Double Battle Metagame.

Actually set ups are just as common in double as it is in single. It's just that different things are being set up. In Single (OU), the most common set up would be stealth rock or stat boosting moves like swords dance or dragon dance/calm mind, but in Double (assuming no Ubers), Rain, Trick Room or sometimes Sun are extremely common set up moves prone to be taunted.

Actually set ups are just as common in double as it is in single. It's just that different things are being set up. In Single (OU), the most common set up would be stealth rock or stat boosting moves like swords dance or dragon dance/calm mind, but in Double (assuming no Ubers), Rain, Trick Room or sometimes Sun are extremely common set up moves prone to be taunted.
Yeah, I would actually say that in doubles, it's easier to set up, which means taunting is even more common. Granted, in doubles, it's also a lot harder to tell who's setting up and who's distracting. Doubles is completely different than singles, it's a lot harder and more risky to predict.

What about this for an intro:
Togetic @ focus sash 252 def, 252 sp def
Serene Grace

Psych Up
Follow Me
Air Slash
Aura Sphere (for good measure)

Dunsparce @ leftovers 252 spd, split Def/SpDef
Serene grace

Agility
Rock Slide
Roost
Bite

The idea here is to have togekiss take both of the first attacks so dunsparce doesn't have to... once dunsparce has used agility, he'll be moderately fast... rocksliding will hit both opponents causing with a 60% rate of flinching... if togekiss survives, it psyches up and continues the flinching. Bite and aura sphere are there for good measure, basically.

Here is a doubles stratergy i've been using on wifi just for kicks, its fun to see uber noobs fall from my Bibarel

Togekiss @Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Defence
Tailwind
Swagger
Follow me
Shadow Ball

My togekiss lead is there to survive and set up tailwind, after tailwind she should be fast enough to swagger bibarel with speed and still survive any priority hits. Follow me is there to protect Bibarel so he can pull off as many big hits as possible. This togekiss is pretty susceptible to taunt but can still shadow ball some things to death if need be, shadow ball is also there to pick off pesky ghost pokemon.

Bibarel (Simple) @Lum berry
(Adament)
252 Attack / 252 HP
Protect
Last resort

Ah I love this bibarel just cause he is so much fun to use, after +4 from swagger a STAB’ed Last Resort will OHKO EVERYTHING except steel, rock and ghost types and the steel and rock types will still take a heavy hit unless they are EV’d in heavy defence. Protect on first turn while the tailwind gets set up and then he can outspeed and kill whatever was deemed as a greater threat from the first turn.

And yes i know that adding waterfall gives him good coverage i just like using Last resort as soon as possible as he is pretty fragile.

I'd say you should probably keep Lum Berry since it can cure Bibarel's Burn/Paralysis if Togekiss get killed on the first or second turn. I think the only thing you have to worry about when using Lum Berry is something like Zapdos's Discarge on the second turn Paralyzing Bibarel and activating Lum Berry before Togekiss gets Swagger off. Although, if you went with Persim Berry in that scenario, you would still have a Paralyzed Bibarel.

I'd say you should probably keep Lum Berry since it can cure Bibarel's Burn/Paralysis if Togekiss get killed on the first or second turn. I think the only thing you have to worry about when using Lum Berry is something like Zapdos's Discarge on the second turn Paralyzing Bibarel and activating Lum Berry before Togekiss gets Swagger off. Although, if you went with Persim Berry in that scenario, you would still have a Paralyzed Bibarel.
I see but one issue in your Zapdos scenario. Discharge is definitely a OHKO on bibarel.

Zapdos isn't that big a deal, but it will Discharge waaay before it Heat Waves, seeing both enemies weak to it's STAB.

Good Idea, though. I have been looking for a way to beat Noob Ubers w/ Tailwind/Gravity and you beat me to it.

After tailwind nothing except scarfed pokemon and priority moves will go before bibarel. Neither of those two tend to be using status moves and choice scarfs in doubles is pretty rare. Zapdos = threat so he usually goes down on that second turn with the last resort before he gets a chance to hit bibarel.

On the second turn the opponent has only seen protect from bibarel so they probably won't double team him so i just kill the one that seems more likely to attack bibarel before they get that chance.

Oh and since togekiss gets the tailwind speed boost as well nothing will outspeed her second turn swagger onto bibarel

I have been using this setup on PBR wifi, it works pretty well for me.

