Project Metagame Workshop

so i read through everything you guys replied to me, and i realized youre kinda right.
having 2 mechanics in an om is an omm (i completely fogot) and that we should ban tera (not the mechanic, just changing your type) because STAB on all 3 moves seems pretty broken haha steelworker go brrr
and probably add like something in team preview (if possible) that shows your opponents tera type.
also, the name Teraform and Terastal Power are so good i cant decide lol.
ill let you guys decide for the name of this om, just for fun

Teratype
Premise:
The first Pokémon in your team is automatically Terastallised. You can have any Tera type of your choice except one of its base types. The remaining members of your team need to share a type with that Tera type.
Potential bans:
Default Monotype bans except Terastal Clause.
Question:
Does allowing one off-type Pokémon make this sufficiently different from regular Monotype?
I like the above idea of a Monotype meta but with Tera. I have a thought with a similar concept but changed for something a bit different:

Share-a-Type (okay yeah this name sucks I just wanted to make a pun)

Premise: You bring a team of six Pokémon, the order in the team doesn't matter. Each Pokémon has a Tera-type selected. The first Pokémon you send out Terastylizes the moment Turn 1 starts. From that moment on, every Pokémon on your team now has this type as STAB. They only get this benefit offensively, not defensively.

Strategy: Each Pokémon on your team would have a different Tera-type, and you could choose which Tera type would be shared with your team by seeing the opponent's team during Team Preview. Setting up multiple members of your team with enough coverage for different shared types allows for interesting offenses, and having the Tera Pokémon reveal themselves right from the start means you already know what your opponent has defensively.

Bans/Restrictions: OU Banlist, Same Tera restrictions as above (Cannot Tera into a type you already have, maybe cannot Tera into a type of someone on your team?)

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
:groudon: Splitless :kyogre:

Premise:
Non-Status Moves from Types that existed in Gen 3 become Physical or Special depending on the category the Type used back then.
Potential threats:
:great tusk: :annihilape: :scizor:
Not getting affected by the change is often a good thing, as you no longer have competition from stuff that got nerfed, this results in a series of metagames changes compared to OU.

The "I'm not sure if I want this" group:
:dragonite::gyarados: :dragapult:
Some physical Flying-types can now use Hurricane and Air Slash as their main STAB, a big upgrade from the nothing the non-birds had, but some like Dragonite and Gyarados now have to use their lower attacking stat for their other STAB. Dragapult get to use Shadow Ball on its physical sets but no Dragon Darts, so it may want to go mixed.

The "I don't like changes" group:
:gengar::roaring moon: :palafin-hero: :chien-pao: :dondozo:
A lot of Pokémon hate returning to this as they are left without good STABs, you may find some of the Ubers no longer being all that impressive like Palafin who may give up on its STAB and go with Tera Boombusrt to be at least usable.

But what about Fairies???
:azumarill: :iron valiant: :flutter mane:
The best way to answer this question is to ignore it, trying to decide in a category would be too arbitrary, as the logic Game Freak used back then is... weird? They made Dark Special despite all their moves being about physical contact, there isn't much to follow, and trying to use Eevee to decide this doesn't really work as not all Special types have an eeveelution. But more importantly, if gen 10+ decides to add a new Type, we will already have an answer, their moves aren't affected by the mechanic.

I like the above idea of a Monotype meta but with Tera. I have a thought with a similar concept but changed for something a bit different:

Premise: You bring a team of six Pokémon, the order in the team doesn't matter. Each Pokémon has a Tera-type selected. The first Pokémon you send out Terastylizes the moment Turn 1 starts. From that moment on, every Pokémon on your team now has this type as STAB. They only get this benefit offensively, not defensively.

Strategy: Each Pokémon on your team would have a different Tera-type, and you could choose which Tera type would be shared with your team by seeing the opponent's team during Team Preview. Setting up multiple members of your team with enough coverage for different shared types allows for interesting offenses, and having the Tera Pokémon reveal themselves right from the start means you already know what your opponent has defensively.

Bans/Restrictions: OU Banlist, Same Tera restrictions as above (Cannot Tera into a type you already have, maybe cannot Tera into a type of someone on your team?)
Wait so is it like Shared Power but for STABs? And the STABs can be whatever type you choose? :psynervous: uhh no no no get out of my head ahh

Lets say you have a Chi-Yu in the back, stacked with a bunch of Tera Dark/Fire, setup a Shed Tail with Cyclizar on you fifth Tera Dark/Fire, Nasty Plot with Chi-Yu along with 5 STAB boosts, and then just nuke the crap out of everything. This isn't balanced, maybe add a Same Tera Type Clause.

Even then, in Shared Power things get out of hand way too much, and adding 5 more STAB types to one pokemon is wayy too much, let alone just adding ONE.

Or is it like only the first pokemon gives the tera type to everyone and the others stay unchanged? If that's the case this is a bit more balanced. Also showing the tera type in preview would make it more balanced. I actually dig this, you can make some potent combinations.

Maybe call it Pass-the-STAB sounds cool or Elemental Gift a take on Godly Gift.

