Lifestyle The Mental Wellness Thread

My mom's always been kind off a bully. I have two older sisters and she always pointed out their weight and their appearence and made fun of them for it. She did the same for me, I still feel rather self concious about my weight despite being rather thin and having rather much muscle mass. Whenever I had some stomach, she said I need to lose weight. Whenever I lose my stomach, she says I look anorexic

She also always told me I am ugly. Unprovoked mostly. I also don't know why. Since I became an adult, I actually heard quite often that I look good. I was offered a modeling job once even. She still says I am ugly

But she never does that in front of other people. She'll just say how nice our jobs are and how successful her children are. She loves doing that before relatives who's children are drug addicts or alcoholics or homeless or something like that

It's all unprovoked. I gained a lot of her traits sadly and was a bully most of my life, but even then, I didn't do or say things unprovoked. Only when I felt insecure and insignificant

She told me stories of how she beat up other kids when she was a school kid. Somewhat proudly even

Why? I don't get it. I really don't. She wasn't neglectful like my father or abusive otherwise. She always put a lot of energy and time into raising her children and always supported us financially and helps us with our households. But she also belittles and bullies us

Theia

Say hello to the robots
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
TW: Extremely minor mentions of self-harm and eating disorders

It's been well over a year since my last post in here and a lot has changed since then. I originally stopped posting because I found out some users had been taking my posts in here and making fun of them in their jerk, especially the one where I talk about my weight and binge eating. Those users will be excited to know that I received a new diagnosis for a restrictive eating disorder between then and now.

I'm not sure what exactly is compelling me to make this post. I guess it's that, as of late, it feels like people are forgetting I exist and that every time I reach out to someone, it feels like I'm bothering them, and I just wanted somewhere to unload all of this because I don't want to be a bother and I don't feel that I'm worth taking up the time of others, and here you have the option to just skip past it and ignore it.

To focus on my site-oriented stress for a moment: I stepped down from Super Moderator and PS Admin a while back because my mental and physical health were both declining a sharp amount, and while I think I might get in trouble for talking about exactly what the case was that pushed me over the edge, we'll just say it ended in a ban with no chance at an appeal ever. I felt immense guilt for resigning from these positions, since I took on a lot of the user-safety focused work and didn't like the idea that the burden of those kinds of cases could be pushed on to others, but with some encouraging, I took that step. It's been overall good for me, although I miss having my expanded access, especially the ACP and custom avatar manager, a lot.

I am still a mod in three places, with TD being the most notable of the three. A funny thing I realized is that I'm something like the third woman in at least recent (recent being back to Bloo) history to be promoted to TD, which ties into some of the stress I feel around TDing. I'm a woman, I'm LGBT+, and I don't actually play a lot of Pokemon (I am a hosting main through and through despite my small forays into individual tournaments), and for these reasons, I feel like I'm not taken as seriously as other Tournament Directors. I will be hosting the upcoming SPL coming straight off of the ongoing SCL and it's making me very nervous since SPL is Kind Of A Big Deal. I'm extremely worried about fucking it up (although, as get backer put it, I will fuck up because I consider getting yelled at to be fucking up) and any modicum of respect the community had for me as a host if not as a person will be gone with it. This place was supposed to be something I was good at, but I'm not even sure of that anymore.

As far as irl goes, well, like I mentioned, my physical health isn't great and my mental health is worse. I'm extremely isolated and have little to no social interaction with other people. I've lost count of how long it's been since I hurt myself, three months maybe? I just can't seem to bring myself to do it anymore. It doesn't seem worth the effort, but neither does anything else these days really. I'm nearing graduation so I have about 40 years of work, if anyone even wants me, but looking that far ahead into the future seems bleak, like the weight of everything coming down at once.

All in all, life feels pointless and I feel alone. I'm a burden to those around me. I don't want to die, I simply don't want to exist anymore.

