Monoteams

I'm going to use an AR and try going through SoulSilver with a full Steel team, my fav type. I'll just use it to assemble my team at the start. (In basic forms, lower level than 5 all for balance reasons)

Team will probably be something like: Bastiodon (Starter), Metagross, Steelix, Aggron, Magnezone and Skarmory

It'll be a good test for viability of the team.

I want to fight anyone who endorses this wild card crap; it's downright infuriating. You're either a monoteam or you aren't.

Anyway, i'm not sure where all the hate for ghost is coming from. You've got a great lead in froslass, two pokemon with no weaknesses, a great sweeper in mismagius that can even kill blissey, bulk in rotom and dusknoir, great movepools, complete immunity to rapid spin, a whole lot of will-o-wisp, and destiny bond. My ghost team tore shit up and even beat runningwithscizor's legendary bug team in an epic battle.

no offence but who is this runningwithscizor? and what is his legendary bug team because I could've beaten you easy if you had that team .... what don't you understand about Scizor and Yanmega.... I can see where your coming from but please don't take it as far as it can beat a bug mono team because in the hands of a decent player bug always wins well steel as well but steel is always banned.

I don't remember his team. How could I? He was a smogon member whose name I don't remember by the way.

And it's not like i'm calling myself an amazing player or anything. I won one battle against him. So what? I'm not really sure what you're upset about.

-Best-
Psychic
Poison
Water
Normal
-Adequate-
Steel
Fire
Ground
Ice
Flying
-Poor-
Electric
Rock
Grass
Dark
-Worst-
Dragon*
Ghost
Bug

*Unless you permit pokemon like Charizard (looks like a dragon) or are playing in Ubers, monotyping Dragon is impossible.
The problem I have with this list is that you think Dragons are impossible to play with unless you play with Charizard. Does Charizard really make that much of a difference?

@Revolution-Z: Gonna have to agree with you.

Monoteams

-Best-
Psychic
Poison
Water
Normal
-Adequate-
Steel
Fire
Ground
Ice
Flying
-Poor-
Electric
Rock
Grass
Dark
-Worst-
Dragon*
Ghost
Bug
Please don't be an idiot you clearly haven't used all the types idiot because if you can put Bug down there and Ghost and even Dragon your the biggest dumbass noob ever. Adequate Steel??? This thread is a joke right? You do realise in some MonoTourneys Steel is banned because it is so good right???? Haha Psychic. Bug and Steel easily in best and Dragon and Ghost easily in Adequate or even Best

Pure and utter idiot who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Dragon is poor because you have no options. There are six non-legendary Dragon species, one of which is Uber and another of which may soon join him. That and Dragonite, Flygon, Salamence, and Garchomp tend to fill similar roles anyway (hit hard, hit fast, and little else).

When I tinkered with a mono-Dragon team for a little while, Altaria ended up being my MVP because it was the only one who was clearly built for handling tasks that the other Dragons just can't do.

That tier listing is incredibly stupid - Steel, Ghost, and Bug are three of the best monotypes, and he's got two of them as 'worst' - but maybe you should chill with the insults a bit.

Steel mono-teams are banned in mono-team competitions because if you have, for example, a Grass team, you won't be able to do anything to any of the opponent's Pokemon. That won't be a problem when the mono-Steel goes against a normal mixed team. He put them as adequate because Steel-types aren't as diverse as the ones labeled "Best."

Grass teams can always carry Earth Power (Celebi, Shaymin), EQ (Torterra, Sceptile) or HP Fire (anything) against mono steel .
Breloom is a nightmare for steel teams to face too IMO.
Not to sat Leech Seed to add in some annoyance.

Heatran is the problem: Ludicolo and Cradily are the only answers. If they fall, Heatran is going to be hard to take down...

That, of course, without conidering wild cards (which is how monoteams are supposed to be. I mean, they are monoteams...).

Scizor would rip a Grass team apart though. If you have Empoleon for protection against fire attacks, then there's not much they can do unless they have great prediction.

Dragon is poor because you have no options. There are six non-legendary Dragon species, one of which is Uber and another of which may soon join him. That and Dragonite, Flygon, Salamence, and Garchomp tend to fill similar roles anyway (hit hard, hit fast, and little else).

When I tinkered with a mono-Dragon team for a little while, Altaria ended up being my MVP because it was the only one who was clearly built for handling tasks that the other Dragons just can't do.
Now that Latias and Mence are theroretically gone I will have to agree with you but before I would strongly disagree. Ok you want me to give you a team of six? Dragonite, Flygon, Mence, Kingdra, Latias, Altaria.
That was before all this tier juggling. Now tell me what is wrong with that team???

It's got arguably the best typing it can take ice with kingdra and no one from other types run dragon moves they've got little coverage but are resisted by little and when a Draco Meteor is coming off a 110 Sp Atk coupled with STAB I dont think any pokemon would like to be on the recieving end.

Lead: Anti-Lead Nite
Support: Altaria
Sweeper: DD Mence
Sweeper: Kingdra
Scouter: Scarf Flygon
Sweeper/Support: Latias (Depending on Set)

Now only ice could really take this team down but scarf flygon would make a few dents in an Ice team.

Or, you know, a Scarf special-sweeper with an ice attack. Any of the legendary birds would work nicely as long as it has max Spe max SpA

So, I've been working on a Trick Room mono-Rock team--because I'm a jerk and I like to beat people with inferior Pokemon--and I'm having a little trouble with my special wall, you know, because of terrible typing. (Strangely enough, mono-Rock tends to be better against regular teams than against other mono-type teams)

My obvious choices are Shuckle and Probopass but neither of them seem to be working out particularly effectively unless I get lucky and end up fighting one of the other less versatile mono-teams.
I have been considering a Sunny Day Solrock with Careful Nature and 252-0-4-0-252-0. My reasoning is that in the Rain standard mix-sweep Kabutops does 52.9% - 62.8% with Surf and in the Sun it does a laughable 18% - 21.5% allowing me to then status or explode or whatever I feel like really.

