Type Optimisation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another ability could be quite fun... Forewarn? Pressure? Competitive? Another good idea?
If you're trying to make it so both abilities are viable to give Cresselia options / make it easier to beat on certain abilities I'd give it an ability with the same Showdown! ranking.

List of abilities with the same rating as Serene Grace:
4:
Adaptability
Aerilate*
Contrary
Download*
Fluffy*
Galvanize*
Illusion
Misty Surge
Multiscale
Multitype (note: Hard coded to Arceus)
No Guard
Pixilate*
Refrigerate
Regenerator
Serene Grace
Shadow Shield
Sheer Force
Snow Warning
Stamina*
Tough Claws
Triage

Tiksi

You could always give it Levitate back as an alternate option. Not gamebreaking but always pretty useful to ignore Ground attacks/Spikes

Natural Cure/Regenerator works for support sets or if you use her to mainly sponge hits (obviously not as wanted if you like to use Calm Mind but it would be an alternate playstyle for her i guess). Alternatively, Shed Skin could be interesting if you don't want to switch out and lose Calm Mind boosts (frees up using Refresh but then again this ability is pretty niche). Rough Skin would be nice as a Fighting/physical hit check if you want her to be more physically defensive. Triage would also be interesting not only to heal herself, but be an emergency healer with Lunar Dance and for priority Draining Kiss.

BST: 90 HP /125 Atk (-5)/80 Def /75 SpA (+15)/80 SpD /120 (-10 Spe) =570 BST
Abilities:
Defiant/Limber/Tough Claws
New Moves: Bullet Punch/Meteor Mash/Drain Punch
Removed Moves: Giga Drain

I took off 5 atk and 10 Spe, which puts Zangoose more in line with the power level of this metagame. I also removed Guts - a complete immunity to burn and paralysis while also not being able to be poisoned is absurd for an offensive mon of this caliber. Tough Claws is still an excellent ability given that it boosts all of Zangoose's usable moves. While it is slower than a whole host of mons now (weavile greninja koko froslass primeape dedenne etc), its priority hits most of those mons for at least neutral damage. I now see Zangoose acting less as both a wallbreaker and a sweeper, and more of being forced to do one or the other.

hariyama.gif

Fighting Type
BST: 120 HP (-30) /130 Atk /100 Def /50 SpA (+30) /100 SpD /70 Spe =570 BST
Abilities:
Guts / Thick Fat / Unaware (HA)
New Moves: Drain Punch, Slack Off
Removed Moves: Mach Punch

I lowered it's absurd HP stat to have bulk more in line with OU standards, and removed its access to priority STAB - it's frankly overkill to have this kind of RK capabilities on a mon that bulky. Overall, it operates the same though, and I think that's OK. It's really good still and can act as a bulky pivot or whatever.

arcanine.gif

Fire
BST: 100 HP / 130 Atk / 80 Def / 79 SpA / 80 SpD / 101 Spe =570 BST
Abilities:
Fur Coat / Tough Claws / Justified (HA)
New Moves: Taunt, Blaze Kick
Removed Moves: Fire Lash, Swords Dance

I removed both of its cool new toys in Fire Lash and SD, but frankly this thing is great anyways. It has absurd coverage, strong priority, great bulk, and a cool Speed tier. Taunt is nice cause it can flex on steels that want rocks or spikes, and Blaze Kick, while a lot less powerful than both Flare Blitz and Fire Lash, offers a decent BP STAB that doesn't have drawbacks (besides missing :( )

cresselia.gif

Fairy
BST: 120 HP / 65 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpA / 105 SpD / 80 Spe =570 BST
Abilities:
Levitate / Shed Skin
New Moves: Defog, Refresh, Lava Plume
Removed Moves: Roost

Yeah this is really changed up. So I envision this Cress not as a straight up wall, but either a pivot with utility options or a set up stallbreaker. Lava Plume, it's dual stab, recovery and defog ( pick 4) all allow it to pivot in on moves it resists or is immune to and throw off an attack or get rid of hazards. Levitate helps by giving it another immunity while also avoiding Spikes and tspikes. With Shed Skin however, it can use rest, calm mind and dual STAB to fuck stall over - you can even use Substitute on the blobs to just rack up boosts. Is this more niche than the old Cress? Yeah, but it seems healthier and it's lower bulk gives a lot more counterplay.