Sorry for writing.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
TW: Extremely minor mentions of self-harm and eating disorders
Hi Theia, I wanted to respond to your post since I went through a lot of similar things a few years back and wanted to give input on what's helped for me and some other things to hopefully see if it works for you too.
I am still a mod in three places, with TD being the most notable of the three. A funny thing I realized is that I'm something like the third woman in at least recent (recent being back to Bloo) history to be promoted to TD, which ties into some of the stress I feel around TDing. I'm a woman, I'm LGBT+, and I don't actually play a lot of Pokemon (I am a hosting main through and through despite my small forays into individual tournaments), and for these reasons, I feel like I'm not taken as seriously as other Tournament Directors. I will be hosting the upcoming SPL coming straight off of the ongoing SCL and it's making me very nervous since SPL is Kind Of A Big Deal. I'm extremely worried about fucking it up (although, as get backer put it, I will fuck up because I consider getting yelled at to be fucking up) and any modicum of respect the community had for me as a host if not as a person will be gone with it. This place was supposed to be something I was good at, but I'm not even sure of that anymore.
I really think that you should focus on yourself instead of this website and what the people here think about you. Whatever that looks like for you, only you know, but for the most part this website does not mean anything of substantial value in regards to real life. With that being said, part of focusing on yourself is not caring about other peoples' opinions of you and focusing on your own opinion of yourself. Generally speaking in the world there's always gonna be people that don't like you or are biased against you. I searched up celebrities recently out of curiosity and there were a lot of conflicting opinions on even the celebrities who were regarded as the nicest. For example for Will Ferrel, I saw many comments go "Yeah he was great when I interacted with him and genuinely a funny and kind person!", but also a lot of other people saying "This guy is a total dipshit, he acted extremely rude towards me and I'm never watching one of his movies again". Whether or not Will Ferrel is actually a good or bad person isn't the point here, but rather how there will always be people who like you and people who don't. I don't know you personally but you seem like a genuinely good natured person who likes giving back to the community so I feel like you should give yourself more credit in those areas!
I will be hosting the upcoming SPL coming straight off of the ongoing SCL and it's making me very nervous since SPL is Kind Of A Big Deal. I'm extremely worried about fucking it up (although, as get backer put it, I will fuck up because I consider getting yelled at to be fucking up) and any modicum of respect the community had for me as a host if not as a person will be gone with it. This place was supposed to be something I was good at, but I'm not even sure of that anymore.
Being a tournament director on Smogon is such a tedious job and there's a reason that it is notorious for having a high turnover compared to other positions. People in the Smogon tournaments community will get mad at you for anything and everything, ranging from something that you said to a decision that was made by the entire tournament director team. However, getting yelled at does not mean you are bad at your job and from my experience at hosting tournaments on this website it's easy to get harsh criticism even when you have done nothing wrong. Also being bad at playing Pokemon does not mean being bad at leadership and policy-- those two variables are not necessarily mutually exclusive. You could be amazing at playing Pokemon but be an awful policy maker, or be an amazing policy maker but simply not have the time or energy to put into mastering this game that is so reliant on matchup coin flips and RNG dice rolls. With this being said, the bottom line is that you should take the stuff people say about you with a grain of salt. It's okay if you fuck up here and there, because doing anything takes time to master and I personally applaud you for your work as a tournament director and host because it does take a lot of mental willpower. Remember that at the end of the day, no matter what happens you are still you and the fact that you put in effort to improve your policy making in the tournaments section makes you automatically better than the people who have never even tried but criticize you with empty statements regardless.
As far as irl goes, well, like I mentioned, my physical health isn't great and my mental health is worse. I'm extremely isolated and have little to no social interaction with other people. I've lost count of how long it's been since I hurt myself, three months maybe? I just can't seem to bring myself to do it anymore. It doesn't seem worth the effort, but neither does anything else these days really. I'm nearing graduation so I have about 40 years of work, if anyone even wants me, but looking that far ahead into the future seems bleak, like the weight of everything coming down at once.
As someone who initially downplayed the importance of mental health in my earlier years, I firmly believe that it is as important as physical health now. I know I've said this a few times already, but it sounds like you should really prioritize your own well being right now over anything else, including Smogon.

I went through something similar a few years back when I was still Monotype tier leader, and even though I contributed a lot to the tier and helped newer players learn the format I was going through a really tough time mental health wise. I ended up staying in the position for a period of time and despite doing more for the section I cared so much about on this website, looking back I definitely should have stepped down sooner. I kept on making excuses to myself in that I felt I could balance my responsibilities on the website while managing my mental health, but it eventually forced me to quit completely after being in denial for a period of time. Consequently, my real life situation negatively impacted the way I handled policy and played my games and my crumbling mental health meant that I didn't do as much as I hoped while still in leadership. It's not to say that you should step down from hosting Smogon Premier League or contributing to the website, but be realistic with yourself with how much you can handle as a person when you're currently going through a very tough phase in your life. Other examples include taking a semester off from school or some time off work to concentrate on other aspects of life.

The things and people you love will be there no matter what and you can always come back to them once your mental health gets better. People who get diagnosed with illness like cancer or have a family emergency come up need to take some time from other aspects of their life in order to focus on what's truly important, whether it be their physical health or their family situation. Much like someone who goes through chemotherapy can't play sports or clock into work because they may literally die, the same can be said for bad mental health as bad mental health also kills people the same way. Try to focus on what's truly important to you right now, and judging from your post that thing is you and your mental health- and having an eating disorder is especially extremely alarming. Only you know what you need to do in order to take care of yourself, but please be honest with yourself. If Smogon does not make you feel appreciated anymore, then so be it. It's okay to not have the energy to deal with people being disrespectful to you. You should never unwillingly put up with a place that makes you feel hurt, instead go to safe places where you feel loved so you can heal. It's in your hands, but I'd strongly recommend therapy and other forms of treatment as it makes dealing with mental health a lot easier. Eating disorders are extremely dangerous and I cannot emphasize how crucial it is to get help-- eating disorders have one of the highest rates of mortality out of all mental illnesses. This is something you truly will not be able to heal from on your own, and you will need a professional to guide you through the process.