:groudon: Splitless :kyogre:

Premise:
Non-Status Moves from Types that existed in Gen 3 become Physical or Special depending on the category the Type used back then.
Potential threats:
:great tusk: :annihilape: :scizor:
Not getting affected by the change is often a good thing, as you no longer have competition from stuff that got nerfed, this results in a series of metagames changes compared to OU.

The "I'm not sure if I want this" group:
:dragonite::gyarados: :dragapult:
Some physical Flying-types can now use Hurricane and Air Slash as their main STAB, a big upgrade from the nothing the non-birds had, but some like Dragonite and Gyarados now have to use their lower attacking stat for their other STAB. Dragapult get to use Shadow Ball on its physical sets but no Dragon Darts, so it may want to go mixed.

The "I don't like changes" group:
:gengar::roaring moon: :palafin-hero: :chien-pao: :dondozo:
A lot of Pokémon hate returning to this as they are left without good STABs, you may find some of the Ubers no longer being all that impressive like Palafin who may give up on its STAB and go with Tera Boombusrt to be at least usable.

But what about Fairies???
:azumarill: :iron valiant: :flutter mane:
The best way to answer this question is to ignore it, trying to decide in a category would be too arbitrary, as the logic Game Freak used back then is... weird? They made Dark Special despite all their moves being about physical contact, there isn't much to follow, and trying to use Eevee to decide this doesn't really work as not all Special types have an eeveelution. But more importantly, if gen 10+ decides to add a new Type, we will already have an answer, their moves aren't affected by the mechanic.
I remember talking about this yesterday :D

It sounds fun, reliving gen 3. It's like gen 3 mechanics with gen 9 pokemon.

Any pokemon that is a physical attacker, but are Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Psychic, Ice, Dragon, and Dark are kinda unusable and any pokemon that is a special attacker, but are Normal, Fighting, Flying, Poison, Ground, Rock, Bug, Ghost, and Steel are also pretty much unusable. Fairy types are whatever. The pokemon that get nerfed vastly outnumber the pokemon that get buffed.

but I found this under the "commonly rejected". I'm not sure how lenient the OM approvers are.
  • I like old gens: Current Pokemon with X Generation's mechanics

Even then, in Shared Power things get out of hand way too much, and adding 5 more STAB types to one pokemon is wayy too much, let alone just adding ONE.

Or is it like only the first pokemon gives the tera type to everyone and the others stay unchanged? If that's the case this is a bit more balanced. Also showing the tera type in preview would make it more balanced. I actually dig this, you can make some potent combinations.

Maybe call it Pass-the-STAB sounds cool or Elemental Gift a take on Godly Gift.
Right, maybe I wasn't entirely clear with my wording. In this example, similar to the Teratype example, only one Pokemon terastylises. The idea is that the lead Pokemon reveals the tera type that the rest of the team will be sharing for the rest of the game. However, this wouldn't be dependant on the first slot, but rather who you send out first once the battle starts.

Example: You have a Clodsire with Tera type Water, and a Goodra with Tera-type steel. If you start the game by sending out the Clodsire, it becomes a Water type instead of Poison/Ground, and Goodra would get a STAB bonus on its Muddy Water. If you send out Goodra first, it becomes a Steel type, instead of a Dragon type, and Clodsire gets STAB on Iron Head.

No one else will change types for the rest of the game. Effectively, it would be like giving Steelworker to everyone else in your party, except applying for whatever type you just changed your lead mon into.

Hope this clarifies the point I was trying to make, please let me know what I should rephrase in the original post to make this more clear.

KaenSoul

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader

This sounds nice, kind of worried it may end too similar to OU but more offensive oriented, or that the lack of coverage options on some of the most relevant Pokémon may force some games to only have one or two actually receiving the boost.
I was thinking of something similar, where the Tera of the first mon would overwrite the secondary type of everyone else in the team, so you get a Monotype team that can be of 6 different types depending on who you send first, mostly to prevent having stab on 3 types as that often push things over the edge.

Imma do a 2 in 1 if that's alright, the second one being something everyone will say no to, but it's ok.

Type Swap v2 place holder i need something else

Premise: A doubles based metagame where a pokemon's primary type is swapped with the ally's tera type.

Example/Mechanics: If you have Tera Electric Houndoom and Tera Water Lumineon, the Houndoom will be Water/Fire with Tera Water and the Lumineon will be pure Electric with Tera Dark.
Once terastalized, however, the Houndoom will ALWAYS be pure Water with STABs in Dark/Fire/Water and the Lumineon will stay as pure Electric with Tera Dark (which is now useless)
If a Quagsire with Tera Poison switches in the place of Lumineon, it will be Electric/Ground with Tera Dark.
If the same Quagsire switches in the place of Houndoom, the Quagsire will be Water/Ground Type with Tera Water and Lumineon will be Poison type with Tera Water.

Potential Bans:
Pokemon: :koraidon: :miraidon: these are obvious.
Clauses: Standard Doubles Clause

Strategy: Tera type does not need to be shown in team preview because with a little bit of thought, you can figure out the tera type of every pokemon, making you prepared for every situation.

You can pivot around as necessary to fit the needs at the given moment to gain a better type or a better tera type. Once you are in a good spot, you can terastalize as needed with up to six tera types at your disposal.
Giving a pokemon the same tera type as it's primary type can give an offensive boost to your ally once your ally terastalizes.

