Pokemon fear one of Reuniclus's common moves, or a Calm Mind. It also beats all other Calm Mind users if it runs Shadow Ball. That's a very notable job. The introduction of Sableye has created a bit of an issue for BOTH common Reuniclus sets. Since the meta currently favours semi-stall or balance cores with Sableye, Reuniclus is having a bit harder of a time getting its job done to its fullest capacity, however, it's still a damn threatening Pokemon. If Reuniclus does fall, it'll take some time for that to be determined. The lowest I can currently see is High-A.
I agree with the statements you made in your post and I apologize if my points weren't made explicitly clear. I was trying to get across the the meta has become more harsh for Reuniclus (with the prevalence of pokes that threaten it) than before, and therefore it's viability has dropped (as stated by other users in replies). Reading rebuttals from yourself and others, I concede that A- may have been too harsh for Reuniclus, but as I said the meta has become harsher for Reuniclus to preform to the ability it used to, although it is still a very viable Pokemon in the meta, I do not think it would be as viable as Mamo, Entei, or Krook for example, which it is currently in the same tier as.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Less of a viability thing, more of a suggestion for formatting, but could the mons listed up there possibly have a link to the analysis in their name or something?
Considering that linking the analyses will take about an hour, and that you can open the analysis in the teambuilder and/or just type the Pokemon on google and a smogon analysis will pop up, I personally will not be investing my time into this. If you can convince another mod/dodmen, then w/e, but I'm not gonna bother with it.

Considering that linking the analysis will take about an hour, and that you can open the analysis in the teambuilder and/or just type the Pokemon on google and a smogon analysis will pop up, I personally will not be investing my time into this. If you can convince another mod/dodmen, then w/e. Personally I think it's a waste of time.
oof harsh

Anyway, nominating Voltbeat to C-. Volbeat is a very strong albeit niche support Pokemon that benefits from a more offensive metagame. Access to Prankster Baton Pass, Tail Glow, Thunder Wave, and a boatload of other utility moves indirectly benefits the tier's other Pokemon.

Punchshroom/Teddeh Volbeat set:
Volbeat @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass
- Roost
- Thunder Wave / Encore

As you can see, I've taken some inspiration from the NU viability rankings thread, but the Pokemon is nonetheless effective. As Teddeh said, the Roost makes Volbeat's Tail Glow passes much more consistent and somewhat easier to reach full +4; however, Volbeat is not splashable and must be built around. In a tier dominated by a mix of Bulky Pokemon (Suicune, Florges) and frail, hard-hitting Pokemon (Crawdaunt, Chandelure), a team built around Volbeat provides an unconventional way of punishing teams that use slightly more passive Pokemon such as Forretress and Florges, both of which are popular elements in the tier at the moment. However, Volbeat is still Volbeat, and it still needs incredible team synergy and dedication to pull off. That's why I'm nominating it for the lowest C ranking possible.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
oof harsh

Anyway, nominating Voltbeat to C-. Volbeat is a very strong albeit niche support Pokemon that benefits from a more offensive metagame. Access to Prankster Baton Pass, Tail Glow, Thunder Wave, and a boatload of other utility moves indirectly benefits the tier's other Pokemon.

Volbeat @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass
- Roost
- Thunder Wave / Encore

As you can see, I've taken some inspiration from the NU viability rankings thread, but the Pokemon is nonetheless effective. As Teddeh said, the Roost makes Volbeat's Tail Glow passes much more consistent and somewhat easier to reach full +4; however, Volbeat is not splashable and must be built around. In a tier dominated by a mix of Bulky Pokemon (Suicune, Florges) and frail, hard-hitting Pokemon (Crawdaunt, Chandelure), a team built around Volbeat provides an unconventional way of punishing teams that use slightly more passive Pokemon such as Forretress and Florges, both of which are popular elements in the tier at the moment. However, Volbeat is still Volbeat, and it still needs incredible team synergy and dedication to pull off. That's why I'm nominating it for the lowest C ranking possible.
I'm seconding this, there are a lot of powerful fast pokemon that love to recieve this. Albeit it is screwed over by Taunt if it passes this to a pokemon like Hydreigon, Zapdos or Shaymin it will make your day a nightmare. Of course incredibly niche so I don't see this going up any higher than that.

Catholic Rabbits

Banned deucer.
Fun Fact: Everytime an unranked pokemon gets nommed, a child drops his icecream.