All in all, life feels pointless and I feel alone. I'm a burden to those around me. I don't want to die, I simply don't want to exist anymore.
Something that's helped a lot for me and which I feel is generally good is to take things one day at a time. Life gets hard, and sometimes you have to just focus on doing the best you can in the present without thinking about the future- and then things will get better. Focus on loving yourself in the present moment and doing what you can to prioritize your well-being. You don't have to look 40 years into the future, you don't even have to look as far as tomorrow. Also remember that you are special, even if you don't feel like it in the moment.

You will find happiness and it always gets better. Take things step by step and you will see results even if it is slowly at first. I hope my advice did not come off as unsolicited or in the wrong way, but you got this and don't give up!

ZippyDoo200

Banned deucer.
I used to try really hard to better my mental condition, but nothing except actual medication like prozac helped.

I honestly think, as people, we're gonna end up where we were always meant to end up. There is no sense is "trying hard" especially over and over again in cycles of failures. Because the people who actually are meant to succeed are the ones who try hard once or twice and get the result and go from there.

So I don't do anything to better my mental well being. If anything I do things to make it worse, such as extreme dieting. But putting immense stress on yourself has it's own pleasure in a way.

Basically everyone has a fate. That fate is determined when you're born. It is like all the stories where no matter how hard you try to fight fate, you're always walking along it's path.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Multiplayer gaming sucks. Having too many friends also sucks. These sound like things that would be great to have, but you’d be wrong. Maybe this is just a me thing, but I find that the more opportunities I have to try and do things with other people, the harder it is to try and balance my time and efforts to keep everyone else satisfied. The Indigo Disk DLC came out for Pokémon Scarlet & Violet last night, but what could have been somewhat enjoyable was ruined by multiple people at once wanting to play with me when I A. couldn’t play with all of them at once to begin with, and B. was hoping to just enjoy some solo exploration of the new areas, among other things.

I have a pretty big problem with wanting to try and make other people happy 24/7, and as you might expect, doing so isn’t exactly good for one’s own mental wellness. As I was trying to fall asleep last night, I started remembering the times when I used to not think this way. What changed since then were my excessive fears of the future and other people’s opinions and decisions that I don’t have control over. I’ve seen what can happen when people try and stand up for their own beliefs and opinions in person. It’s… not pretty. For now I think I’ll just stick to whatever choices can get me back on a better, healthier path.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
I used to try really hard to better my mental condition, but nothing except actual medication like prozac helped.

I honestly think, as people, we're gonna end up where we were always meant to end up. There is no sense is "trying hard" especially over and over again in cycles of failures. Because the people who actually are meant to succeed are the ones who try hard once or twice and get the result and go from there.

So I don't do anything to better my mental well being. If anything I do things to make it worse, such as extreme dieting. But putting immense stress on yourself has it's own pleasure in a way.

Basically everyone has a fate. That fate is determined when you're born. It is like all the stories where no matter how hard you try to fight fate, you're always walking along it's path.
I personally think that there's always going to be bad things that happen to us individuals and they can very well impact our mental wellbeing, but its always good to see what we can do to better our situation. I used to sympathize with your view of fate and how we're predetermined to grow a certain way and have thought about the topic a lot throughout the past few years, but recently I have been looking into two people who had similar problems but ended up growing different ways.

If you're familiar with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Iron Man is portrayed by Robert Downey Jr., who has since gained a lot of recognition and fame for the role. Despite not portraying the superhero anymore he has starred in a lot of other films, with the most recent Oppenheimer being the prime example, and has been married to his wife Susan for 19 years- which is especially impressive since being able to maintain a relationship with the fame of Hollywood is not a a feat a lot of celebrities have accomplished. It's important to note that before his fame, he was struggling with addiction and was jailed a few times due to his drug usage. There's an entire section on Wikipedia about the period of time in his life when he would constantly get into troubles with the authorities because of his addiction. It's safe to say he did not only try a few times regarding his addiction and breaking it considering he was repeatedly jailed for 5 years and cost him a lot of his fame, but he eventually pushed past it and became a very successful actor.

This feat is especially impressive considering the psychology of addiction. A lot of addicts are people who want to escape their reality because the high of whatever they're addicted to is a lot better than facing their real life. People who are addicts forego their responsibilities in order to abuse the substance they're addicted to, leading to failed relationships, decreased productivity at work, and overall being absent from the reality of their life- with most of their time being centered on the addiction, or thinking about the substance they are addicted to. To get rid of the addiction is especially hard for a lot of people, because the addiction has absorbed a lot of the color from their world, leaving the outside world grey or boring. I'm currently overcoming a video game addiction, and these mindsets has played into a lot of dealing with the addiction in itself. I'd try to stay off of Pokemon Showdown, but I'd eventually find myself back where I started by running away from my problems in real life just because the instant hit of dopamine was so much better than whatever I had out there. I've recognized my problems and am going through therapy for it, but the point still stands. Robert Downey Jr. going from being completely addicted to drugs and incarcerated to sober and famous with a family after marrying the love of his life.