Some Possible Threats

:flutter-mane: It gets a wide variety of moves that it usually runs for coverage. It's strongest moves are quite weak and is has room for change.

:iron-valiant: Why does this get so much coverage? It has TONS of moves and can do very well physically and specially.

:volcarona: Maybe pair this with Tera Grass Torkoal for Solar Beam and Giga Drain nukes. It's Bug moves are quite lacking and a Grass/Fire type could be cool.

:meowscarada: :psynervous: Protean? Change ally's tera type? You can do some super interesting and fun strategies.

:cyclizar: Shed Tail is already insane, and combining this with a more defensive typing like Ghost/Normal could make this an absolute beast of a support. It also gets a couple good coverage moves if it wants to go offensive.

Questions for the Community

Is the premise too complicated?
I wanted to do something with doubles, the new gimmick, and make try to make it balanced and unique.

Are there any pokemon, abilities, moves, or items that come to mind that should be banned?

Types Among Us

Premise:
The Type Chart is now this credit goes to the person who made this

Potential Threats: Fire types and Ghost types are very hard to get rid of now and Normal types can only hit both. Fire types and Ground types hit so many other types for supereffective damage, so they are something to watch out for offensively. Types such as Rock and Ghost are basically useless offensively.

Questions for Community:

Is this too unbalanced? Some types are way stronger than others,
obviously. knowing gamefreak it seems like we are fine to an extent

Are there any pokemon, abilities, moves, or items that come to mind that should be banned?

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
Types Among Us

Premise:

Potential Threats: Fire types and Ghost types are very hard to get rid of now and Normal types can only hit both. Fire types and Ground types hit so many other types for supereffective damage, so they are something to watch out for offensively. Types such as Rock and Ghost are basically useless offensively.

Questions for Community:

Please no. Putting aside the fact that certain type combinations (Ghost/Water, Electric, Bug, or Rock) are immune to all attacks (and can just Substitute vs. Toxic or whatever), this is just a dumb immunity-filled hazard stack switch fest (everything runs HDB because Spikes are like the only way to make progress, so even that’s not an option, you just need to hope you have a sweeper with the right combination of moves that isn’t blanked by a single one of the opponent’s mons) that would require banning like 3/4 the dex to have any kind of balance.

Oh and good luck trying to break through with like Swords Dance Garchomp with Double Edge/Earthquake coverage (pretty much the only type combo that can do stuff offensively), 11 resistances/5 immunities Dondozo and immune-to-all-but-2-types Skeledirge shut down every setup sweeper in the game, and can Tera into each others’ types to turn everything that hits them into an immunity.

Last edited:

KaenSoul

Community Leader
Imma do a 2 in 1 if that's alright, the second one being something everyone will say no to, but it's ok.

Type Swap v2 place holder i need something else

Premise: A doubles based metagame where a pokemon's primary type is swapped with the ally's tera type.

Example/Mechanics: If you have Tera Electric Houndoom and Tera Water Lumineon, the Houndoom will be Water/Fire with Tera Water and the Lumineon will be pure Electric with Tera Dark.
Once terastalized, however, the Houndoom will ALWAYS be pure Water with STABs in Dark/Fire/Water and the Lumineon will stay as pure Electric with Tera Dark (which is now useless)
If a Quagsire with Tera Poison switches in the place of Lumineon, it will be Electric/Ground with Tera Dark.
If the same Quagsire switches in the place of Houndoom, the Quagsire will be Water/Ground Type with Tera Water and Lumineon will be Poison type with Tera Water.

Potential Bans:
Pokemon: :koraidon: :miraidon: these are obvious.
Clauses: Standard Doubles Clause

Strategy: Tera type does not need to be shown in team preview because with a little bit of thought, you can figure out the tera type of every pokemon, making you prepared for every situation.

You can pivot around as necessary to fit the needs at the given moment to gain a better type or a better tera type. Once you are in a good spot, you can terastalize as needed with up to six tera types at your disposal.
Giving a pokemon the same tera type as it's primary type can give an offensive boost to your ally once your ally terastalizes.

Some Possible Threats

:flutter-mane: It gets a wide variety of moves that it usually runs for coverage. It's strongest moves are quite weak and is has room for change.

:iron-valiant: Why does this get so much coverage? It has TONS of moves and can do very well physically and specially.

:volcarona: Maybe pair this with Tera Grass Torkoal for Solar Beam and Giga Drain nukes. It's Bug moves are quite lacking and a Grass/Fire type could be cool.

:meowscarada: :psynervous: Protean? Change ally's tera type? You can do some super interesting and fun strategies.

:cyclizar: Shed Tail is already insane, and combining this with a more defensive typing like Ghost/Normal could make this an absolute beast of a support. It also gets a couple good coverage moves if it wants to go offensive.

Questions for the Community

Is the premise too complicated?
I wanted to do something with doubles, the new gimmick, and make try to make it balanced and unique.

This could work, but I would add Tera to team preview, as there is going to be a lot of information going on and people may get confused, so let's make this more "new player" friendly.
I can imagine this tier being all about good prediction, to a more extreme level that what we are used to as the types will be changing constantly and Types with immunities may have decreased viability. But it should be fun.
Types Among Us

Premise:

Questions for Community:

This is a no as it is too arbitrary (and unbalanced), it could pass a solo mod I think.

