Monoteams

I have a mono-flying team and a mono fighting team saved on my computer. They arent really serious but are more gimmicky sets that you would normally never use. Well, the mono-fight was semi-serious. But they are fun to make at least. I don't think Psychic should be that high on the list. Especially with the presence of moves like Pursuit and Sucker Punch. Its overall a pretty terrible type anymore.

I have a mono-flying team and a mono fighting team saved on my computer. They arent really serious but are more gimmicky sets that you would normally never use. Well, the mono-fight was semi-serious. But they are fun to make at least. I don't think Psychic should be that high on the list. Especially with the presence of moves like Pursuit and Sucker Punch. Its overall a pretty terrible type anymore.
I was on the verge of making a mono-flying team. I ended up just making a Tailwind team instead b/c it's 3 times more unique and I prefer doubles.

I still want to make mono-flying, but how would you deal w/ SR? You either run Scarf Delibird or have a "wild card" (I would prefer to run 100% flying types, though)....

I used mono ice for the mono torney and I am in R2 currently.
It's underated.
lol. As I mentioned above w/ mono-flying, how do you get rid of SR? Counter Weavile is the greatest anti-lead I have used so far, but It can't stop Aerodactyl.....

Airfoil yes it can. Fake Out + Ice Shard KOs with Life Orb.

Mono-fighting is not only viable, but fucks up many OU teams. Fighting is weak to Psychic and Flying. Virtually unused in OU.

Fighting can pair with Ice, Dark, Ghost or Rock and pull off near perfect coverage. Fighting itself gets Close Combat to muscle through anything that doesn't resist it and Super Effective moves on what does. It also gets a great selection of pokemon.

Lucario, Infernape, Hariyama, Poliwrath, Breloom, Machamp, Hitmontop, Heracross and Gallade are all usable in OU and pretty much any other fighter also works.

Mono-Normal is likely the toughest team one will ever try to assemble. Here's what I have so far (note adherence to the Item Clause):

-Staraptor @ Choice Scarf, Adamant, Intimidate
EVs: 252 ATK, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Brave Bird, Close Combat, Quick Attack, U-turn

Choice Scarf Staraptor is amazing on paper for a lead. STAB Brave Bird and Close Combat are staples for an offensive build, U-turn lets it scram if the initial matchup is unfavorable (not to mention break Focus Sash), and STAB Quick Attack is probably something most teams won't expect to allow it to play the role of a revenge killer if it U-Turned earlier.

-Girafarig @ Choice Band, Jolly, Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Zen Headbutt, Crunch, Body Slam, Earthquake

Textbook Physical Choice, basically. STAB Zen Headbutt is what the doctor ordered to go up against Gengar and Machamp that would otherwise try to run the table. Earthquake is your answer for things like T-Tar and Jirachi (note that Inner Focus stops the latter's Iron Head/Serene Grace combo cold, as well as every Fake Out user), STAB Body Slam is for use against speedy bastards when you're not worried about Guts, and Crunch is a generic catch-all (Rotom especially, who tends to give Staraptor fits) with a chance to lower defense one stage.

-Bibarel @ Expert Belt, Careful, Unaware
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
Waterfall, Super Fang, Superpower, Rock Climb

The classic Bulky Beaver EV distribution, but there the similarity ends. Super Fang dents anything that isn't a Ghost-type, after which Superpower can usually win it, as the majority of monsters you'll want to use this combo on are Rock, Steel, or Blissey. Unaware helps Bibarel bash through screens, STAB Waterfall is a kill move of choice (if it comes in on Castform's rain, it gets even better!), and STAB Rock Climb not only packs more accuracy than Stone Edge or Fire Blast, it has a confusion chance as well. A special sweeper like Gengar that packs TBolt can probably OHKO this thing, however.

-Porygon-Z @ Life Orb, Modest, Adaptability
EVs: 128 HP, 252 SpA, 128 Spe
Tri Attack, Dark Pulse, HP Fighting, Agility

Playing this set is quite easy: After one Agility, the only way to get a solid hit in edgewise is with Scizor's Bullet Punch (or the odd STAB Mach Puncher). Tri Attack is your bread and butter, with the other two moves are saved for anticipated switches to Ghost-types and Rock or Steel-types, respectively. This thing should never be in the fray for more than 3 turns, however, and should only be switched into an attack if Wish is impending (see the next entry).