Robert Downey Jr. eventually overcame his addiction through working hard at rehabilitation in 2001. He eventually made his return to the big screen through smaller acting roles. The crucial thing to note here is that he completely committed to rehabilitation, fully knowing what he wanted- to live life again as an actor in Hollywood. This quote by him resonates within me a lot: "[Robert Downey Jr.] added that after his last arrest in April 2001, when he knew he would likely be facing another stint in prison or another form of incarceration such as court-ordered rehab, "I said, 'You know what? I don't think I can continue doing this.' And I reached out for help, and I ran with it. You can reach out for help in kind of a half-assed way and you'll get it and you won't take advantage of it. It's not that difficult to overcome these seemingly ghastly problems ... what's hard is to decide to do it." If he hadn't fully committed to getting better and kept trying to overcome it, he would probably still be addicted to drugs today, or may not even be alive due to how drugs can quickly downspiral someone's physical condition. It probably took him around 50-100 tries between constantly getting arrested, failing in rehabilitation and relapsing before he was able to pick himself up, and that's okay.

I used to have the same mindset as someone who was in a much worse mental state than I am today due to having a lot of trauma, but cases like RDJ's gave me hope on improving mental health wise, especially since I also struggle with addiction to cope with the trauma. But now, I personally think that no matter how things get, it's important to try. Things always get better. Even if it sometimes may take years and years since everyone has different things that they're struggling with and has different things that work for them individually, the bottom line is that recovery and getting better is not typically linear. There may be some people who overcome their mental health struggles within one or two tries, but those are exceptions to the rule. The reality is that no one really has their shit figured out, and people who seem to have things together are also struggling with problems internally whether they know it or not. People just present their best self, and that's why social media is so deceptive.
Personally I feel like a person's fate is just whatever that becomes of them in the end of their life. There's not really much else to it, since people can always try your best to solve your problems and live a fulfilling life. However, something you may want to look into is self fulfilling prophecies, which "mimic"s fate when a person believes a specific thing, and they come true as a result of it. I've dealt with this in my personal experience; for example when I was younger I told myself that people always thought I was weird so there was no point in ever making friends. As a result I unintentionally caused myself to have no friends by not going out and meeting new people and instead stayed home and played video games. It ties directly into your attitude regarding your certain situation, if someone believes that they can't do something, then they won't. With mental health put aside, it's almost impossible to get good at something by trying it only once or twice and that goes for pretty much anything in life. An object that is moving will continue moving unless affected by a force, so unless we try to change our situation and improve, then we will always fall into the unfortunate fate that we create for ourselves.

So basically I feel like change depends heavily on what you tell yourself regardless of your current situation. People who get better start by first believing that they can improve to begin with. It's completely valid if you're struggling a lot and have tried different options to improve your own mental state, but please don't give up. There's a wonderful and happy person that is waiting to be uncovered sooner or later when you separate the pain from yourself. Even when things get seemingly hopeless, remember to believe in yourself and take things one day at a time. Don't let your problems win and never, ever, give up on fighting for the life you deserve to live to the fullest.
I have a pretty big problem with wanting to try and make other people happy 24/7, and as you might expect, doing so isn’t exactly good for one’s own mental wellness. As I was trying to fall asleep last night, I started remembering the times when I used to not think this way. What changed since then were my excessive fears of the future and other people’s opinions and decisions that I don’t have control over. I’ve seen what can happen when people try and stand up for their own beliefs and opinions in person. It’s… not pretty. For now I think I’ll just stick to whatever choices can get me back on a better, healthier path.
This is a huge problem among people who have trauma and neurodivergent people. Being neurodivergent in a society that celebrates neurotypical people commonly causes rejection sensitivity dysphoria, leading to a lot of people pleasing and a weak identity. I'm not sure if your case is specifically caused by being neurodivergent since I remember that you're on the spectrum, but it could be a factor that you could personally explore. Doing what's best for yourself definitely helps, and that leads to not caring as much what other people do since no matter what, you're still your own person. With that being said, good luck!

i work a job that the "people over us like to put off on us" in

i was doing some work last night and checked my phone quick for the time and a "boss (saying lightly)" was like "oh phone during that?"
and i even looked at her like "Really?!" and said to her "Funny you worried bout "safety now" yet when the nonsense yall had us doing earlier everyone turned a blind eye cute -- btw who you talking too tell em I said hi.
Also get my Moms number since I wont ask her to come in again for you"

I'm incredibly staunch on the "If I don't bother anyone leave me the fuck alone" stance --- she just stood there like "awww uhhh"

yeah next time think, Eff you. Yall got a system with our numbers in it, look up my Moms - I aint helping you anymore you bum ass.

i won't deal with your disrespect, respect isn't an option with me.

December's always been my least favourite month. I've never celebrated really celebrated Christmas because it's always been a rather bad time of year for me. Especially with work and just everything I do, I've really started to feel useless. That everything I do doesn't amount to anything. Not necessarily that what I do isn't good enough (though sometimes it isn't), but rather that what I do ultimately won't result in anything. My brain has felt as if its deteriorating, my memory is horrendous, I feel that I can't do/remember things like what I used to do, and it's gotten to the point where the amount of stress from everything is preventing me from getting any good sleep, and I don't even remember when I actually DO get sleep, I can't really describe it but it's draining.