I don't know the name yet

In this metagame, you put a terrain/weather/condition instead of the item slot, and it stays up as long as the mon is in. If the two mons on the field have the same thing in the item slot, it cancels out. There can be two of the same type of conditions up at the same time (Example: Rain and hail can both be up). Magic room cancels out everything plus its normal purpose, and thats pretty much it I think.

Questions:
Anyone got a name idea? I've got no idea what to call it
Should types completely unaffected by all terrains/weathers get a stat boost?
Is it possible to code?
Gravity+Hypnosis/sing is prob too op so maybe sleep ban?

UT

No, I’m not coming to my senses
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
If the two mons on the field have the same thing in the item slot, it cancels out. There can be two of the same type of conditions up at the same time (Example: Rain and hail can both be up). Magic room cancels out everything plus its normal purpose, and thats pretty much it I think.
I think these elements would be problematic, as they’re fairly pet-moddy/subjective. I think you’d need to emulate Drought/Electric Surge/etc; if you send our a rain mon with rain up, nothing happens. If you send out an electric terrain mon while grassy terrain is up, it replaces the glassy terrain. Magic room would in this case prevent new conditions from being set ig? That one might be okay?

I worry this meta will be insanely centralized around Swift Swim, to the exclusion of almost all else. Well, that and Trick Room. It might be worth workshopping a little more? But the mechanics should be streamlined and I’m a little skeptical of its merits.

Acid Terrain

Premise: All four terrains are active at the same time permanently. This means all Electric, Grass, and Psychic moves get their power boosted by 30%, priority is unusable, you can't put anything to sleep, you get passive Leftovers, status doesn't work, Earthquake and Magnitude have their damage halved, and Dragon moves have their damage cut.

Potential Bans/Threats:
:armarouge: The only Pokemon in the game with access to one of Expanding Force, Grassy Glide, or Rising Voltage. It really enjoys the passive healing that this meta provides, and it has a very strong Expanding Force. Additionally, it really appreciates the halving of Earthquake's damage.
:dondozo: :ting-lu: Double Leftovers? No Toxics? These are gonna be a nightmare. Better be packing an extremely strong Grass to handle them.
:iron-hands: :iron-valiant: Oh. Right. Quark Drive. Iron Hands, Iron Valiant, and Iron Moth will start out banned, but the rest of the future paradoxes will be constantly looked at to make sure they aren't broken.
:blissey: :toxapex: :ting-lu: This meta will inherently be quite defensive, thanks to the lack of Toxic and passive Leftovers. Stall and semi-stall will be constantly looked at, and I could see even something as extreme as an Item Clause come into effect.
:garchomp: This thing has been absolutely ruined. Its best STAB move is now Earth Power. Have fun with that.

Questions for the community:
Will this meta be too defensive? If so, what can be done to fix it?
Are there any issues with the core of the metagame on the coding side?

KaenSoul

Community Leader
I don't know the name yet

In this metagame, you put a terrain/weather/condition instead of the item slot, and it stays up as long as the mon is in. If the two mons on the field have the same thing in the item slot, it cancels out. There can be two of the same type of conditions up at the same time (Example: Rain and hail can both be up). Magic room cancels out everything plus its normal purpose, and thats pretty much it I think.

Questions:
Anyone got a name idea? I've got no idea what to call it
Should types completely unaffected by all terrains/weathers get a stat boost?
Is it possible to code?
Gravity+Hypnosis/sing is prob too op so maybe sleep ban?
You need to be a bit more specific on the kind of field effects included, are primal weather, Tailwind, Mud Sport and other lasting effects part of the mechanic?
And do not do the stat boost thing, that's just too arbitrary, not every format has to try to make everything viable.
Call it Weather Report.
Acid Terrain

Premise: All four terrains are active at the same time permanently. This means all Electric, Grass, and Psychic moves get their power boosted by 30%, priority is unusable, you can't put anything to sleep, you get passive Leftovers, status doesn't work, Earthquake and Magnitude have their damage halved, and Dragon moves have their damage cut.

Potential Bans/Threats:
:armarouge: The only Pokemon in the game with access to one of Expanding Force, Grassy Glide, or Rising Voltage. It really enjoys the passive healing that this meta provides, and it has a very strong Expanding Force. Additionally, it really appreciates the halving of Earthquake's damage.
:dondozo: :ting-lu: Double Leftovers? No Toxics? These are gonna be a nightmare. Better be packing an extremely strong Grass to handle them.
:iron-hands: :iron-valiant: Oh. Right. Quark Drive. Iron Hands, Iron Valiant, and Iron Moth will start out banned, but the rest of the future paradoxes will be constantly looked at to make sure they aren't broken.
:blissey: :toxapex: :ting-lu: This meta will inherently be quite defensive, thanks to the lack of Toxic and passive Leftovers. Stall and semi-stall will be constantly looked at, and I could see even something as extreme as an Item Clause come into effect.
:garchomp: This thing has been absolutely ruined. Its best STAB move is now Earth Power. Have fun with that.