Adamant@ life orb
252 attack/252 speed
-waterfall
-stone edge
-EQ
-dragon dance

Gyarados leads and has great type coverage alongside mixmence. double intimidate can ruin other physically offensive teams and electivire can take obvious Tbolts for gyarados. DD has the potential to make gyarados a nightmare for my opponent

Naive@life orb
16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
-dragon claw
-EQ
-flamethrower
-Draco meteor

Mixmences coverage is near flawless alongside gyarados. It leads alongside gyarados for a double intimidate. Overall i think they complement each other very well. Dragon claw is superior to outrage in doubles because outrage is unpredictable after the first attack and you will find yourself locked into outrage in very bad moments. the ability for mixmence to draco meteor physically bulky pokemon and then go on using physical attacks like nothing happened is great. Mixmence can tear through poorly constructed ubers teams,especially ones that have alot of dragons.

adamant@life orb
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-cross chop
-thunder punch
-ice punch
-EQ

Evire can take obvious Tbolts for gyarados for free speed boosts and His moveset complements salamence well. Not much else to say about him.

adamant/Jolly@flame orb
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-close combat
-megahorn
-night slash
-stone edge

Heracross is my favorite physical attacker and i always manage to find a place for him on every team i make. After the guts boost heracross can take out alot of the popular legendaries that are common on WIFI. pokemon like giratina, cresselia, and ho-oh that often don't run max speed sets wont enjoy heracross. His biggest downside is that he is slow, but i can work around it.

This team has alot of trouble against fast pokemon that run both electric and ice type attacks like scarfed porygon-z and starmie. Sometimes you will get lucky and manage to save both salamence and gyarados and sometimes you wont. even worse you will sometimes be forced to switch both pokemon out. Motor drive has actually turned a lot of games around for me and heracross can take out scarfed porygon-z, but he fears starmie like the plague.

Playing around with Scizor's Technician Boosted Bug Bite, I imagine a combo where I have a Pokemon Trick/Switcheroo a Liechi/Salac Berry onto the opponent for Scizor to bite off. Scizor is slow enough that the combo would work with almost any Tricker, but do you think the combo is a bit too complicated?

Playing around with Scizor's Technician Boosted Bug Bite, I imagine a combo where I have a Pokemon Trick/Switcheroo a Liechi/Salac Berry onto the opponent for Scizor to bite off. Scizor is slow enough that the combo would work with almost any Tricker, but do you think the combo is a bit too complicated?
I would think it relatively beneficial. If this is in a lead position, then the Tricker could be faster and steal a potential Focus Sash or Leftovers. Probably would help out a little when it comes to survivability, where Scizor is free to sweep afterwards.

I might also reccomend either Agility or Swords Dance on the Scizor depending on the Berry. Also, another Poke with Psych Up is just screaming to be set up alongside Scizor.

This is a idea, i don't really know if it is possible.
But why not?

Pokemon

@ Item Focus sash
Ability Wonder guard
EV Spread 252Atk/252Spd
Nature Adament/Jolly
~ Toxic
~ Sucker Punch
~ X-Scissor
~ Protect

Pokemon

@ Item Leftovers
Ability Keen Eye
EV Spread 252SpDef/200Def/52HP
Nature Calm
~ Role Play
~ Shadow ball/Ominous Wind
~ Calm Mind/Nasty Plot
~ Psychic

The thing about this duo is: Sableye is trying to survive a hit and than is going to Role Play Shedinja to copy it's abillity and that is: Wonder Guard and because Sableye have no weakness it can not go down. You could also try a Sableye with maxed out in speed: Timed 252Spd/132SpDef/124Def

I just noticed that it could be fun to have any strong dragon type attacker get skill swaped tinted lens from venomoth. I figure that this would make it considerably harder for any steels to even stand in the way.

I never really liked the idea of 'UU Doubles'. It either implies we have tiers for Double Battles at the moment, which we certainly don't, or that the tiers from Singles apply to Doubles no problem, which they also certainly don't.

To be fair, it should be obvious that some pokemon are going to be UU, just like how some pokemon are Uber, but it's still way too early to design a team that is meant to be underused in such a young metagame.

UU Doubles does not and should not (It'll be a shithole if it does imo) ever exist. Everything with EQ/other AoE will be OU anyway. Many gimmicks would also go to OU such as funny business with cherrim etc...

Sorry. What I was meaning when I said a good UU Doubles strategy was that it would be one of the many ways that Venomoth could be used in combat. I mean, swapping Tinted Lens is brillant on a really powerful attacker like a Dragon. Might be a little broken though...

Skill Swapping anything to Slaking/Regigigas can be broken....but it isn't, so....

Does anyone here think Smogon will convert to cover Singles and Doubles when Shoddy 2 comes out, putting Skarmbliss out of business?

Highly likely. I can expect there would be a boom in support movesets in the Strategydex. Also, I would assume some heavy emphasis on moves like Follow Me and Helping Hand. Things like this can easily turn something nearly unused into a very dangerous/tricky foe.

As for teams like SkarmBliss, I can see a lot more synergized teams emerging upon Shoddy 2's release. Perhaps a new section that would reccomend good partners for certain sets. Like a TrickRoom support Bronzong being paired with a Dusknoir for Will o Wisp support and to prevent Explosion from harming a partner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)