Didn't we make a rule about nomming unranked pokemon? It shouldnt be allowed imo. A lot of pokemon that are unranked have niches but that does not mean they should be ranked. Determining this should be done by veteran users. I propose that only badged users can nom unranked pokemon. I don't like seeing full pages of uneducated arguments supporting said pokemon and I don't think other players do either.

Fun Fact: Everytime an unranked pokemon gets nommed, a child drops his icecream.

Didn't we make a rule about nomming unranked pokemon? It shouldnt be allowed imo. A lot of pokemon that are unranked have niches but that does not mean they should be ranked. Determining this should be done by veteran users. I propose that only badged users can nom unranked pokemon. I don't like seeing full pages of uneducated arguments supporting said pokemon and I don't think other players do either.
1) Welcome to Smogon :)

2) I'm not to sure if dodmen/VR team made such a rule, mostly because we tend to not get a lot of dumb noms for ranking. If we do, it's usually for a Pokemon that's already ranked. That problem is usually most prevalent in the OU viability rankings thread. I skimmed the OP and couldn't find anything about not nominating Pokemon.

3) As long as you can say why a Pokemon should be ranked relative to the metagame, then you should have no trouble and start a fruitful discussion. If a post talks about shifts in the playstyle trends, the spike in popularity of x, and how unranked Pokemon directly benefits the playstyle or metagame trend, then he or she made a decent argument that's a good jumping-off point for a good placement discussion.

4) Your tone's a bit on the harsh end, and people tend to react to harsh statements pretty poorly. I understand what you're trying to say and you bring up a fair point, but I think it's best to let the VR team decide on the proposals.

5) Don't judge a book by its cover. UU has a lot of good Pokemon battlers who've topped the ladder multiple times, are active in the community, and do not have badges. Badges are a sign of accomplishment, but shouldn't be the barometer in which you judge an argument's validity. Keep that in mind.

6) If you think that a person's nomination is bad, you can always post a well-constructed argument here refuting his points. That's the magic of community discussion.

oof harsh

Volbeat @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass
- Roost
- Thunder Wave / Encore

I think this is a good idea because of the fact the Volbeat can instantly get to plus 3 to become instantly threatening with one priority Tail Glow and pass it off with a priority Baton Pass.

The point of Viability Rankings is for the community to hammer out the rankings.

So where do you come in? Well, after the preliminary rankings have been worked out by us, it's the entire community's job to refine those rankings to more accurately reflect the true viability of all relevant Pokemon in the UU metagame. Because our guesses will come before much meaningful experience using Pokemon will have occured, we can't be accurate enough without your help. Post about the Pokemon that you're experienced using, but try not to let your personal bias oversell any Pokemon.​

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
to B+/A-

Let's try this again. In my previous nom, I touched on how Amph was a good check to Crawdaut, and with Crawdaunt's drop, Ground type usage would decrease which lets Amphy spam Volt Switch more easily. However, this was not enough to give Amph the rise. However, now that we have numbers to show the decrease in usage of Grounds + Gyarados drop, Ampharos deserves a rise. Here are usage % of UU's top Grounds:

18.97% --> 14.83%
11.01% --> 8.97%
4.50% --> 5.16%
5.37% --> 6.91%
7.16% --> 5.82%
7.51% -->8.25%

As you can see, Mamo faced a huge drop in usage over December, while Krook also suffered a significant drop. Nidoqueen and Mega Pert received a very small bump in usage, Nidoking got a decent boost, and finally, base Swampert fell a good amount. Of course, correlation does not imply causation, but that is irrelevant since it doesn't matter what caused this decrease. All that matters is that Ground types are falling in usage so Ampharos' viability increases. Ampharos also counters Gyarados unless it is DD EQ, which I do not think will be used more than SubDD or DD Taunt.

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Amphy is definitely becoming more useful with the recent additions to the tier and I think it deserves a rise but not by all that much. A- is way too high for it imo and I would have a much easier time fitting most of the b+ ranks on a team as well. Mamphy is a good check to some things, including craw and gyara but that is pretty much it. It gets outclassed as a water check by a lot of things, like helio (arguably) which is at the bottom of b+. It gets outclassed as a dragon by just about every other dragon in the tier, including msceptile. It receives tough competition for a mega slot by almost all of the megas currently higher than it. I think it deserves around high b, just below Mabsol.

I'm on mobile, so I can't explain much, but could we maybe do wide dropping Infernape a bit? A lot of the new drops are just not nice to it unless it can get set up, and it can be pretty hard vs offensive teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)