I'm writing this post 9 minutes before I have to go to work, and I'm ready to once again not do a good enough job.

Just feels like what's the point in this anymore?

recently been in a very good space and finding my way back to myself.
letting life i wanna live show me the energy and been oddly.... "happy" which is def new to me..... i'm not upset anymore so maybe i finally am.... HAPPY to be me.

this is new to me... but i love it. killed (old me-) myself to get here, i deserve it.

Last edited:
I watched some vids about how some people that had unrestricted internet access as kids were deeply traumatized by that. Like I watched some vid about how the more fucked up stuff from MLP fans during the early 2010s made kids hypersexual and gave them trauma that has to be dealt with in therapy. Legit never knew of that, I just used the internet during my earlier childhood for Lego content and when that gross stuff appeared, I was already in twen to early teen years and largely avoided all that

Really sad honestly. I am glad I wasn't exposed to that. I wonder if that will be more common with future generations

There's some pretty fucked up shit I was exposed to as a kid on the internet that I really wish I hadn't, but a lot of it wasn't shit that I found on weird backwater sites or got sent by trolls or whatever. I still remember when I was doing research for a report on the Vietnam war and I stumbled onto an image of a bunch of Agent Orange-deformed fetuses floating in a barrel of water that still churns my stomach when I think about it 17 years later.

Most of the shock content I've seen doesn't bother me. Gore, goatse, shock porn, whatever. Most of it's fake, and the only reason any of it exists is to get a reaction out of random people on the internet. The shit that really gets to me is the the stuff that exists beyond just for shock value, and there's a lot of it out there.

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
1000 ways to die used kill my stomach as a kid. I remember there was this one about a drowning that me throw up and start crying as a 10-11 year old I think.

1000 ways to die used kill my stomach as a kid. I remember there was this one about a drowning that me throw up and start crying as a 10-11 year old I think.
i had a friend who does dark rap who knew i was a poet ask me to watch that and do a poem for an album insert.
(wonderful guy just loved horror and rap music, i was too depressed then, but he did produce a beat he lobbed me once to try and convince me to take poetry -> raps [love the music, but my mom an artist, always felt "Writer" was my expression, not "Musician"])
i was depressed at the time then and told him "i appreciate the offer but i think that's the last thing i need to see rn." - I do feel bad cus he was so good to me but he understood, thankfully.

People say that parents need to monitor their children's internet activity but that can be difficult. If they were to look at the history of their watched videos and saw thumbnails of some of these disturbing videos, they would see rather harmless content and I don't think it can be expected that these parents watch everything their children watched. There's also a language barrier, my parents don't speak english and my internet activity since 12 is 95% in english, so they couldn't even understand what I look up

Denying children inetrnet access would also not work as it's mandatory for school activity at this point. Like I went to school from the mid 2000s to the mid 2010s, and I was assigned several times to do internet research. That is probably more prevalent today

Tech companies should do more to protect kids from such content. I wasn't very disturbed by it personally but I never saw disturbing content on the net until I was 12-13, I already had comprehensive sex ed by that time and was able to distingush beween the internet and real life. When I look at reports from people who saw fucked up fetish content as young kids and how it messed them up, that just makes it very clear that something should be done against this

Tech companies should do more to protect kids from such content. I wasn't very disturbed by it personally but I never saw disturbing content on the net until I was 12-13, I already had comprehensive sex ed by that time and was able to distingush beween the internet and real life. When I look at reports from people who saw fucked up fetish content as young kids and how it messed them up, that just makes it very clear that something should be done against this
Why would they ever do that? Tech companies have demonstrated time and again that they would rather profit off of fucking up kids' minds and fight efforts to regulate their behaviour. Anything less than leaking company memos to the press before the company can pull together a PR response just means a shitload of resources being spent throwing anyone who would do anything about it out of office. These people literally steer kids towards content that is specifically designed to invoke feelings of depression and self-loathing because the surveillance algorithms being fed their psychometric data knows it'll receive more engagement, causing eating disorders, trauma, and suicides for children.

We're well past a demand for regulation, Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk should be in jail for the rest of their lives

Last edited:
Why would they ever do that? Tech companies have demonstrated time and again that they would rather profit off of fucking up kids' minds and fight efforts to regulate their behaviour. Anything less than leaking company memos to the press before the company can pull together a PR response just means a shitload of resources being spent throwing anyone who would do anything about it out of office. These people literally steer kids towards content that is specifically designed to invoke feelings of depression and self-loathing because the surveillance algorithms being fed their psychometric data knows it'll receive more engagement, causing eating disorders, trauma, and suicides for children.