Will this meta be too defensive? If so, what can be done to fix it?
Are there any issues with the core of the metagame on the coding side?
Sleep is finally balanced.
This may work, but I'm worried that the combination of Priority being unviable, 3 types getting damage bonus and status effects no existing could force this into HO vs hard stall with no much in between. iirc Acid Rain didn't do that well back in the day so who knows how much attention the terrain version could get, but with proper tiering it should be fun.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
:salamence::Altaria:Convergence:Dragonite::noivern:

Metagame premise: Pokémon gain access to the abilities and Movepools of all Pokémon that share their typing (e.g. Roaring Moon, Hydreigon [and Zwellious and Deino] are all of the Dark/Dragon types in the tier. Roaring Moon would gain access to Hydreigon's full Movepool in addition to it's own, while having the choice of Protosynthesis, Levitate or Hustle as ability options)
Potential bans and threats: Banlist off the top of my head - Pure Power, Slaking, Imposter, Shell Smash and Comatose. We also will implement a Sleep Moves clause due to Spore dispersal.

Some major threats include Salamence/Dragonite, who gain tools from each other, while also gaining utility options like Will O Wisp, U-Turn and Defog from Altaria and Noivern respectively, turning them into the ultimate offensive and defensive juggernaut. Dondozo is another top tier defensive, and potentially banworthy threat with access to multiple god tier defensive abilities like Regenerator and it's own Unaware and potent utility options like U-turn, Wish, Rapid Spin, and Roost. Finally Iron Hands is a menace thanks to getting the full offensive and utility Movepool and abilities of Pawmot, including Revival Blessing, which might push Iron over the edge and into broken territory.

Is Convergence a good name, in regards to clearly conveying what the OM is about? Composite Meta was something also thrown around, but I wanted something snappy.

Currently, moves between prevos and moves between alternate forms are treated how STABmons treats them. Is it a good idea to maintain this, or does it go against the spirit of the metagame?

Give your thoughts and opinions for this project please, it's definitely something that has a lot of potential staying power + expansion from Home and DLC(s), and I am really passionate about it.

Metagame premise: Pokémon gain access to the abilities and Movepools of all Pokémon that share their typing (e.g. Roaring Moon, Hydreigon [and Zwellious and Deino] are all of the Dark/Dragon types in the tier. Roaring Moon would gain access to Hydreigon's full Movepool in addition to it's own, while having the choice of Protosynthesis, Levitate or Hustle as ability options)
Potential bans and threats: Banlist off the top of my head - Pure Power, Slaking, Imposter, Shell Smash and Comatose. We also will implement a Sleep Moves clause due to Spore dispersal.

Some major threats include Salamence/Dragonite, who gain tools from each other, while also gaining utility options like Will O Wisp, U-Turn and Defog from Altaria and Noivern respectively, turning them into the ultimate offensive and defensive juggernaut. Dondozo is another top tier defensive, and potentially banworthy threat with access to multiple god tier defensive abilities like Regenerator and it's own Unaware and potent utility options like U-turn, Wish, Rapid Spin, and Roost. Finally Iron Hands is a menace thanks to getting the full offensive and utility Movepool and abilities of Pawmot, including Revival Blessing, which might push Iron over the edge and into broken territory.

Is Convergence a good name, in regards to clearly conveying what the OM is about? Composite Meta was something also thrown around, but I wanted something snappy.

Currently, moves between prevos and moves between alternate forms are treated how STABmons treats them. Is it a good idea to maintain this, or does it go against the spirit of the metagame?

Give your thoughts and opinions for this project please, it's definitely something that has a lot of potential staying power + expansion from Home and DLC(s), and I am really passionate about it.
I like this a lot. You can come up with some many potent combinations with some pokemon. I feel like monotype pokemon might have an edge here because there are an abundance of them. I would play this and it would be some fun teambuilding.

Some stuff like giving legendary abilities or moves could be an issue. Lots of balancing needs to be done but those problems can be looked past.

As for your questions,

Convergence is a cool name. I would’ve named it Type Bridge as a counterpart to Ability Bridge cause im lazy.

I think the preevo stuff like STABmons should be fine. It also kinda fits into the name better.

KaenSoul

Community Leader

If you want a name that directly refers to the mechanic, something like "Typepool" could work if it doesn't sound too weird.
Anyway, it seems fun, will you use restrictions or only bans? As in Shell Smash can't be used by Iron Bundle but Cloyster can still use it.
And if this works like STABmons, that means every mono typed Pokémon get access to every move naturally learned by Arceus and Arceus gets every move naturally learned by mono typed Pokémon, right?
:tauros:
Tauros (Kanto) seems like it could be really good once it gets released, gaining Maushold's signature moves, all of Arceus moves, and powerful abilities like Guts, Quick Feet, Stakeout and Technician.
:eevee:
Another tier with Boomburst Sylveon is always welcome. All the eeveelutions seem great, they get pretty much every coverage move they could wish for, the abilities already mentioned for Tauros on top of some stuff they get from their own types, like Jolteon gets Electric Surge, Espeon gets Speed Boost, Leafeon gets Poison Heal, Vaporeon gets Unaware and Regenerator, Flareon gets Drought. Other stuff they all get includes Intimidate, Tidy Up, Roost, U-Turn, Rapid Spin, Nasty Plot, Swords Dance and Belly Drum.
:rotom-fan:
Rotom-Fan may actually be good here, it gets Quiver Dance, Volt Absorb, Roost, Taunt and Hurricane, but not much coverage other than Icy Wind.
:copperajah:
Copperajah seems quite strong, gaining Steely Spirit, Close Combat, SD and a lot of other great moves like Shed Tail, kind of want Melmetal to come back to do it better (and Kinklang to add Shift Gear).
:charizard:
The semi-official mascot gets access to Quiver Dance, Eruption, Drought and Earth Power thanks to Oricorio and Torkoal, it may not be just a meme.
:annihilape:
Ape gains No Retreat and Guts, may even more stuff if it can get stuff from Arceus-Fighting once it becomes legal, Recover would be a very big deal.
:gardevoir: :hatterene: :scream tail:
The Fairy/Psychic get to share Teleport, Stealth Rock, Nuzzle and Magic Bounce, turning them into premier support Pokémon.
:gyarados:
Gyarados get a lot of stuff from Magikarp, including Jet Punch, Wave Crash, Regenerator, Close Combat and Adaptability, and then it gets even more stuff from Pelipper like Drizzle, Knock Off, Roost, Brave Bird and U-Turn.

