[Standard] Ampharos Mafia - Broken Roles Win!

Now you know why UncleSam didn't get into my game. Also, I commented on the possible imbalace on IRC (to UncleSam, when we were talking about his hidden role - I knew for reasons I won't bother explaining.) before his getting in before "imbalanced" posts!

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok seriously, our roles weren't broken. We had to:
A. Find each other. Not an easy task when you aren't on the player's list.
B. Figure out how to revive Ampharos. We were given no hints as to how to do this, we had to figure it out.
C. Revive Ampharos. We had to convince blue_tornado to idle on a kill AND inspect to combine the items, which is hard when you aren't playing. I had to pretend I was an anonymous messenger carrying messages from "Flaaffy" to blue_tornado in order to convince him, lol.
D. Have him not be killed. Every time blue_tornado was killed, one of the hidden players died. Once even one of us died, every other faction would probably align against us.

Not to mention that you were given big red bold warnings every single update that Ampharos was among you, yet no one attempted to find him. Also, no one gave any thought to the presence of item-combiners without any items.

Seriously, we had our work cut out for us but we accomplished our goal, far faster than any other faction did. Keep in mind that we lost instantly if the last item combiner died, so it wasn't like we could sit back idling and hope for the best here. We had to be proactive but stealthy, and no one had any clue, despite all of the warning signs given you. The only people who can possibly complain are the Turncoats anyways, since they were easily going to win if not for us. Everyone else was sitting back and letting them win, so congrats on that villages.

With all that being said, I don't think either of the villages had much of a chance, given the enormous size of the Turncoats AND the threat of Ampharos being revived. They had powerful roles, but it was inevitable they would fight amongst themselves.

I think I said something about mole roles on IRC to you, Alchemator.

It included a very described and brutal death of you.

Watch over your shoulder. Even when you sleep. I will be under your pillow, with a saw.

P.S. Also, I have a vague memory of Uncle coming and trying to get info from me, my WC to be exact. Since I can't be arsed to find the logs, is this true, US?

EDIT: Actually, we were un-united too. Only me and Nachos were united at the time of my death, and Nachos got to know of Badal after he died and I told him (I got access to master sheet). Also RaRe went under the radar. I blame Agape.

UncleSam

Leading this village
I wasn't aware you weren't united. That makes your numbers much more balanced, now that I think about it. Also, yes I tried to get roles from quite a few people, you and Eo were the only ones to refuse me during all of n0 lol. By the way, I didn't get any actual Role PMs, just role descriptions; I wasn't dumb enough to get myself godkilled over a few roles. However, everyone told me the truth, which is interesting.

Good thing I was inspect, I missed the last two updates -_-
Anyway, yeah, we were broken once we got Ampharos, but man was it ever difficult actually summoning him in the first place. Huge props to UncleSam for that, he really pulled off an impressive feat. That being said, mafia isn't really mafia when you have to pretend you're not actually in the game. Oh well, GG

GG everyone. And for the record, I would NOT scarper into an abyss, even if Pidge told me to.

The ampharosians were broken in this game, but that is not because of how it was set up. It was because we initially thought there were only Farmers and Grounds, and then discovered there were turncoats among us. At this point we figured "hey we're so good we found the hidden faction!" and no longer considered that there could be another faction (at least I didn't). If however one of the Flaffys had been lynched or killed, it would have been a whole different story. Props to them for being convincing villagers.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Nanoswine...we were hidden. We weren't about to be lynched or killed, nor were we "convincing villagers". What I was was a "convincing non-player" in my moling, and we were not broken for a variety of other reasons that I described a few posts up. I don't think the problem was that the Farmers and Grounds never considered a hidden faction, it's that they let me have info as a non-player (at least the Grounds did).

I have to agree that the fact that all three of you were hidden made you really broken, even considering how hard it was to convince BT to combine the items and everything else. I mean, there was like a 0.001% chance of you getting killed, even less lynched. You were exactly like that Samara role in Chaos Mafia (even if i wasn't around back then), except you were 3 and you didn't give out clues about your existence, which imo made you even MORE broken.

UncleSam said:
A. Find each other. Not an easy task when you aren't on the player's list.
All you had to do was talk to everyone who didn't get in and was on the players list and ask if they were a Flaaffy. There wouldn't be any reason for them to say no, nor would there be for someone who isn't to say yes.

UncleSam said:
B. Figure out how to revive Ampharos. We were given no hints as to how to do this, we had to figure it out.
C. Revive Ampharos. We had to convince blue_tornado to idle on a kill AND inspect to combine the items, which is hard when you aren't playing. I had to pretend I was an anonymous messenger carrying messages from "Flaaffy" to blue_tornado in order to convince him, lol.
D. Have him not be killed. Every time blue_tornado was killed, one of the hidden players died. Once even one of us died, every other faction would probably align against us.
Ok yeah, I give you props on B and C, but for D, even if we knew there was another faction of players not on the list, we wouldn't know who they are, and what would we do then? Randomly pick a did-not-get-in and attempt to lynch him? The only way would be to keep trying to kill B_T but even that's a hard solution to come to given the situation.