We're well past a demand for regulation, Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk should be in jail for the rest of their lives
I mean, yeah, that's true 100%

I used reddit as a teen (dumbest thing I ever) did and considering how this website categorically refused to go against incel subs until the mainstream media had reported on it, you can imagine what seeing and interacting with this pool of people did to my 15-16 year old brain. I was never posting about Stacys and chads and I never fully understood the lingo, but a lot of this black pill mentality rotted my brain and fed my insecurities more than anything else ever did

The amount of Gore, animal cruelty, just deplorable fetish shit on there that just sat there, it's just wild how a huge tech company was harboring all of this. I used 4chan too from like 12 onwards and I legitimately believe that 4chan is several times tamer at it's worst than reddit was at it's average from the early to mid 2010s

I only heard after I left the site how reddit also harbored borderline child pornography and how the people that allowed all that are still in positions of power

Idk, it would be great if these people were sent to jail and there was a legitimate effort to not fuck up people, both kids and adults, with media, but I guess that would be a little utopian

I mean, yeah, that's true 100%

I used reddit as a teen (dumbest thing I ever) did and considering how this website categorically refused to go against incel subs until the mainstream media had reported on it, you can imagine what seeing and interacting with this pool of people did to my 15-16 year old brain. I was never posting about Stacys and chads and I never fully understood the lingo, but a lot of this black pill mentality rotted my brain and fed my insecurities more than anything else ever did

The amount of Gore, animal cruelty, just deplorable fetish shit on there that just sat there, it's just wild how a huge tech company was harboring all of this. I used 4chan too from like 12 onwards and I legitimately believe that 4chan is several times tamer at it's worst than reddit was at it's average from the early to mid 2010s

I only heard after I left the site how reddit also harbored borderline child pornography and how the people that allowed all that are still in positions of power

Idk, it would be great if these people were sent to jail and there was a legitimate effort to not fuck up people, both kids and adults, with media, but I guess that would be a little utopian

100%, I think you're touching on the other part of how they fuck up kids' brains and that's through directing children to radicalising propaganda. 4chan isn't really owned by a major tech company, but imo there's something to be said about how ISPs haven't blocked it on their own accord considering that for years now it's just been a hub for aspiring mass shooters and child molesters.

mushamu

God jihyo
A huge milestone has happened for me as I recently got diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and am getting treated for it. It's been quite a journey so far especially since from a very young age, I didn't really know what was "wrong" with me emotionally and my best guess is that the trauma I went through eventually took advantage of my originally high neuroticism and developed it into BPD. Borderline personality is a cluster B disorder that is primarily characterized by emotional instability in which a person behaves impulsively and has a hard time managing their emotions, with a lack of a consistent identity that is as a result always changing being one of the hallmark traits of the disorder. More information can be found here regarding BPD and I've been doing a lot of research on topics regarding trauma and mental illness to become more familiar with the effects on the topics especially when it's been a theme for a majority of my life.

I kind of just wanted to talk about it a bit here since I view this thread to be a safe space and to list out some things that has helped me personally manage and work on mental illness. Oftentimes when dealing with BPD I feel like there are 2 versions of me where there's one part of me that wants to get better, continue on with life and stop self medicating for it and there's another part of me that wants to be miserable forever and commit suicide alongside all the bad things BPD and c-PTSD comes with like being unable to form good relationships consistently and self isolation. It feels like I'm constantly alternating between the two actually separate different people that want different things. Yesterday when I was at work I was having a hard time and I was having suicidal thoughts the entire shift until after I got off and was basically like "Why did I think that?". It was scary because it genuinely felt extremely real and that I was actually going to go through with it that night, so I had planned to go to visit my dad and talk it out as he's someone I trust. There's something nice about having one of the people who brought me into the world tell me that he's proud of me, something I can't rely on my mom to do since she's emotionally abusive most of the time and very hot and cold.

Basically if anything my BPD is caused by the trauma that she inflicted on me when I was little and I feel like she definitely has BPD herself. There's a lot to unpack in therapy, but she would threaten to commit suicide, threaten to leave my brother in the desert to die, tell my brother and I that we were worthless, start fights with me over the dishes not being done as I had undiagnosed ADHD, and made us seem like we were the reason why she was so miserable with her life- even going so far as to calling us names like "monster" and body shaming us. We would have to hide the medication and knives and sometimes I would physically restrain her from leaving the house in fear that she would drive somewhere and take her own life. I remember one time I got nervous during a piano recital when I was about 9 (I was overall a very shy person) and when I didn't end up playing she took me home, yelled at me for 2 hours and smashed my Nintendo DSIXL. There are other instances that I've forgotten but the bottom line is that she would emotionally guilt trip and abuse my brother and I. Originally I thought this behavior was normal from parenting and that I was the problem and a really bad kid, but looking back it was pretty normal behavior from me as I was just growing up and she should have essentially gotten her shit together before having a baby. I also had issues with undiagnosed ADHD up until when I was 17, and with traditional Chinese culture being essentially a glorified grindset falling behind due to not being able to concentrate was also a huge part of the baggage especially when my values are completely opposite of the values that my parents have. This left me with no solid identity when I turned 18: I remember clearly I didn't feel human and just felt like an animal or someone's creation that was waiting to be put down as it shouldn't have been brought into the world due to being extremely ill and disregulated. My daily life was composed to means of instant gratification to subconsciously self-medicate the emotional pain I was going through and the dopamine helped fuel my ADHD as well. I have strict boundaries against her now, with our interactions being more limited to cordial talks in family gatherings and over text, but I hope my dad and my mom are happy nonetheless. Even though she hurt me immensely in my childhood years, I still wish her and my dad none other than the best as it was their first time living life too. It helps to realize that my mom's side of the family suffers heavily from intergenerational trauma and she simply just passed it down to me and we have a lot of the same personality traits- both good and bad. It makes me more motivated to break the cycle so that my own children will be able to grow up in a healthy household.