-Blissey @ Leftovers, Timid, Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Spe
Wish, Seismic Toss, Protect, Toxic

Seriously, who didn't see this coming? Protect scouts a counter and buys a turn for Wish (which Porygon-Z will appreciate tremendously), Toxic lets it spread status around, and Seismic Toss is for when you NEED to attack to finish off a would-be sweeper.

-Castform @ Damp Rock, Modest, Forecast
EVs: 80 Def, 252 SpA, 176 Spe
Rain Dance, Weather Ball, Thunder, Ice Beam

I'll admit, this guy's something of a gimmick, but there is no better counter for weather teams at the moment. Ideally, you want to switch it into rainy conditions so it can start nailing the foe right away, but just in case, it packs its own Rain Dance. With the wet stuff coming down, STAB Weather Ball has a staggering BP of 300, which will usually either OHKO or force a switch unless the foe has Water Absorb. Ice Beam is a check for Dragon and Grass types as well as something to hit Quagsire with, and Thunder's perfect accuracy in rain combined with the same paralysis chance as Body Slam makes it incredible for hammering any non-Ground or the odd Electric such as Electivire, Jolteon or Lanturn (the last one with Volt Absorb) on the switch, as well as frying all but Quagsire that try the Water Absorb trick. A Rain Dish/Leftovers Ludicolo is something to look out for, however.

I almost have a mono-water team, but there's that Toxicroak sitting there soaking up surfs and rain.
I guess Poliwrath would work just as well, though.
I think the coolest part is that if you have a mono-type team registered to a trainer card in PBR, you can use a special type-specific trainer title.

-Porygon-Z @ Life Orb, Modest, Adaptability
EVs: 128 HP, 252 SpA, 128 Spe
Tri Attack, Dark Pulse, HP Fighting, Agility

Playing this set is quite easy: After one Agility, the only way to get a solid hit in edgewise is with Scizor's Bullet Punch (or the odd STAB Mach Puncher). Tri Attack is your bread and butter, with the other two moves are saved for anticipated switches to Ghost-types and Rock or Steel-types, respectively. This thing should never be in the fray for more than 3 turns, however, and should only be switched into an attack if Wish is impending (see the next entry).
well I've used agility pz a lot and I can definitely tell you that download is the better ability because of all the sweepers using -SpD natures and the fact that defensive pokemon not named blissey tend to be more physically inclined (celebi, skarm, pert, rotom, vaporeon, etc). without it, its other 2 attacks just don't pack enough punch. Also, ice beam/hp ground are usually better secondary moves because without them sp. def skarmory and jirachi just shit all over you (the only reason you would ever use dark pulse is for rotom which max hp variants take 70-83% from download LO ice beam. hp ground still does a respectable 65-77% to scarftar)

I am a fiend for some mono-type teams. I've done a lot of them, but not all. Fighting was easily my favorite and I still use it sometimes today. The other have pretty much faded to the back of the box.

Problems:
Electric is very good at getting turns to set things up, but doesn't have much to set up (charge beam, agility zapdos, meditate electrivire).
Grass was too stally for me. I guess it's a benefit for some.
Normal was too gimmicky, and revolved around me using bellydrum + pass smergle to Tauros.
I wanted to do rock, but the lack of special attackers put me off.
Steel was far too easy

I was on the verge of making a mono-flying team. I ended up just making a Tailwind team instead b/c it's 3 times more unique and I prefer doubles.

I still want to make mono-flying, but how would you deal w/ SR? You either run Scarf Delibird or have a "wild card" (I would prefer to run 100% flying types, though)....

lol. As I mentioned above w/ mono-flying, how do you get rid of SR? Counter Weavile is the greatest anti-lead I have used so far, but It can't stop Aerodactyl.....
I ran and laddered a bit with a mono fly for fun. My team was Aerodactyl (lead), Salamence (mixmance), Gyarados (dd offensive), Gliscor (baton pass/support), Moltres (specs), Yanmega (life orb 4 atk).

It honestly was a 50/50. What I noticed was;
*If your opponent can get rocks up, you lose. Have some taunters.
*Always, always taunt first move with lead dactyl. Like I said, rocks up and you lose.
*Bolt-Beam is common and on fast pokemon like Starmie is a huge problem.

I thought being more on the physical side would be better so maybe replace yanmega for someone like Honchkrow would help and you could sucker punch starmie/scarf pursuit.

My two cents.

Mono ice = your basic n00b hail team, no? Abomasnow, Froslass, Glaceon, Mamoswine, Walrein, and maybe Fridge Rotom as the wild card!