Last edited:
:sv/slither-wing:

Slither Wing gets Megahorn, Guts, Moxie, Swords Dance, and Spikes from Heracross.

:sv/scream-tail:

Scream Tail gets Magic Bounce from Hatterene, and Teleport, Wisp, and Knock from Gardevoir.

:sv/chien-pao:

Weavile lost Knock and Triple Axel in the generational shift, but it retains the Beat Up it was so feared for last gen, and now Mega Weavile gets Beat Up too.

:sv/tauros-paldea:

Last Stand from Falinks and Rage Fist from Primeape sounds very strong.

:sv/polteageist:

+2 252 Atk Polteageist Last Respects vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 288-339 (73 - 86%)

ban last respects

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you want a name that directly refers to the mechanic, something like "Typepool" could work if it doesn't sound too weird.
Anyway, it seems fun, will you use restrictions or only bans? As in Shell Smash can't be used by Iron Bundle but Cloyster can still use it.
And if this works like STABmons, that means every mono typed Pokémon get access to every move naturally learned by Arceus and Arceus gets every move naturally learned by mono typed Pokémon, right?
:tauros:
Tauros (Kanto) seems like it could be really good once it gets released, gaining Maushold's signature moves, all of Arceus moves, and powerful abilities like Guts, Quick Feet, Stakeout and Technician.
:eevee:
Another tier with Boomburst Sylveon is always welcome. All the eeveelutions seem great, they get pretty much every coverage move they could wish for, the abilities already mentioned for Tauros on top of some stuff they get from their own types, like Jolteon gets Electric Surge, Espeon gets Speed Boost, Leafeon gets Poison Heal, Vaporeon gets Unaware and Regenerator, Flareon gets Drought. Other stuff they all get includes Intimidate, Tidy Up, Roost, U-Turn, Rapid Spin, Nasty Plot, Swords Dance and Belly Drum.
:rotom-fan:
Rotom-Fan may actually be good here, it gets Quiver Dance, Volt Absorb, Roost, Taunt and Hurricane, but not much coverage other than Icy Wind.
:copperajah:
Copperajah seems quite strong, gaining Steely Spirit, Close Combat, SD and a lot of other great moves like Shed Tail, kind of want Melmetal to come back to do it better (and Kinklang to add Shift Gear).
:charizard:
The semi-official mascot gets access to Quiver Dance, Eruption, Drought and Earth Power thanks to Oricorio and Torkoal, it may not be just a meme.
:annihilape:
Ape gains No Retreat and Guts, may even more stuff if it can get stuff from Arceus-Fighting once it becomes legal, Recover would be a very big deal.
:gardevoir: :hatterene: :scream tail:
The Fairy/Psychic get to share Teleport, Stealth Rock, Nuzzle and Magic Bounce, turning them into premier support Pokémon.
:gyarados:
Gyarados get a lot of stuff from Magikarp, including Jet Punch, Wave Crash, Regenerator, Close Combat and Adaptability, and then it gets even more stuff from Pelipper like Drizzle, Knock Off, Roost, Brave Bird and U-Turn.
Abilities were not intended to be passed through evolutions though, it's a bit weirder than moves, but if it makes sense I can see it.

I like this a lot. You can come up with some many potent combinations with some pokemon. I feel like monotype pokemon might have an edge here because there are an abundance of them. I would play this and it would be some fun teambuilding.

Some stuff like giving legendary abilities or moves could be an issue. Lots of balancing needs to be done but those problems can be looked past.

As for your questions,

Convergence is a cool name. I would’ve named it Type Bridge as a counterpart to Ability Bridge cause im lazy.

I think the preevo stuff like STABmons should be fine. It also kinda fits into the name better.
Assuming I'm understanding this correctly and Prevos don't pass on their convergent moves, this metagame looks super fun. Obviously there's bans to be made but the idea is super solid.

:xy/great-tusk: :xy/slither-wing: Time Capsule :xy/iron-moth: :xy/iron-treads:

Heres my gen9 OM idea! Any pokemon can travel forward or back through time!

Metagame premise. Pokemon put a Paradox mon that they share a typing with as their name: if they do, they get that mon's highest 2 stats and access to their movepool!