This was when I was heavily involved in Smogon, and that alongside Pokemon Showdown are the main two ways I use to numb my emotions and I developed an addiction. I wouldn't play because I liked the game, I played because I wanted to win, and feel accomplished at something in life. It was funny because the times I played out of love for the game I would be extremely consistent compared to otherwise when I would have anxiety attacks and throw tournament sets.

Eventually I was forced to grow after turning 18 and got a fast food job at a nearby mall when the pandemic died down. This taught me a lot about the real world dynamics, as being isolated and depressed for the first 18 years of my life led me to be emotionally stunted about how the world is, and I had the pleasure of making friends at work and interacting with customers who enjoyed my service. I also did other things like went through my first friend breakup, getting into clubs, and entering my first relationship in which I'm still in (our 16 months is today!). From the ages of 18-19 I grew a lot and now at least I'm a functioning member of society that holds down a job (boba barista) and has friends. I'm still dealing with BPD and it sucks balls, but it's a work in progress. Some days I'm still suicidal, but other days things are nice and happy and I feel like a real person that's living life. Sometimes I feel worthless and want to jump off a bridge after being triggered but I try to remember that this will pass and since you've felt genuinely happy before, then you can do it again. I'm still working on the Pokemon Showdown and Smogon addiction and there's a lot of personal growth I hope to achieve other than that as well. I still have a lot of mental health problems, mainly BPD as well as Rejection Sensitivity Dysphoria, Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, addiction, and many others that I probably forgot, but I have to keep fighting even when I feel weak for a life that I deserve to live to the fullest.

Here are some mindsets that I'd like to share in this thread that have personally helped me manage my mental illnesses and will hopefully help you if you're going through something similar. This is what has personally helped me in the past and not professional advice- therefore it could be wrong. Therapy is recommended no matter what if you are going through a hard time.

:psycry:
- Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
Things always get better, even if it feels like everything sucks. Keep being strong and fighting for yourself while doing things that give you intrinsic value. Everything will be worth it and you will be having a great time in this world one day. Suicide doesn't get rid of the pain, it spreads it around you towards the people that love you and robs you of a life that you deserved to live. It's important to reach out for support and call for help.

:heart::pirate:
- Separate your mental health issues from yourself
This is something that I learned in therapy which is extremely useful for regaining back your identity even with mental health issues. Even though you may have mental health issues that you are dealing with, remember that the mental health issues do not define you. You are you, the bad and the good. As easy as it is to say that the depression someone are going through might define them as a person, it's also easy to say that your friend can be defined by the fact that he likes eating bananas (they are a great source of potassium!). Something that has helped for me personally is separating myself from my issues. In my head there is a person that represents the part of me that I'm not proud of and is mentally ill. He's a gamer that does not go outside because he's afraid of taking risks and spends all day eating. When someone asks him to do something, he complains and tells himself that he does not need friends or family to talk to and is suicidal. And then there's the other person that represents me if I were to live a fulfilling life based on my values. I'm outside a lot and focusing on my girlfriend and loved ones, making risks and enjoying my job. I'm constantly cracking jokes with people I meet online and in person and having a good time. When he receives criticism after messing up, its whatever because it happens to the best of people! Both of them are me, but it helps me realize that the happy version of me isn't less mushamu than the sad version is. I just have to make the happy version stronger and the sad version weaker. The sad version won't ever be gone, but sooner or later happy mushamu will overtake sad mushamu and things will be better.

:afrostar:
- Do things that make you happy.
Everyone has different definitions of happiness, for example some people enjoy being famous and preforming music while other people like to sit at home and spend time with loved ones. Don't let anyone's definition of happiness influence your own as you will be miserable.

:machamp:
- Exercise is good.
Exercise and working out is great for better mental health since it chemically gives your brain the "feel good" hormones, otherwise known as dopamine, and getting dopamine from means other than instant gratification is good at training the brain that temporary uncomfortableness will pass. Mental health and physical health have very close ties, and feeling good physically can oftentimes lead to feeling good mentally. There's also the epic side effect of being hot that you get for free for working out (!) and that's a pretty nice self confidence booster.

:toast::toast::toast:
- Connect to good people.
Having a good support system is a must for improving mental health. Make good friends and connect with supportive family members. Remember that some people you won't vibe with, and that's okay- it's possible to just be incompatible as friends since we're all different. Yesterday I was trying to make small talk with my manager since it was just us two working in the store and getting kind of boring, but things were really awkward and I gave up. I'm sure she has friends she vibes with, and I have friends I vibe with too- we just don't get along and that's okay.