Mono-water for me would be Swampert, Gyarados, Ludicolo, Kingdra... wow, so few weaknesses!
You're saying its "n00b" like its easy to run in any tier like the n00b friendly Water type >_>... Ice is hard and hell to use because as soon as they see your lead they know whats up and proceed to try and setup on you. Because Ice is probably overall the worse type your depending on your Pokemon's other type for any sort of resistance, and even then Ice types are fragile so your always on your toes using this as every move needs to count as you couldn't take many hits before but with SR always floating around, sand streamers looking to ruin everything its not too hard to get OHKOed by a well placed move.

Abomasnow, Froslass, Cloyster, Mamoswine, Walrein, Regice

Used this for months learning competitive DP. There where plenty of times where my Babari Regice lured an overconfident BP Scizor in and KOed with HP Fire, where people mistake it for a hail stall team and I setup and swept and other times I just got destroyed. The life and death feel of this team was always made it fun.

Coincidentally my current team is mono, but its mono mineral so I'm not restricting myself to just one type but three.

Try not to let SR get set up. I hardly ever run a spinner; feels like a waste of a Pokemon.
It's not as easy as it sounds, though.....You can either counter Aerodactyl, or counter everything but. The only thing fast enough to stop SR/Taunt from opposing Aerodactyl is Electrode, who is destroyed by all other leads, doesn't really set anything up besides rain, and would not make it a mono-flying. All you can do is run Jolly Aerodactyl and speed tie, and I don't get very lucky (why I don't play the TCG).

It honestly was a 50/50. What I noticed was;
*If your opponent can get rocks up, you lose. Have some taunters.
*Always, always taunt first move with lead dactyl. Like I said, rocks up and you lose.
*Bolt-Beam is common and on fast pokemon like Starmie is a huge problem.
lol, The Flying type is very variant, as you proved w/ your team.

Mono ground is one of the easiest ones to run.
The one i have is:

Hippowdon lead
CB Swampert
Bulky SD Gliscor
LO Dugtrio (dunno why i have this one)
Curse Rhyperior
Special Nidoking

Hippowdon provides you a useful Sandtorm.
Curse Rhyperior is freaking hard to take down, and takes laughable damage from almost anything.
Nidoking is one of the only ground pokes that can use special attacks effectively.
Swampert or Quagsire are mandatory for water neutrality/immunity.
As does Gliscor for grass neutrality.

I'm in the process of making a Psychic monoteam, with no wild card, after reading this thread. Don't feel like going and making a full RMT, just thought i would share my progress here and mention that I'm having a blast making it, and learning about some pokemon that probably shouldn't have NU status.

Jynx (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Forewarn
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Counter
- Ice Beam

My favorite lead with this team so far. Who cares about stealth rocks when none of your team are really weak to it, and you have wish? Plus the opprotunities for this to scout the opponents team, as well as sometimes taking out 2 or more of them, are just worth it.
---
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 162 Atk/100 Def/148 Spd/100 SDef
Docile nature (neutral)
- Wish
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Fire Punch
- Cosmic Power

Tanky, brings out the enemies tank killers. Also acts as a good counter to dragon dancers, which were giving me problems.
---
Girafarig (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Return
- Zen Headbutt

Shadow Ball immunity is appreciated, and the choice band makes it a safe switch into Rotoms that come in on Cressy.
---
Celebi @ Flame Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/80 Def/176 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Trick
- U-turn
- Recover
- Psychic

Bait and disables ttar, and scizor, and many other physical attackers that can give Cressy trouble.
---
Gardevoir (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Trace
EVs: 244 HP/252 Def/14 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Survives CB Adamant Scizor bullet punch, and kos back with hp fire, survives Scarfed ttars crunch+stealth rocks+one turn of sand stream and kos back with focus blast. Trick offers yet another way to cripple problematic pokes.
---
Cresselia (F) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/4 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Psychic

Star of the team, sets up on blisseys. Only problem is the slow nature of it's sweep invites crit hax, but some things are hard to avoid.
---

There are a ton of options I'm considering (psych up, syncronize, psychic has a ton of fun looking options). It's actually surprising how much I'm learning about making a team by taking this challenge. I'd recommend everyone do it.
EDIT: I just remembered I stole and modified the Girafarig set mentioned by Unbreakable, and Megamaster37 Jirachi set from the New and Unique moveset thread. Credit where credit is due. Thanks guys for being awesome! Otherwise I think the sets are either tweaked (or flat out copied) from the stratagey dex. I did do the EVs and move list for Gardevoir mostly on my own though. I'm really happy about that one.

