Double Battle Metagame.

I have two strategies for a rain dance team I have but I'm not too sure which one is best these are intro strategies involve leads I won't go into Evs, and natures only basic stuff
Strategy 1:

Quilfish@Damp Rock/Focus Sash
Rain Dance
Posion Jab/Waterfall
Taunt
Explosion

Ludicolo@Leftovers
Fake out
Grass Knot
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam

Ludicolo fakes out a taunter or the most dangerous opponent and quilfish rain dances then at the next turn my oponent will be taking hydro pumps and poison jabs from my pokes I was thinkin on replacing waterfall with posion jab but water + water would be redundant, one problem I enountered while using a rain dance team is trick room teams, they are the antithesis of a rain dance team which is based on high speed, trick rooms turn the tides on the favor of my oponent after I use raindance my pokemon are so fast that they actually are so slow in TR a way to solve this is this strategy, I fake out the tr user set up rain dance then taunt it on the next turn preenting trick room while I attack it or it's partner depends how thing are going.

Strategy 2

Electrode@Damp Rock
Rain Dance
Thunder
Hp Ice
Explosion

Cleafable@Life Orb
Follow Me
Helping Hand
Meteor Mash
Feint
Cleafable uses follow me whille electrode sets up Rain Dance, after that cleafable will be like half health from the blows so she helping hands while electrode explodes clearing the field hopefully, even I end up cleaning my field(assuming I end up killing only my two pokes) I send in my good ol' Kingdra/Croak combo which on rain dance is deadly. This strategy has problems with TR teams but it allows me to get rid of the first two pokes and enter my sweepers fresh to the battle

What do you think on both strategies? Rating would be much appreciated

Highly likely. I can expect there would be a boom in support movesets in the Strategydex. Also, I would assume some heavy emphasis on moves like Follow Me and Helping Hand. Things like this can easily turn something nearly unused into a very dangerous/tricky foe.

As for teams like SkarmBliss, I can see a lot more synergized teams emerging upon Shoddy 2's release. Perhaps a new section that would reccomend good partners for certain sets. Like a TrickRoom support Bronzong being paired with a Dusknoir for Will o Wisp support and to prevent Explosion from harming a partner.
Zapchomp will be uber. I have heard it before. lol

The tiers would also have to rearranged quite a bit. W/ new support options, Pokemon like Cherrim and Slaking would at least be UU because of the new support options. Maybe in the analysis, there will be a small portion referring to good pairings w/ certain sets.

Things like Tailwind and Gravity would become very popular. Double Intimidate is increasing in popularity. lol, A Gliscor that actually runs Hyper Cutter!

Bibarel @ Focus sash/leftovers
Simple
252 HP / 212 SDef / 44 Def Impish
- Curse
- Amnesia
- waterfall/Return/Rest
- Rest/Return/waterfall

&

Roserade @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 def Adamant
- Psych up
- ingrain
- Seedbomb
- synthesis/ poison jab

First you start of with Bibarel using curse or Amnesia, which doubles in effect due to Simple. Then Roserade uses psych up to get a massive Atk, Def and Sdef boost (and a speed loss). Then Roserade uses ingrain to prevent wirlwind. Then you can block and destroy everything.

Lol. Clever. I saw someone do that w/ Bronzor and Bibarel on a TR team (don't ask y Bronzor, probably to show off).

You could also give Bibarel Quick Attack to laugh at everything.

Roserade is too frail. It would be better to have a follow me user to draw attention away or a bulky Pokemon (maybe in reserve) slower than Bibarel to use Psych up, so you can at least guarantee the effects that simple gives you as well as a Pokemon who will be able to take advantage of it without being killed outright.

Pretty clever indeed but you would be using two turns to set it up
Turn one
Stat boost
Psych Up
Turn two
Ingrain
Attack from bibarel
by now the oponent should have trick room or the weather they want all set and they're probably faster and you would have a hard time fighting that back. That would be the only problem I see but otherwise pretty good

I was thinking that you could also switch in Roserade later, so that bibarel can first get some boosts.
The other pokemon which is in before Roserade could be a follow me user or it could use trickroom to make up for the speed loss.
It could also use taunt/wirlwind to mess up the opponents set-up.

i had this one for a while, but havent had a chance to test it out with my full team :

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Adamant. Gluttony
252HP/4Atk/252Def
Power Trick
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Stealth Rock

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Impish. Trace.
252HP/252Def/4SpAtk
Trick Room
Magnet Rise/Recover
Thunderbolt/Recover
Ice Beam/Recover

Trick Room + Power Trick first turn = pwnage over the usual two turn setup,
but i'll be dead if a taunter comes along :P .

I've tried the power trick suckle before but it tends to get pwned before or just after it took down one of the opponents. Priority attacks = shuckle death

If you did want to use it i would advise having a trick roomer that is immune to earthquake

All (maybe not all, but most) the priority moves in the doubles battle metagame are physical. Shuckle is going to die very quickly.

Just about all priority attacks are physical. The only special priority is Vaccume Wave, and not too many Pokemon use except a few outliers like Infernape, Lucario and Blaziken....And Blaziken will usually run Mach Punch while Lucario E-Speed.....