:swole:
- Remember that you are strong and that growth is growth.
Find your personal strength wherever it lies in you. Gaining self confidence is key for identity, and overcoming adversity is a major part in doing so. Growth is neither good or bad, it's important to follow your own path in life and even if you may sometimes fail horrendously, everyone does it here and there and remember to keep walking. Life is weird because there isn't a reason why any of us are here but none of us are a mistake either- it's like a gift of being able to be sentient and feel fulfilled. It's up to us to determine what should be that fulfillment- it's like Pokemon Scarlet and Violet's treasure hunt if you've played those games. Similarly, don't compare yourself to other people who seem to be happier and more fulfilled especially on social media as they have problems too that they are struggling with. It's really easy to state "If I had x then I would be happy", but in reality we all want what we can't have.

:swanna:
- Give yourself grace
Sometimes we have shitty days or even weeks but it's important to be kind to yourself the same way you would treat a family member or friend because you are another person that is deserving of love too. We humans are meant to connect and support each other and that goes for connecting with yourself as well. Treat yourself nicely and with care, and do things for yourself the same way you would do for anyone else. Back when I was single and dealing with mental health issues I would take myself out as if I was my own significant other and just did things I personally enjoyed.

:mew:
- Be honest with yourself
This is something I struggle a lot with addiction. With addiction it's easy to escape from your problems and that's what I've been doing for years, but in the end I have to be honest with myself and that's why I haven't been signing up for tournaments on Smogon for the past few months- I needed to take a step back and focus on what's important. The easy decision isn't always the right one, and especially if you've gone through a lot of trauma your body and mind will react to things that are healthy. For example, some people who have gone through relational trauma such as bullying struggle to make friends and have intense social anxiety. It's also important to be real with yourself regarding what you can handle and what you can't and doing things that benefit you. Setting boundaries is a textbook example of this, especially for those who have low self esteem.

My view on mental illness and mental wellness has changed a lot over the past few years especially when dealing with it firsthand. I personally view mental health as just as important as physical health even if it may not seem like it firsthand. Even though the effects are not as direct as they are over the mind rather than the physical body, they have the same impact on a person's wellbeing and quality of life. An example from my experience with it is that with borderline personality disorder and trauma, it felt like my mind was decaying more with the more time I left it unchecked as it became harder to break out of bad habits, cognitive distortions, and maladaptive thinking patterns. Other mental illnesses can be more severe too. I decided to make this post today because I was sitting around and wanted to share my personal experience on mental illness and some advice due to my observations regarding recovery and taking care of yourself to other people in this community. I also wanted to make a pledge to myself by writing it out somewhere that I felt was important to me that I will keep fighting my trauma and mental illness by working on myself and growing no matter how long it takes and to never, ever, let suicide take me away from this world.

To anyone else who is dealing with mental health issues, remember that you are amazing and loved.

Last edited:
TW: Mention of hospitalization

Late May, I severely hurt someone close to me. Honestly, it wasn't just them, it was a decently large group on Discord. But he's the main one I care about. Sometime mid-June I checked myself into a mental hospital (for this among a lot of other things. like a lot) and got released roughly a month after. It's been about half a year since my release, which is hard to believe at least for me, but I'm going off-topic here. I haven't really spoken to anyone in that community other than someone who (for a period of time) reached out every week or so for shits and gigs.

It's been eating at me since my release to talk to the people I spoke with in this community more often. I know full well I shouldn't have forgiveness and in no way am I expecting it but idk. Literally I'm in this dude's Discord DMs rn, we share a mutual server and he didn't block me fsr. gonna just say "hey" and go to work, see what he say on my break, another message, come home, then I'll really go and face the music (if he's still there). I don't have the balls to type awhole essay and await a response tentatively so I'm just gonna start with small steps and make them bigger. Like exponential growth.

done rambling (for now)

It's been almost 10 years and during all that time you managed to drive away EVERY SINGLE PERSON in your life, and even then you don't feel an ounce of remorse, you just don't give a shit, all you wanna do is bait everyone emotionally just for some cheap attention, you never once stopped and thought about how the other person might feel hearing the delusional shit that you keep vomiting from your disgusting mouth, you never actually wanted to develop any friendship with anyone, even when you had multiple chances to do so, all you wanted was to piss everyone off for some cheap ass comedy.
10 years, and you managed to get cut from not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, BUT SIX different groups of friends, the same way.
You are unable to process the situation and actually learn from it, you just CANNOT let it go either, these people don't even remember ANYTHING about you, and here you are, thinking about every one of them, wishing them the worst.
You will never change, you can't change, you will fucking evaporate from all this anger and envy that you feel from everyone and everything, you can't be happy, you can't trust anyone, you can't be better.

Why do you exist

Every single fucking day has been the same exact thing, I wake up and do nothing productive for the rest of the day, and then go to bed so I can wake up on the next day and repeat the same exact thing.
It's all the same, it never ends, I am stuck on the same day for the rest of my life, and no amount of motivation can help me get through this shit.
It's gotten to the point where i rather stay in my bed and just fantasize about impossible scenarios, fantasizing about my ideal life.
I just don't want to ever wake up again, nothing in this life will ever outdo any of my fantasies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)