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I didn't suggest any too powerful abilities bc remember that not having Lava Plume will make Serene Grace less absurdly good (and I was conservative to make sure I didn't rebreak it). I still think Competitive (Defog against this!) and Forewarn (lets you keep it safe as a wincon from lures and stuff) could be legitimate, but I like all of Shed Skin / Rough Skin / NCure / Triage (wow this actually boosts Lunar Dance!!! amazing!) / Levitate (particularly to avoid TSpikes) too. Regen might be a bit rough to handle though lol.
I wouldn't go by ability rankings here, though, since they are either way too powerful (Fluffy, Misty Surge, etc.) or unsuited (Adaptability, Snow Warning, etc.), besides Regen/Triage (covered above) and Multiscale/SShield (suited but possibly unfun with roost / massive bulk / no hazards weakness). Sheer Force could be hilarious but I'd rather leave that to a more dedicated offensive mon.

sorry for the absolutely excessive amount of parentheses

and wonder how common serene grace ice beam will be assuming we keep SG?

Fighting Hariyama
BST
: 150 / 120 / 80 / 60 / 95 / 65
Abilities: Thick Fat / Guts / Unaware (HA)
New Moves: Mach Punch, Slack Off, Drain Punch

I kind of like the idea of bulky FIghting types with Special Defense, so I left Hariyama's Special Defense a bit higher than defense, and lowered Atk, Def and Spd. In fact, it's Atk is back to regular Hariyama's Atk. It still has Bulk Up to recover its physical stats, but at least it has to spend turns to work for it.

Fire Arcanine
BST:
100 / 115 / 80 / 75 / 90 / 110 = 570 BST
Ability: Intimidate / Reckless / Justified (HA)
New Moves: Swords Dance, Taunt, Fire Lash

Yeah I think bringing back its original Intimidate should be good for Arcanine- it gets better, but not insane bulk, plus it supports the team. I still like Fire Lash on it as Flare Blitz's recoil can get annoying but at least the lack if Fur Coat means it's not as easy to just slap on Assault Vest + Fire Lash and call it a day. Just in case though, I lowered its Attack a little bit in case repeated Fire Lashes can be too annoying (and to balance its access to Swords Dance). I made it a bit faster just to compete with some of the faster Pokemon (by 5 points), but I think this shouldn't be too bad?

Fairy Cresselia
BST
: 120 / 60 / 120 / 90 / 100 / 80 (BST: 570)
Abilities: Triage, Shed Skin, Levitate
New Moves
: Roost, Refresh, Defog

I quite like the idea of a physically defensive Fairy, so I rearranged its stats a bit. 140 may be a bit much, so I gave it a more manageable 120 defense, with a lower 100 special defense to compensate. Since Cresselia wants to be a Calm Mind user, it can regain it's Sp Atk/Spd Def with those boosts. Going with the idea of higher Def, I gave it Stamina to boost it even further while you can focus on using Calm Mind. The continuous Def boosts might be too annoying, which is why I lowered it's Special Atk/Special Def to compensate. Scratch that, I think Shed Skin could be an interesting ability when using Calm Mind. It allows Cresselia to be a pseudo-status absorber and not have to worry about Toxic when CM boosting.