UncleSam said:
Not to mention that you were given big red bold warnings every single update that Ampharos was among you
Didn't BunnyMaster say he inspected B_T? That means he showed up as a Ground Type until he became Ampharos, so he was essentially a uh...clean wolf? That sounds kinda broken to me. And even if he hadn't been cleaned, he had 3 bpv's and 2 night kills :| So unless lynching him overrides them, he's guaranteed to survive for 3 cycles. Yes, he could die in one night but, let's face it, all three factions won't target the same guy for a kill, even if trying to collaborate.

tl;dr I think the ampharosians where really broken, but i do congratulate you guys on figuring what you had to do and getting it done, gj on that

Exarius, I was THIS FUCKING CLOSE to actually contacting you about your post, but i have not the slightest idea what made me reconsider doing it lol. I really really should have. Also, I contacted Nachos later to try and unite, but he wouldn't confess he was a turncoat. Since BunnyMaster was who told me he was a turncoat, and he himself seemed a little unsure if it, I didn't try too hard either so...yeah, I was annoyed i never got to speak to other turncoats and/or use my absorbed role >:|

I am going to quote this in postgame btw.

Nanoswine...we were hidden. We weren't about to be lynched or killed, nor were we "convincing villagers". What I was was a "convincing non-player" in my moling, and we were not broken for a variety of other reasons that I described a few posts up. I don't think the problem was that the Farmers and Grounds never considered a hidden faction, it's that they let me have info as a non-player (at least the Grounds did).
I get it now, no wonder I was thinking "hey where were these guys the whole game" lol

This makes me realize however that you were indeed broken. There was no chance of you dying, and so after you figured out how to revive Ampharos your WC basically became "make sure one of 3 people with the power to become Ampharos doesn't die," which as a hidden player with a slew of powers should have been easy enough. Not only that, but as you weren't on the player list I would think people would be totally open with you. And even on the very off chance that we managed to kill one of you, where would that get us? One down, two unnamed players to go?

The Flaaffy themselves weren't meant to be targeted at any point in the game. They would all have lost if the two (three?) statue making guys died, and if they managed to summon Ampharos, they were killed by Ampharos being killed three times, not by being targeted themselves. Also, once Ampharos was killed once it would be very obvious that the guy is Ampharos, so he would basically be screwed unless he could negotiate his way out of it.

I think having three lives was overkill for Ampharos, and maybe the double kill too (as opposed to like two lives and a single kill). Alchemator originally wanted four and I said two so we ended up compromising at three. So Ampharos had two one-time-B-or-LPVs in the form of the Flaaffy.

Yeah, the point is, once I live from a kill/lynch once it's already a solid sign that I am Ampharos, not to mention there were little players at that stage making it easy to deduce who's what. To my luck though there were still some unexpected hidden Turncoats that gave me targets to blame. Meh, BM barely even asked me about the whole Ampharos issue so I didn't even have to start lying about all that haha.

Expecting postgame.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
You still had enough power even if targeted by a kill/lynch once to win easily, since there were only, what, 10 people left when Ampharos was summoned? Plus, there was no incentive to kill you since you were what seemed to be a useless item combiner in a game with no items.

You still had enough power even if targeted by a kill/lynch once to win easily, since there were only, what, 10 people left when Ampharos was summoned? Plus, there was no incentive to kill you since you were what seemed to be a useless item combiner in a game with no items.
I'm not saying it wasn't broken - it was very broken once Ampharos was revived, especially since I've acted as a (quite useless -- although I was in charge of the Ground kill at first) honest Ground up to that point, so keeping the facade for a night or two wasn't that complicated. Especially when BM didn't seem to care much about it. US just did a really good job with the process itself, so he shouldn't be taken credit from.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What Earthworm said.

However, none of you cared to notice this: Flamestrike was P1, yet some P2s got in. ?_? None of you bothered at all reading the updates either it seems.

What pushed Ampharos over the edge here was that it came out later than I expected due to Blue Tornado receiving the items, then using an inspect instead for one night, then being hooked the next.

It was perfectly possible that Blue Tornado was going to be hooked ad infinitum - The Farmers didn't care to notice that there was no Ground kill on the night Blue Tornado was hooked?

Anyway, will explain in postgame (which might come by the end of the century).

How exactly are we supposed to care to notice something like that when situations like this have NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE? And we were reading the updates but frankly, I had no clue how to find who Ampharos was. I'm sure Bunnymaster would have easily known that something was up if B_T's kill passed on to another Ground Type while he was still alive (did it? it should have else that would have been whack) In fact, I had passed off b_T as harmless and was going to save him for last because no items had appeared at all during the game too combine. (And for the record I wasn't paying too much attention to the game before the makiri lynch due to me being at summer camp and having limited access)

It also doesn't help that UncleSam edited his post after he contacted the rest of the amphrosians to cover his tracks, something which I have talked to him about and disagree with entirely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)