NOC OC NOC GAME OVER - Now Despair

Status
Not open for further replies.
also, chin up people. take some risks. point out flaws you see with people, and then lynch. i'm on asek because of how Yikes their current play is. what buttered toast just did is great for garnering discussion, but at the end of the day Lynches Get Shit Done

Asek

Banned deucer.
There was a reason for all my votes

Haruno - first post of the game. Was seriously waiting for him to do something back which he didnt do so quickly as he usually would which is important information for me at the very least.

Acid - I was going to keep my vote here because acids post was useless spec and honestly contributed nothing to any kind of dicsussion

Aubisio - if ur gonna come into my thread and post the 'hi OwO' type nonsense im going to vote you for it. No free passes

Now why would you try discredit my votes for? I think many people looking a bit into it would see theres a reason for where i laid each of those votes. my vote is my only power and I shall use it liberally. I think those votes gave more of an insight into what I'm thinking then any of the rqs tripe that has occured elsewise

vote butteredtoast

moving this out of random rubbish stage

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
asek lean town

BT i was agreeing with your post until you started disparaging RVS

because here's the thing about RVS

yes it spams the thread with posts

but that's a good thing, especially early on

you've gotta get people posting somehow, both so you can start to generate relevant discussion and so you can begin to get a feel for people based on tone (which is definitely a thing)

the actual VOTING of RVS is meaningless but people's reactions to said votes can be very telling, assuming you know what you're looking for

that being said i'm leaning town on BT because i feel like that post came from a town-motivated standpoint, it's just... argh

There is a difference between voting to get to a point of discussion and just voting names to vote random names. Just throwing out "vote x" without reason or backing or anything does what good for discussion? There is a clear difference between a response like "Vote X" and "Vote for X because X has been acting pretty minimalist and seems to be playing things pretty safe. I've played in a few games with him before, and expect more. What's so different about this game and why aren't you being more active?"

One generates discussion, and the other is just posting to have your face on the thread. I'm not saying it's scummy, I'm just asking what does it do?

To me, most everyone (I hope) can see red flags when someone posts a "hi" post or is being minimalist. There are two reasons for that. Maybe they're being minimalist because they're mafia and want to stay in the middle of activity and inactivity to avoid attention. In this case, calling out the behavior early without seeing if it goes anywhere diminishes the effect, because they're pressured to change their behavior when it's too early to get a reading on what they're doing.

I like to observe natural behavior. Maybe that's not everyone's thing, but before we pick apart people for doing things I'd actually like them to start doing things... ya know? To do things, you need to start conversation of merit and make people answer questions. Make people give effort and be logical. Because pressing someone into a conversation that might reveal something is WAY better than just voting them without follow up. And then we can move on by pressing people on their reactions and the ball rolls from there.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
  1. Are you an active player? And if not, what can you do to change that? (TL;DR Obligatory activity reminder)
    yes unless i get some bad mafia teammate who fakeclaims cop to oust me! s/o dullahan
  2. What's the most bastard role you've ever seen in a mafia game?
    false inspector, every person I inspect shows up as mafia s/o lightwolf for being ass
  3. Which do you believe to be more effective as a scumhunting effort: Random Vote Sequence or Random Question Sequence? Why?
    voting rssp1 or twin is a surefire way to scumhunt!
  4. Out of a combined total of 100%, assign percentages to the following mafia game aspects: Scumhunting, Teamwork, Power Roles, and Luck.
    100% luck.

Now I'm waiting for some bs roles like unlynchable, unkillable, untargettable, double night kill wolf. Waitin for bs magma veil covering the hidden faction, waiting for the bullshit lie detector, etc.

I try to be active but often end up fillering because nothing constructive to say.

Most bastard role is obviously compulsive vigilante with 1-shot bulletproof and jester-aligned. Because that's totally a fun and fair role amirite.

I've never really liked random vote sequence but I can't deny that it's sometimes effective. In fact, it's especially effective if you "randomly" lynch someone with renown.

Scumhunting: 1%
teamwork: 2%
Power Roles: 3%
Luck: 4%
Winning with no idea how it happened: 89%
Rssp1: 100% of the remaining 1%

On that note let's do something productive by
Vote Acidphoenix

pffff like using RVS instead is going to prevent me from making jokes somehow.

For ButteredToast I find it quite interesting that you are very quick to answer my question to walrein for him while saying that you like to observe people's behavior.

Did you feel that walrein does not need observing?

I don't feel like answering the RQS as it would only produce yet another mix of obvious generic statement and memey joke.

Slight scumread on walrein atm because while he seems to be positively contributing to the discussion he is also giving out town reads like it's Christmas.

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
RQS is a bad strategy that is far inferior to RVS. I've actually never seen it before (probably because it's bad lol) but RVS seems superior because of the establishment of buddying / enemies and can cause less forced discussion. It's very easy for scum to respond to RQS like a townie.

I've said RVS is bad in the past but I really mean the shitposting "phase" that people get stuck on instead of real RVS... after the initial RVS you really have to move on.