Now, though I'm worried about Grass types to "see whut i did thar" and abuse my sunlight against me. Especially since if a Sunny Day Exeggutor comes out, even to this max SpD set a SolarBeam will do 148.3% - 175%, effectively destroying my whole team if TR is not up and still doing a huge chunk even then. Meanwhile, specialWall/support Probobass only takes 48.1% - 56.8% allowing me to put TR back up (if it is down).

Now my question is, should I use both Walls at the expense of one of my glass-cannon sweepers (i.e. probably Rampardos), should I suck it up and expect to consistently lose to either Grass or Water teams, or should I just switch in TTar like a fiend and hope that the Sandstorm boost will help enough to save me more often than not?

I think a mono Rock team would be better of with Sandstorm to boost their special defence. So you don't really need Sunny Day to lower to power of special Water moves. Regirock, Cradily and Rhyperior become beasts in Sanstorm so I suggest using one of those. Cradily only takes neutral damage from Grass and Water which is great for a Rock type monoteam.

About you Probopass and Shuckle suggestion, I would have to say no, There are a lof of bulky Rock type pokemon (like I said before, in Sandstorm) that aren't just set up fodder. You should also try to reduce your weaknesses.

For some reason I hadn't even considered using Regirock. Don't know why, stupidity I guess, thank you for the suggestion. Sandstorm ftw.

I had considered a Cradily as a staller but I don't like it very much. I'll get over it and give it a whirl and perhaps my mind will be changed but we will see what we will see. Well, I will see anyway.

Probopass should be considered on a mono rock simply because of a moron named Scarf Jirachi.
Probopass is one of the only ones able to take many hits from it, and paralizing it on the process. And t even traps Jirachi!

About mono Dragon: you're forced to use a NFE... then why not use Gabite as a lead?
It's the only dragon able to use SR, and... well, it can hit many leads for SE with it's Earthquake.

I'm gonna have to agree that Bug type mono teams are awesome. I've been using one with fairly decent results.

Yanmega
Forretress
Scizor
Heracross
Ninjask
Armaldo

Armaldo I recently added in to deal with fire type attacks. Forretress has an occa berry and exists purely to spin and explode, and lay down some hazards if he can. Heracross is scarfed and can take care of a lot of bug counters. Ninjask is just Ninjask.

Skarmory is a bitch though.

I've been using a mono-fighting team on the ladder competitively (which is easily the best mono team team in my opinion). I've tried Steel, its horribly overrated. See the thing with mono teams is that it is more important than your regular team to work together as a single unit and have a plan. Then you must also cover your ass!!! Here is what I came up with:

Infernape (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Endeavor
- Vacuum Wave
- Stealth Rock
---
Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 240 HP/16 Atk/220 Def/32 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Stun Spore
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
---
Machamp (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP/104 Atk/152 Spd
- Dynamicpunch
- Ice Punch
- Payback
- Bulk Up
---
Hitmontop (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 232 HP/244 Atk/32 Spd
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Mach Punch
---
Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SDef
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Extremespeed
- Swords Dance
---
Poliwrath (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/80 Atk/32 Spd/144 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
---

So heres the deal. Mono-fighting NEEDS stealth Rock to help vs. Flying pokemon, so Infernape was relegated to that role. Breloom has status that is good for the team so he was thrown in there. Machamp is the lure for Lucario to sweep, and Poliwrath patches up fire weaknesses while adding a late-game win condition (basically, if I eliminate your Rotom / Celebi / Zapdos, Poliwrath has a chance to win it for me even if your destroying me). Hitmontop is the safety to revenge things that may be troublesome (Infernape destroys the team for example without Hitmontop). While this team is FAR from perfect, I would estimate it wins about 2 out of 3 games.

Other things I considered after initial testing was that my Infernape set had to be tailored to beat Azelf, otherwise I could easily be 6-0ed. Also, found Double Status Breloom to be amazing because he puts something to sleep with Spore, than his main counter is usually Salamence or Gyarados or something becomes much less threatening to the team when paralyzed on the switch. Remember, everything is a unit.

With that being said, I'm working on a mono-water team with Crocune as win condition and Lanturn being that safety pokemon.. still not completely sure yet.

Hi, I'm new to making a monoteam, but I am allowed to wildcards when creating it, not just one like a normal one (for a different purpose than on Smogon). It is a normal team, by the way. Just wondering, what are some generally often used pokes on a normal monotype team?

Well, wildcards kind of defeat the purpose... For normal types I would definately start with Snorlax as your win condition pokemon, add a flier or two for Fighting annihilation like Togekiss and Staraptor.. then something to beat Ghosts, etc.

Well, wildcards kind of defeat the purpose... For normal types I would definately start with Snorlax as your win condition pokemon, add a flier or two for Fighting annihilation like Togekiss and Staraptor.. then something to beat Ghosts, etc.
Goodness. Togekiss and staraptor were both on my team. Are rotom forms good counters for ghosts?

Hi, I'm new to making a monoteam, but I am allowed to wildcards when creating it, not just one like a normal one (for a different purpose than on Smogon). It is a normal team, by the way. Just wondering, what are some generally often used pokes on a normal monotype team?
Linoone can make an exceptional sweeper, esp if you can pass him a sub.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)