(In the situation that mons top 2 stats tie across 3 stats (such as Flutter Mane), the priority is left to right. This meta grants Spa and Spdef in Flutter Mane's case.)

the paradox mons: all mons with Protosynthesis or Quark Drive as an ability. Doesnt include Miraidon and Koraidon

:great-tusk:- Ground and Fighting types: 131 Atk, 131 Def
:scream-tail:- Fairy and Psychic types: 115 Hp, 115 SpD
:brute-bonnet:- Grass and Dark types: 111Hp, 127 Atk
:flutter-mane:- Ghost and Fairy types:135 SpA, 135 SpD
:slither-wing:- Bug and Fighting types: 135 Atk, 105 SpD
:sandy-shocks:- Electric and Ground types: 121 SpA, 101 Spe
:roaring-moon:- Dragon and Dark types: 139 Atk, 119 Spe

:iron-treads:- Ground and Steel types: 112 Atk, 120 Def
:iron-bundle:- Ice and Water types: 124 SpA, 136 Spe
:iron-hands:- Electric and Fighting types: 154 Hp, 140 Atk
:iron-jugulis:- Dark and Flying types: 122 SpA, 108 Spe
:iron-moth:- Fire and Poison types: 140 SpA, 110 SpD
:iron-thorns:- Rock and Electric types: 134 Atk, 110 Def
:iron-valiant:- Fairy and Fighting types: 130 Atk, 120 SpA

Potential bans and threats.

It'll be an OU metagame, so the 2 box legends and Flutter Mane etc are banned. But Flutter Mane/Iron Bundle can still be used as a name.
Potential ban: Brute Bonnet (name)- Ruination Pokemon all appreciate Spore- even Chi Yu can be a hassle despite it not gaining anything from the atk stat. This could be a real chore to answer, especially for Chi Yu and Chien Pao.
Annihilape- has some disgusting names like Iron Hands or Slither Wing- granting it monster stats or 50% recovery respectively. It could prove too much to deal with

Ability bans: Pure Power, Huge Power, Eviolite (and any other standard ability ban from stat swappng and inheriting metas)

Example:
:xy/Indeedee:
Scream Tail (Indeedee) (M) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

Scream Tail grants Indeedee 115 HP, and 115 Spdef. Whats more it gains access to a ton of useful moves like Boomburst, SR, Wish, Fire Blast etc. Now it can be a threatening terrain setter, wall, hazard setter and more! Other mons that might appreciate Scream Tails boosts include Dachsbun and Azumarill, both becoming monster checks/counters to Chi-Yu.

:xy/clodsire:
Great Tusk (Clodsire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic
- Knock Off

A monster all-purpose wall, Clod is sitting on newfound 131 Atk and Def stats and an amazing support movepool. Knock Off and Rapid Spin are big additions, and it also gains a bunch of useful physical attacks like Ice Spinner off of its huge Atk stat. Definitely customizable to any and all situations.

:xy/tauros-paldea-fire:
Iron Hands (Tauros-Paldea-Fire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Raging Bull
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

This is one of the options to survive Chien Pao with Roaring Moon's atk stat. An amazing spread of 154/140/105/30/70/100 with Intimidate barely has any flaws, and it can act as a good Intimidate pivot for sure.

:xy/tinkaton:
Iron Valiant (Tinkaton) @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gigaton Hammer
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

What were you saying about Unaware? Mold Breaker Tinkaton can obliterate walls like Clodsire with its nuclear damage Gigaton Hammer off of 130 Atk, threatening an ohko at +2 on a 130Hp 130Def wall fully invested... The meta is full of offensive threats, so beware!

Questions for the community.

-What are some busted mons to look out for?
-Its clear that names like Iron Hands and Brute Bonnet provides so much value that you could easily use them 2 or 3 times on a team. Do you agree that a Name Clause (only 1 of each name per team) would lead to better play?
-Can Paradox pokemon take the names of other Paradox pokemon eg Iron Hands (Iron Valiant)?
-Is there any value in allowing Ubers, but in a restricted manner (they cant be named anything else)?

Last edited:

KaenSoul

Community Leader
:xy/great-tusk: :xy/slither-wing: Time Capsule :xy/iron-moth: :xy/iron-treads:

Heres my gen9 OM idea! Any pokemon can travel forward or back through time!

Metagame premise. Pokemon put a Paradox mon that they share a typing with as their name: if they do, they get that mon's highest 2 stats and access to their movepool!

(In the situation that mons top 2 stats tie across 3 stats (such as Flutter Mane), the priority is left to right. This meta grants Spa and Spdef in Flutter Mane's case.)

the paradox mons: all mons with Protosynthesis or Quark Drive as an ability. Doesnt include Miraidon and Koraidon

:great-tusk:- Ground and Fighting types: 131 Atk, 131 Def
:scream-tail:- Fairy and Psychic types: 115 Hp, 115 SpD
:brute-bonnet:- Grass and Dark types: 111Hp, 127 Atk
:flutter-mane:- Ghost and Fairy types:135 SpA, 135 SpD
:slither-wing:- Bug and Fighting types: 135 Atk, 105 SpD
:sandy-shocks:- Electric and Ground types: 121 SpA, 101 Spe
:roaring-moon:- Dragon and Dark types: 139 Atk, 119 Spe

:iron-treads:- Ground and Steel types: 112 Atk, 120 Def
:iron-bundle:- Ice and Water types: 124 SpA, 136 Spe
:iron-hands:- Electric and Fighting types: 154 Hp, 140 Atk
:iron-jugulis:- Dark and Flying types: 122 SpA, 108 Spe
:iron-moth:- Fire and Poison types: 140 SpA, 110 SpD
:iron-thorns:- Rock and Electric types: 134 Atk, 110 Def
:iron-valiant:- Fairy and Fighting types: 130 Atk, 120 SpA

Potential bans and threats.