With a Power Tricking Shuckle you may want to use Rock Slide over Stone Edge to hit both opponents at once along with a Focus Sash to have a chance of pulling it off. You'll probably also want a Trick Roomer immune to Earthquake as well, and possibly even Psych Up? Very interesting idea :p

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If ZapChomp becomes very popular, I think I shall yank out Scarf Abomasnow and see if I can call it day...

Seriously, if ZapChomp becomes too common, Hail teams will rise, due to Abomasnow being able to do heavy damage to both of them using Blizzard, while setting up hail for them. IIRC Abomasnow outspeeds both with the Scarf.

However, StallRein will become close to useless, as on the Substitute turn, ZapChomp will beat it by Discharge + EQ, or at least do heavy damage..

Mismagius
Held Item: Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Mean Look
Perish Song
Confuse Ray
Shadow Ball/Thunder Wave/Pain Split/Taunt

Electrode
Held Item: Liechi Berry
Nature: Hasty
Ability: Soundproof
Substitute
Explosion
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power [Ice]

The strategy here is to Mean Look both opponents, then Perish Song while Electrode, being immune to Perish Song thanks to Soundproof subs down to Liechi activation for a powered-up Explosion. Switch Mismagius out the 3rd turn of Explosion. By now 2 Pokemon have been KOed, and Electrode has a Liechi Boost. Switch Mismagius back in after 2 Pokemon are KOed, then Electrode goes Boom with Explosion. Mismagius is still intact, Electrode is dead, but he potenitally takes down 2 other Pokemon with him.

Looks good on paper, but may not work so well in theory. Mismagius therefore has Thunder Wave + Confuse Ray to reduce the chances of the opponnent attacking her and Electrode can safely sub down to Liechi activtion. Mismagius can also opt for Shadow Ball to hit Ghosts immune to Explosion for super-effective damage. Pain Split can also work, but I don't recommend it.

Steels screw you badly here though :/

Please give me your opinions of my strategy, it would be appreciated.

Please give me your opinions of my strategy, it would be appreciated.
A team of a Fake Out and taunter on Mismagius can quickly end the Mean Look strategy, especially if the taunter can outspeed the ghost. I would reccomend having a way to deal with that, and phazers. I'm not sure if Poke can Baton Pass/U-turn out of Mean Look, however.

Otherwise, seems to have a very crucial flaw: Entire strategy falls apart if the Poke team up on Mismagius on the first/second turn. I would reccomend running Protect on Mismagius.

I forgot to account for the TMs I would need in my breeding, so this team will take a while to finish. I'll divulge the core 4 and the general idea, though:

Rotom@Light Clay
- Discharge
- Shadow Ball
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Electivire
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- Magnet Rise

Flygon
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- U-Turn?
- Roost?

Gliscor
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang?
- Aerial Ace?

The idea is similar to Earthquake plus flying type, but now there's also Discharge + Ground type/Electivire thrown into the mix, too. Just gotta make sure I keep my type coverage up beyond that combo. I thought of giving Electivire Earthquake as well, but Brick Break has utility and different coverage. (Plus TM 26 is expensive)
...No one actually uses Gravity, right?

ZapChomp would be awesome. Combine it with Metagross or Tyranitar and you're pretty set. However, Explosion leads made ZapChomp sad :(

Oh man, I just got thrashed in PBR by a team that only had 4 Pokemon on it.
I thought that make it easier for me to pick the right four to counter, but then he tears into my Porygon2 with Fake Tears and a Super-Effective Hidden Power.
It never occurred to me to use Defence debuffs like that in doubles!
I wonder if I could try something like that.

Defense debuffs are much more viable in doubles than singles (in singles you can switch out, in doubles it is harder to switch without being at a dramatic disadvantage), if you can use them effectively they can pretty much own anyone. Fake Tears + Heatwave/Discharge or screech + EQ/Rockslide are probably the best options pairing a defnesive downer with a double hit. Screech or Fake Tears should obviously be used on the one most likely to survive.

I was thinking

@ Yache Berry
Jolly Hyper Cutter
248 Speed

~Taunt
~Rock Slide
~Earthquake
~Tailwind

-S @ Leftovers
Bold / + Sp Def nature Levitate
228 Speed

~Air Slash
~Confuse Ray
~Discharge
~Protect / Reflect

I plan on making an entire Tailwind team, but will probably end up using these 2 the most in it. Parafusion Rotom-S + Gliscor to abuse EQ, Discharge and Rock Slide/Air Slash's Flinch rate. Protect on Rotom-S b/c I will have other Pokemon who use attacks that hit all Pokemon (like Suicune w/ Tailwind and Surf) and b/c Protect is very rewarding in doubles. The EVs hit very precise # (outrunning some threats by only 1 point). If T-Tar is a pain, then HP fighting on Rotom-S, but I plan on using several Pokemon who already have water and fighting attacks, so....

Taunt on Gliscor to stop TR/Gravity. Also has Hyper Cutter b/c Double Intimidate is evil and very common in doubles.

I have a general idea of the other Pokemon I will use, but I don't have EVs/definite move sets yet....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)