Otherwise, I gave back Levitate since additional immunities are always nice, plus with the new Defog, it can also support the team. Triage can be used with Moonlight/Lunar Dance, but isn't as overwhelming as giving it Prankster. I decided to just removing Serene Grace since even though Lava Plume is gone and Moonblast will now be walled by Steels, I still think this spread needs a weakness of needing turns to set up the Calm Mind boosts to gain Special bulk. Fairy has a lot of resistances anyway so it should find the time to set it up.

Normal/Steel Zangoose
BST:
80 Hp / 115 Atk / 60 Def / 90 SpA / 105 SpD /120 Spe =570 BST
Abilities:
Defiant/Technician/Tough Claws
New Moves: Bullet Punch/Magnet Bomb/Drain Punch
Removed Moves: Giga Drain, Meteor Mash

Okay, I reverted its Atk back to it's original iteration and lowered its speed. Now for the ability replacement- Guts had to go. It needs to be susceptible to burns to balance it.

But wait, Technician? Well for one, it doesn't have Scizor's level of Atk anymore so it shouldn't be as overwhelming- plus having Choice Band sets will mean, well..it's locked to one move, making it easier to counter. Plus, I just wanted to use Technician + Magnet Bomb combo ( I replaced Meteor Mash because the miss chance can be unreliable, plus this would have similar power without a sudden Atk boost that can prove overwhelming).

In addition to that, if Tech-boosted priority feels a bit strong, I adjusted its Defense so it will be back to its original frailty in terms of defense. I moved the extra stats to Special Defense, to give it more of a role as a Fairy check, but still weak to physical attacks and priority. I did dump the rest of its stats to Special Attack- maybe for a decent but not too powerful Technician Hidden Power (and it has a nice special movepool, but 90 SpA is decent but not too spectacular of a stat to invest in it).

Water/Bug Araquanid
Stats:
85 / 80 / 100 / 75 / 170 / 60 = 570
Abilities: Water Bubble / Drizzle / Magnet Pull (HA)
New Moves: U-turn, Heal Bell, Spikes

Araquanid was really bulky, and had access to Bulk Up to boost it's lower Defense (which was still quite high) but also boosted it's Atk for stronger Leech Lifes. Now this Araquanid's Atk is a more 'okay' 80 Atk, a bit higher than original Araquanid but is more on par with Marowak. Water attacks will still hurt with Water Bubble, but at least other attacks like Leech Life aren't as threatening, especially since it lacks attack boosting options again. HP and Def is lowered as well.

In return, I made it even more support-orientated to make use of its resistances. U-turn is for pivoting. Heal Bell is useful since it is immune to burns, so it will be easier to heal the whole team's status effects.

Magnet Pull is an alternate option to Water Bubble- while it loses offensive stats, it can trap Steel types who normally carry Hidden Power Fire/Ground for coverage moves (Water/Bug resists those and Steel STABs). Stay away from Magnezone obviously. It can then use Scald to fish for burns and incapacitate physical Steel types or Lunge to lower Attack to let a frailer teammate come in. At the very least, this gives it an alternative playstyle besides being the wincon that it was. If it has Heal Bell, then it might be a good Garbodor check as it resists one of of Garbodor's STABs + Earthquake, and can heal Toxic with Heal Bell. Still needs to watch out for Gunk Shot though. (maybe a check for the low-key brokenness of Garbodor Moosical / leonard (from big bang theory) ? Also feel free to expand on that note on this thread as well)

----
Let me know if any of these are still a bit overbearing but I also wanted to add some alternate fun playstyles in there as well.

Tiksi I guess it depends on the team, if you really hate Flying types. Moonblast usually covers for Dragons. I do like the idea of Competitive though with the amount of hazards and Defog I see. But yeah, I think it's better to just go down an ability list yourself to see any potential fun additions rather than a ranking list.