It'll be an OU metagame, so the 2 box legends and Flutter Mane etc are banned. But Flutter Mane/Iron Bundle can still be used as a name.
Potential ban: Brute Bonnet (name)- Ruination Pokemon all appreciate Spore- even Chi Yu can be a hassle despite it not gaining anything from the atk stat. This could be a real chore to answer, especially for Chi Yu and Chien Pao.
Annihilape- has some disgusting names like Iron Hands or Slither Wing- granting it monster stats or 50% recovery respectively. It could prove too much to deal with

Ability bans: Pure Power, Huge Power, Eviolite (and any other standard ability ban from stat swappng and inheriting metas)

Example:
:xy/Indeedee:
Scream Tail (Indeedee) (M) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

Scream Tail grants Indeedee 115 HP, and 115 Spdef. Whats more it gains access to a ton of useful moves like Boomburst, SR, Wish, Fire Blast etc. Now it can be a threatening terrain setter, wall, hazard setter and more! Other mons that might appreciate Scream Tails boosts include Dachsbun and Azumarill, both becoming monster checks/counters to Chi-Yu.

:xy/clodsire:
Great Tusk (Clodsire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic
- Knock Off

A monster all-purpose wall, Clod is sitting on newfound 131 Atk and Def stats and an amazing support movepool. Knock Off and Rapid Spin are big additions, and it also gains a bunch of useful physical attacks like Ice Spinner off of its huge Atk stat. Definitely customizable to any and all situations.

:xy/tauros-paldea-fire:
Iron Hands (Tauros-Paldea-Fire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Raging Bull
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

This is one of the options to survive Chien Pao with Roaring Moon's atk stat. An amazing spread of 154/140/105/30/70/100 with Intimidate barely has any flaws, and it can act as a good Intimidate pivot for sure.

:xy/tinkaton:
Iron Valiant (Tinkaton) @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gigaton Hammer
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

What were you saying about Unaware? Mold Breaker Tinkaton can obliterate walls like Clodsire with its nuclear damage Gigaton Hammer off of 130 Atk, threatening an ohko at +2 on a 130Hp 130Def wall fully invested... The meta is full of offensive threats, so beware!

Questions for the community.

What do u think? What are some busted mons to look out for?
So is like Mix and Mega but with Paradoxes instead, that sounds neat.
A detail on the ban list, OM are independent of the OU banlist or any other tier (unlike CAP that is required to be OU+), you should be doing tiering based on the environment of the format you are creating and anything any other tier does should have no effect on it unless the premise requires it (like Godly Gift and Tier Shift that directly make use of usage based tier list and even then they can have their own bans).
For example, you could unban Palafin as form change mechanics could overwrite the gimmick, forcing Hero to return to its regular stats, but you may still want it banned because of added movepool options.
You must also realize that this format would have a much higher power level than OU, so stuff that may be broken in a standard tier could be much more balanced here.
Something Mix and Mega does that you could make use of is restrictions, where a Pokémon may not be banned from the Tier at first, but instead just "Restricted" from making use of the mechanic, something like Chi-Yu would be way less scary if it can't time travel like the other Pokémon found in the format.
Also, a rule you should totally include is restricting Paradoxes from the mechanic, so you don't allow people to fuse them, mostly because it doesn't work with the flavor of the tier as they already went through the time traveling process, and could make your job easier if we receive new Paradoxes in a DLC or new game, as we would end with more Paradoxes per type. But mostly a flavor thing in the end.
Speaking of flavor and paradoxes, you may want to not use "Paradoxes are those with Quark Drive/Protosynthesis" as your rule, and instead have "Pokémon that have Paradox as their species in the Pokédex" and just ban Koraidon and Miraidon from the pool, why? because you can't predict what Game Freak could do with Paradoxes in the future, we may have new Paradoxes that share a new ability or have regular Pokémon with Quark Drive as their ability, it is better to just follow the Pokédex as what is listed there as Paradox is officially a Paradox. Fuck it, you could actually keep Koraidon as a donnor legal for a while, as most fighting and dragon types already have a similar Atk and would mostly just use it for the Speed that is lower than what Iron Bundle gives.
Well, good luck, I like the idea.

Last edited:
'Max inheritance' (name needs work maybe something gift)

So in this metagame, it's like godly gift, except you don't have a 'god' on the team and its the best Stat of each Mon's first type. For example, a Dragon type in the speed slot would get pults speed.
Banlist: the box Art Legends, maybe flutter mane since only 2 stats are bad and blims HP makes it crazy
Questions for community: any other mons that should be on the banlist or donor banlist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)