Asek lean town, I think his lynches are justified and have some quality information
Neutral on Walrein, he's acting really weird though and this isn't normal Walrein so slight scum lean actually but very slight
Martin is using the "I'm new excuse" which says scum to me
acidphoenix seems like town because of post 40, which is really critical of RQS in a good way

at some point in this game I will have to not post until I post my 1k rmt

1. Are you an active player? And if not, what can you do to change that? (TL;DR Obligatory activity reminder)
I'm actually very active, I just have a hard time making sense + long posts in NOC, so I play on Showdown mostly. That's why I use "Showdown Style."

Marie Antoinette, Expert Killer and Poisoner.

Which do you believe to be more effective as a scumhunting effort: Random Vote Sequence or Random Question Sequence? Why?

RVS because I'm bad at RQS. Questions are generally more effective in the late game, when it can be easier to spot a lie.

Out of a combined total of 100%, assign percentages to the following mafia game adspects: Scumhunting, Teamwork, Power Roles, and Luck.

40%, 30%, 20%, 10%.

Original Random Question Sequence DO NOT STEAL

3. Which do you believe to be more effective as a scumhunting effort: Random Vote Sequence or Random Question Sequence? Why?
  4. Out of a combined total of 100%, assign percentages to the following mafia game aspects: Scumhunting, Teamwork, Power Roles, and Luck.
1. I'd say I'm fairly active. I can check the thread several times a day and will respond within 24 hours.
2. UncleSam's First Sexual Partner from Wayne Bradiest, I believe. As soon as it knows who to target, that person has no way to fight back.
3. RVS pressures people much more and causes strong reactions, meaning someone's more likely to slip up and look scummy, so I'll go with that.
4. More luck than Hackmons Cup. But probably 30%, 10%, 40%, 20%.

Townlean on ButteredToast.

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm experiencing physical pain from us being at 4 pages with most posts being answers to mafia trivia questions. I can see that it kinda tries to set precedents on activity people set for themselves or general preferences and thoughts about the game. But how in gods name is that gonna get us closer to lynching scum??? Even the most farfetched reasonings of people acting different to what they answered is not something I'd ever lynch someone over.

All we are gonna do is use the questions for random votes which to me means we could have skipped the entire question bit. I'm actually considering declaring my vote more serious than random simply because it's bordering on actual detriment.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
how do you contribute meaningfully at this stage? i really hate having to fall back on the "im new" stuff but I genuinely feel super lost when basically nothing's happened.

I'm not exactly sure if RQS is pointless or not but it can't hurt to at least give it a shot hahaha. I guess I'll post some questions that might be useless, might not be useless, who knows?

1. What is your typical village playstyle, and how does it differ from your mafia playstyle?
  2. If you figure out someone is mafia, whether it be through deduction or a role such as cop, how do you typically go about convincing people of it?
  3. If you get targetted, what do you feel the best method of alleviating suspicion is?
  4. Opinion of bandwagons?

At least two other people said they for some reason or another decide not to post even though they have ideas of some kind, either because they aren't coherent or they people will think it's useless or their opinion could change or whatever.

PSA: Just fucking say stuff. At the very least it helps us to hear what you have to say and while, yes, we'll be analyzing it, we'll also in general have the proper consideration of an uninformed town/new player perspective and won't judge.

I literally don't care what it is as long as people are talking and even if I don't like it I'll usually engage like I did with Knight's questions.

More detailed thoughts on players when i return from work

how do you contribute meaningfully at this stage? i really hate having to fall back on the "im new" stuff but I genuinely feel super lost when basically nothing's happened.

I'm not exactly sure if RQS is pointless or not but it can't hurt to at least give it a shot hahaha. I guess I'll post some questions that might be useless, might not be useless, who knows?

1. What is your typical village playstyle, and how does it differ from your mafia playstyle?
  2. If you figure out someone is mafia, whether it be through deduction or a role such as cop, how do you typically go about convincing people of it?
  3. If you get targetted, what do you feel the best method of alleviating suspicion is?
  4. Opinion of bandwagons?
1. Aggressive and engaging in both respects, but as mafia I'm trying to fabricate a lie as based in truthbas possible.

2. I either try to save my info and protect my claim if feasible but if I can't I pull a dossier of evidence from across the whole game to support my side of the 50-50

3. Being honest when attacked and contributing independently of the aggression on you.

4. More useful to analyze than people give them credit for. Even if town lynches a guy by themselves you can generally tell if you have an intimate understanding of the players involved.

1. Look for inconsistencies and contradictions, ask lots of questions, and pay attention to wagons and voting patterns (especially after flips). My scumplay is weaker than my Townplay, imo.
2. Stay firm with my vote and argue the non-PR-based evidence.
3. Argue from honesty and note who started it, who joined in, and who defended me. Weigh those notes against previous reads.
4. Watch them carefully, both the players who jump on (especially without a reason) and those players who avoid the wagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)