Last edited:
Hmm I guess there's not really an interest in making more rebalanced submissions? So far we only get to vote on Zangoose haha

I'll leave it open for overnight then maybe close voting early to move on with other slates.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Hmm I guess there's not really an interest in making more rebalanced submissions? So far we only get to vote on Zangoose haha

I'll leave it open for overnight then maybe close voting early to move on with other slates.
If I have time I’ll try to submit

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor

Water/Bug Araquanid
Stats:
80 / 80 / 100 / 80 / 170 / 40 (550 BST)
Abilities: Water Bubble | Regenerator
New Moves: Swords Dance, Haze, Spikes
Araquanid was just a textbook case of being unbreakable without Toxic. Immune to burns, stupidly strong Liquidation, dumb bulk, boosting options. This is just that but toned down a good bit.

Fighting Hariyama
Stats:
150 / 130 / 85 / 50 / 85 / 70 (570 BST)
Abilities: Thick Fat / Guts | Unaware
New Moves: Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Rapid Spin
Hariyama's Thick Fat set was what mad him so good, with great bulk and solid power alongside STAB priority and consistent recover. I removed Slack Off for obvious reasons while toning down the bulk a fair bit, this should make Guts more appealing and open the option of an Assualt Vest set. Also Spin cuz why not

Fire Arcanine
Stats:
100 / 120 / 80 / 75 / 90 / 105 (570 BST)
Abilities: Fur Coat / Reckless | Justified
New Moves: Swords Dance, Taunt
Literally just remove Fire Lash so it doesn't eat balance for dinner

koista12 Cresselia has to stay pure Fairy because that's what she won the slate as

But otherwise thanks for the submissions. I think I'll just count it as pure Fairy so we have a vote for each.

So now voting can begin!

Please use this template to vote:

Arcanine: Member's name
Hariyama: Member's name
Araquanid: Member's name
Cresselia: Member's name
Zangoose: Member's name

Voting ends 13 August.

There will be no type voting this time, because the next slate will be a special "Missing Types" slate, just to speed up adding any missing types. Also I kind of want to do a monotype Type Optimisation tournament, so it would help if we don't have any missing types.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only types we are really missing are:

Normal/Poison
Ghost/Rock
Ice/Psychic
(due to Jynx being retyped)

And the types that are Uber only-

Ghost/Fighting
Dragon/Steel
Ghost/Steel

also missing Ground/Poison now because of the Nido retyping. And Bug/Normal

So we can probably do a special two-parter to fill these combinations, then go back to the normal type slates.

Last edited:
Arcanine: Koista12
Hariyama: Solarblade
Araquanid: leonard (from big bang theory)
Cresselia: Solarblade
Zangoose: Koista12

I edited my Cress typing, but ironically I didn't notice fairy / ghost as a completed typing. Am I blind? Also what typings are we starting with? Will be doing the first three you listed, then the Uber ones, or will we be submitting up to 6 at once?

I edited my Cress typing, but ironically I didn't notice fairy / ghost as a completed typing. Am I blind? Also what typings are we starting with? Will be doing the first three you listed, then the Uber ones, or will we be submitting up to 6 at once?
Ah, I meant that those type don't exist at all in the current Type Opti metagame. So they get priority for the next slate.

For example, even if Ghost/Fairy hasn't been Type optimised yet, it still exists in the form of Mimikyu. We don't have a Normal/Poison or Ghost/Rock Pokemon at all. As for Ice/Psychic, Jynx is now Ice/Ghost so we need to fill that missing type.

I was planning to do 3 at a time since 3 is usually a good number for a slate (and not have it too overwhelming) but I'm open to just doing it all in one go if people want that.

Also I forgot to mention the can't vote for self rule but I guess for this voting slate, maybe I'll allow a max of 2 self-votes since this is an important balancing slate I guess.

Excuse the double post but here are my votes (and just as a reminder for people to add their votes since you've got about a bit over a day left)

Arcanine: leonard (from big bang theory)

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Arcanine: Koista12

Alright here are the results!

Congratulations to koista12's Arcanine and Zangoose, Solarblade's Hariyama and Cresselia and leonard (from big bang theory)'s Araquanid!