I have several mono normal teams, I've had most success with:

Smeargle@Choice Scarf ~ Trick/Spore/Rapid Spin/Whirlwind
Porygon2@Leftovers ~ Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Thunder Wave/Recover
Snorlax@Leftovers ~ Curse/Fire Punch/Return/Rest
Miltank@Leftovers ~ Milk Drink/Heal Bell/Counter/Stealth Rock
Staraptor@Choice Band ~ Brave Bird/Return/Close Combat/U Turn
Togekiss@Lum Berry ~ Nasty Plot/Air Slash/Aura Sphere/Roost

Infernape is horrible. Miltank can switch in on fire blast and follow with use counter, but if he SDs I can only revenge him. Snorlax deals with him well after a few curses. Togekiss is bulky enough to counter him most of the time though.

lol..i actually did use scarf delibird to spin. i also had SD skarmory for my sweeper.

I run a few different mono-ice teams, and I've had my fair share of success in doubles. Less emphasis on entry hazards + double-targeting Blizzard = yes please. Walrein + Water Absorb Curse Lapras and similar combos have also paid dividends more often than not.

I also do okay in singles as long as Scarfed Heatran doesn't show up. Guy knocks out 5 of my singles team without any resistance unless I get lucky with Snow Cloak.

In general though, I was surprised that I had an easier time with mono-ice than some other types I've toyed with considering how poor ice is defensively. Permahail is a great thing to have.

Every times I see the phrase "wild card" in this thread a part of me dies.
Haha yeah. Totally defeats the point imo.

I'd have to say Ice is the easiest thing to mono. Since you can permahail, you get a field advantage right away, and unlike Sandstorm + Rock, your best "weathered" pokemon are in your type - Sandstorm screams for Steels and Grounds to be used on your team. Hail doesn't have that problem. Plus, StallRein is cooool.

I made a sick Flying-mono team at one point, back when smogon tried to do the gym leader thing. Back when Aero leads weren't popular so no one expected what mine was doing. ^_^'

I think otherwise I had mence, gliscor, skarmory, gyarados, and zapdos.

mono grass is a bitch, do you think having Torterra just to set up SR is worth it? I mean, it has a 4x ice weakness and if it's setting up SR it's gonna take a support role. This is what I've attempted so far:

Roserade@Focus Sash: Spikes, HP Ground, Energy Ball, TS(Used to have Sludge Bomb)
Sceptile@Expert Belt: Leaf Storm, Focus Blast, Dragon Pulse, HP Ice
Ludicolo@Leftovers: Rain Dance, Leech Seed, Surf, Sub
Shaymin@Leftovers: Leech seed, Aromatherapy, Seed Flare, Rest
Breloom@Toxic Orb: Spore, Sub, Focus Punch, Stone Edge
Venusaur@Black Sludge: EQ, Sludge Bomb, Energy Ball, Leech seed

I've found that Shaymin is a waste of slot, maybe I should make it a special sweeper. Calm Ludicolo is my Fire "resist", it sets up RD so that it weakens fire moves and to stall some. This are other options I've thought of:

Phys Shiftry
Phys wall Torterra
Phys Venusaur
Spec Shaymin

Any suggestions?

Celebi can also set up SR.

Mono-fighting is fun to do, although you really start getting annoyed when someone has Rhotom, Gyarados, and Gliscor on their team.

When I made my mono-Flying team, I avoided all the Flying-types that weren't birds (or at least the ones that didn't have wings). It was pretty tough to find special attackers on a Fighting team. Pretty much Lucario had to be forced to work as the special attacker. I threw Blaziken and Toxicroak in the same boat. 3-3 thing is fine since most people don't battle like Shoddy people where physical is supreme.

Water and Ground were the hardest for me. Water had so many Pokemon I like to choose from so it was hard to decide. Ground was the opposite. Finding a good special attacker for that team was difficult. You have only have Gastrodon and Camerupt that have above average SpAtt.

Because Ice is probably overall the worse type your depending on your Pokemon's other type for any sort of resistance
Sorry, had to stop right there. Ice may be bad, but it's no Bug mono team. Having almost every member weak to Stealth Rock is just the beginning, since having a very limited pool of good pokemon, as well as other common weaknesses makes it almost impossible to pull off. Either way, it's fun if you play it right, though.

I would say it was even worse than Dragon mono, but with the banning of Latias and soon to be Salamence, you're forced to use NFE pokemon for that in OU. Ugh. Altaira's better than most people give her credit for, though. I used her as a scarf-anti lead and got a lot of surprise kills. Not too bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)