Now we move on to the Missing Types Special Slate #1

Normal/Poison, Rock/Ghost and Ice/Psychic
Submissions close at the 20th of August

----

Pokemon: Golurk
Type
: Rock/Ghost
BST:
90/ 130 / 110 / 55 / 85 / 100 | 570 BST
Abilities:
Sand Rush / Technician / No Guard
New Moves: Accelrock, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Bone
Removed Moves: N/A
Niche: Strong Sand Rush sweeper! Take advantage of boosted Special Defense and Speed in the sand. Or if you want to work outside of sand, you can go with Technician Shadow Sneak/Accelrock. No Guard now has a STAB option in Stone Edge as well. The immunity to Mach Punch is nice but as a result you also have to watch out for Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak.

Pokemon: Swalot
Type: Poison/Normal
BST:
100 / 80 / 90 / 100 / 90 / 110 | 570 BST
Abilities:
Regenerator / Scrappy / Tinted Lens
New Moves: Boomburst, Rapid Spin, Heal Bell
Niche: Normal/Poison can be an interesting type for a Rapid Spinner. You can absorb Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin other hazards in the process, so one idea I had was for a utility pivot. Absorb Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin other hazards, then use Regenerator to heal SR/Spikes damage away. Alternatively, switch in on Wow/Thunder Wave (you don't have to worry about Poison), then use Heal Bell to heal the rest of your team.

Offensively, the type has pretty poor coverage, so I gave it some Scrappy or Tinted Lens to make up for the bad coverage. Scrappy ensures Ghost types don't complete wall you or your Rapid Spins/Explosions. Tinted Lens makes sure Ghosts/Steels/Rocks don't ruin your day too much. Since Swalot has a pretty nice Special movepool, the stats lean towards it, and I gave it Boomburst. Boomburst can be devastating with either Scrappy or Tinted Lens, so I made sure it only has 100 Special Attack so it's not too dominating. Sure you can use Choice Specs/Scarf to have even more damage, but then you'll lose its utility options so the choice is up to you.

Pokemon: Hypno
Type: Ice/Psychic
BST:
85/ 60 / 75 / 125 / 115 / 110 | 570 BST
Abilities:
Fur Coat / Sheer Force / Dazzling
New Moves: Aurora Veil, Recover, Freeze Dry
Niche: It has that furry mane thing that reminds me of those Eskimo outfits, so Ice kind of fits! Ice/Psychic is an unfortunate defensive typing- only resistant to Ice and Psychic, and susceptible to priority such as Sucker Punch and Bullet Punch. Well that's where abilities come into play! Fur Coat gives it a bit of a defensive boost, to survive a bit more priority moves but also allow easier use of Nasty Plot/Calm Mind. If hail is up, you can even add Aurora Veil for more bulk and team utility- although Hypno would need access to another team member's Hail. Dazzling makes sure it just completely ignores priority moves, which is also a plus but leaves you more susceptible to general physical attacks. If you want to go the offensive route though, Sheer Force gives a boost its STAB moves (I went with Freeze Dry for the extra Water coverage and due to limited slots, although not sure if I should just replace this with the stronger Ice Beam).

Last edited:

Pokemon: Palossand
Type:

BST: 100 Hp (+15)/70 Atk (-5)/130 Def (+20)/120 SpA (+10)/110 SpD (+35)/40 Spe (+5)/570 BST (+90)
Abilities:
Water Absorb / Water Compaction / Sand Stream (HA)
New Moves: Power Gem, Calm Mind & Will-O-Wisp
Justification: S a n d.
Niche: Good overall bulk and 3 great abilities patch Palossand's new pretty mediocre typing to make the sand boy a great Sand Setter or Bulky CM sweeper, do whatever the fuck you want with the sand castle.
L8er

Pokemon: Ninetales-Alola
Type:

BST: 80 Hp (+7)/65 Atk (-2)/80 Def (+5)/120 SpA (+39)/100 SpD (+0)/125 Spe (+16)/570 BST (+65)
Abilities:
Snow Cloak / Dazzling / Snow Warning (HA)
New Moves: Psychic, Focus Blast & U-Turn.
Justification: It learnt a shit ton of Psychic-type moves already.
Niche: The og Aurora Veil setter is back, but with actual offensive presence and a pivoting move.
Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry / Psyshock
- Taunt
- U-Turn / Hail

Ninetales-Alola @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Snow Warning / Dazzling
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Freeze-Dry / Blizzard
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Last edited:
necrozma-dawn_wings.gif

Pokemon:
Necrozma Dawn Wings
Type: Rock / Ghost
BST: 90 HP / 57 Atk / 90 Def / 134 SpA / 121 SpD / 78 Spe | 570 BST
Abilities:
Prism Armor / Levitate (Multiscale)
New Moves: Defog, Focus Blast, Ice Beam
Niche: Ubers sure as hell won't miss this. I could have done Lunatone but that would require a much more lopsided stat spread and more than three moves to boost it's offensive presence to acceptable levels. This boi right here has decent natural 90 / 90 / 121 bulk along with a trifecta of cool abilities that all work to reduce damage in some way. Prism Armor allows it to more handily take Pursuits and Bullet Punches, while Levitate completely flips the relation Necrozma-DW has with mons like Lando, Gliscor, and Typhlosion, and at least let's it beat Zygarde 1v1. Multiscale would likely be the least used ability but its bulk is pretty phenomenal and it can beat most things 1v1. Necrozma has good utility options in Rocks and Defog, while maintaining offensive pressure with it's STABs, three forms of coverage for steels, and Ice Beam for ground types. Last plus is that it outspeeds Heatran by 2 points.

naganadel.gif

Pokemon: Naganadel
Type: Poison / Normal
BST: 101 HP / 61 Atk / 73 Def / 131 SpA / 73 SpD / 131 Spe | 570 BST
Abilities:
Beast Boost (Adaptability)
New Moves: Hyper Voice, Tri Attack
Removed Moves: Outrage, Draco Meteor, Nasty Plot
Niche: Fast, strong and a terrible fucking STAB combo. Naganadel is still a nightmare for offense but can't really threaten any team with a dedicated special sponge. It still retains U-turn for pivoting and now loses even worse to Heatran and Ttar. It's speed just outmatches Tapu Koko and it's stats are all now prime numbers while matching the other Ultra Beasts

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor

Pokemon: Raticate
Type:

BST: 80 HP (+10) / 111 Atk (+30) / 70 Def (+10) / 111 SpA (+61) / 80 SpD (+10) / 118 Spe (+21) | 570 BST
Abilities:
Technician / Defiant | Contrary (HA)
New Moves: Nasty Plot, Poison Jab, Gunk Shot
Intended Use(s): Raticate can work as either a Physical/Special/Mixed Set-Up Sweeper, or even a Banded/Specs/Scarf Revenge Killer. To make up for its rather mediocre offensive Typing by having a great coverage learnset like Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Wild Charge, Stomping Tantrum, Dark Pulse, Crunch/Sucker Punch/Pursuit/Technician Bite, and even Technician Hidden Power. Defiant or Contrary will help deal with the problematic Intimidate and Sticky Web. However, it can be paralyzed, burned and be walled by a Steel-type who aren't worried of Stomping Tantrum (though Celesteela and Skarmory would not like to be hit by a Nasty Plot boosted Thunderbolt, and at most extreme, only Heatran doesn't fear the Technician Hidden Power Fire).

Pokemon: Spiritomb
Type:

BST: 65 HP (+15) / 82 Atk (-10) / 128 Def (+20) / 112 SpA (+20) / 128 SpD (+20) / 55 Spe (+20) | 570 BST
Abilities:
Magic Bounce / Cursed Body | Pressure (HA)
New Moves: Recover, Power Gem, Destiny Bond
Intended Use(s): Spiritomb can be a troublesome troublemaker even if its Speed isn't much; it can use Taunt to punish walls while setting up on his own with Calm Mind or Nasty Plot, can pass burn via Will-o-Wisp to Physical threats like Landorus-T, Kyurem-Black and the now nerfed Zangoose, and can use Pain Split, especially at low HP, to cripple enemies with much higher HP such as Hariyama. It can even use Destiny Bond when it expect a switch-in into a Wallbreaker, putting further pressure. Magic Bounce can be used to push back Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, as well as protecting fellows who hates Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Wave and Toxic.

Pokemon: Starmie
Type:

BST: 80 HP (+20) / 75 Atk / 85 Def / 110 SpA (+10) / 85 SpD / 135 Spe (+20) | 570 BST
Abilities:
No Guard / Natural Cure | Magic Guard (HA)
New Moves: Focus Blast, Calm Mind, Nasty Plot
Removed Moves: Zap Cannon
Intended Use(s): With Jynx no more as an Ice/Psychic Pokemon in this Pet Mod, we need another Pokemon to Type Optimize into another and more effective Ice/Psychic. Meet Ice/Psychic Starmie; No Guard for perfect Accuracy Blizzard, Hydro Pump and Focus Blast, Natural Cure to shoo off Paralysis, Sleep and Poison (unless if Starmie is all left) and Magic Guard to not worry about Poison, Stealth Rock and able to freely abuse Life Orb to boost its Psychic/Psyshock, BoltBeam and Scald. Water-type coverage is actually good for Starmie, as it can cover both Fire and Rock, and those that can resist Water can be hurt by either Ice-type or Electric-type. It can be used as a Set-up Sweeper or a Spec/Scarf Revenge Killer.

Last edited:
Gotta love Smogon not giving notifications for practically the entirety of summer.

I'm not late, though, am I?

Pokemon: Tyranitar
Type:

Old Stats: 100 / 134 / 110 / 95 / 100 / 61 (600 BST)
New Stats: 95 (-5) / 130 (-4) / 130 (+20) / 75 (-20) / 80 (-20) / 60 (-1) (570 BST)
Abilities: Sand Stream / Strong Jaw / Cursed Body (HA)
New Moves: Accelerock, Shadow Bone

Despite a reduced amount of stats overall, Rock-Ghost has uniqueness as a typing that lets Tyranitar capitalize on Fighting-types that normally beat Rock-types, be a spinblocker and rock setter at the same time, and gain extra special defense from sand. Past stats which tend to be the more boring part about Optimized mons, Sand Stream remains as Tyranitar's requisite ability and the main reason you'll want to use him. If seeking a more interesting route, Strong Jaw boosts the power of the Elemental Fangs and Crunch to levels at which they're good enough to use as coverage. Lando won't be switching in onto any Ice Fangs any time soon. Cursed Body is there mostly for flavor, a touch I like. For moves, Accelerock patches up Tyranitar's pathetic Speed even when running a Dragon Dance set and Shadow Bone is stronger coverage than Shadow Claw.

Sorry for not being here for the past forever, I plan to get more active again! I'll finish the rest of the typings when I have time.

Pokemon: Ambipom
Type:

BST: 85 / 120 / 90 / 60 / 90 / 125 | BST: 570 (+10 HP, +20 Atk, +24 Def, +24 SpD, +10 Spe)
Abilities: Technician / Sticky Hold / Skill Link (HA)
New Moves: Close Combat, Toxic Spikes, Poison Jab
Justification/Niche: Skill Link makes Tail Slap a powerful Normal STAB along with STAB Gunk Shot. Close Combat and Knock Off are useful coverage moves for hitting Rock, Steel, and Ghost types that resist the STAB combo.
Sample Moveset:
Ambipom @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tail Slap
- Gunk Shot
- Close Combat
- Knock Off / Switcheroo / U-turn

Pokemon: Golem
Type:

BST: 90 / 130 / 140 / 55 / 90 / 65 | BST: 570 (+10 HP, +10 Atk, +10 Def, +25 SpD, +20 Spe)
Abilities: Sturdy / Sand Stream (HA)
New Moves: Shore Up, Spirit Shackle, Will-O-Wisp
Justification/Niche: Bulky sand setter and attacker. Sand gives it great mixed bulk while boosting Shore Up's recovery. Rock/Ground/Ghost attacks provide perfect neutral coverage.
Sample Moveset:
Golem @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Spirit Shackle
- Earthquake
- Shore Up

Pokemon: Mr. Mime
Type:

BST: 70 / 45 / 85 / 120 / 150 / 100 | BST: 570 (+30 HP, +20 Def, +20 SpA, +30 SpD, +10 Spe)
Abilities: Soundproof / Filter / Slush Rush (HA)
New Moves: Ice Beam, Recover, Aurora Veil
Justification/Niche: Hail sweeper and Aurora Veil setter. Nasty Plot allows it to set up, and it has access to BoltBeam or Focus Blast for great coverage. Also has high special bulk with reliable recovery.
Sample Moveset:
Mr. Mime @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Focus Blast / Aurora Veil
- Nasty Plot

Last edited:

Pokemon: Skuntank
Type:

BST: 150 / 95 / 100 / 95 / 100 / 30 BST 570
Abilities: Aftermath / Poison Touch / HA: Prankster
New Moves: Slack Off, Toxic Spikes, Will-O-Wisp
Justification/Niche: WIP
Sample moveset:
Mixed Wall (Skuntank) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster / Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD or 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Bold / Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Slack Off
- Will-O-Wisp

Pokemon: Minior
Type:

BST (Meteor):
60 HP / 95 Atk / 130 Def / 95 SpA / 130 SpD / 60 Spe BST 570
BST (Core):
60 HP / 130 Atk / 60 Def / 130 SpA / 60 SpD / 130 Spe BST 570
Ability:
Shields Down
New Moves: Shadow Ball, Curse, Head Smash
Justification/Niche: One of Minior's Pokédex entries states that it will die if its core is exposed for too long, which prompted me to submit this. Shields Down is a very nice compliment to a Shell Smash set as while in Meteor Form it is completely immune to status. That's not all that Minior can do though, as it makes for a nice lead with a unique niche. Curse can trigger Shields Down if you have an even HP number, and it's also good against fat mons that have the potential to wall it. Being Ghost provides immunities to some forms of priority like Espeed and Mach Punch, but on the other hand Rock provides weaknesses to Aqua Jet and Bullet Punch.
Sample Sets:
Minior @ White Herb / Ghostium Z / Rockium Z
Ability: Shields Down
EVs: 4 HP / 244 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive/Rash Nature
- Shell Smash
- Head Smash/Stone Edge
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake

Saved as a late-game sweeper, Minior can run White Herb for survivability or a Z-crystal to go ballistic.

Minior @ Focus Sash / Rockium Z / Ghostium Z
Ability: Shields Down
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Curse / Explosion

EdgeQuake hits as many things as possible; Weezing, Cresselia, Probopass and friends think they can breathe easy... until they get cursed. Curse pretty much guarantees a switch, which gives you the upper hand in terms of tempo. Z-Curse restores your HP, which means you have more potential opportunities to use it.

Voting starts now!

Use this template and try to have a vote for each one so we have less tiebreakers.

Normal/Poison: Someone's Pokemon
Rock/Ghost: Someone's Pokemon
Ice/Psychic: Someone's Pokemon

No voting for self and there will be a part 2 to the missing types slate so no type voting this time.

Voting ends 24th of August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)